Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I would pay $100 for a Backup Solution that also includes backing up or exporting my SMS Text messages in a format that I can use outside of my Palm Pre (txt document or something else).
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaderloser View Post
    Jason,

Just wondering when you thought you might have a full backup solution done? Since you are clearly the only person who "gets it" as far as what Pre uses want AND has the ability to turn that into a reality, you are basically the best and only hope for Pre humanity. Thanks for all your good work.
    Jason? It has been 3 months, any word on this? ii
    Systems Analyst by trade, Drummer by desire and Music Lover by birth. A self proclaimed Geek and gadget nut. ii

Did you know: The Pittsburgh Steelers have more championships than 21 other NFL teams combined!
    Pittsburgh Steelers-6 Time Super Bowl Champions!

Pittsburgh Penguins-3 Time Stanley Cup Champions!
    Jason I will Third and Fourth this request since I have been scouring the net for days to find a solution via WIFI because my USB plugin quit working for charging and USB connecting. Sprint is replacing my phone but if I can not find a solution with in a few days I am toast when I get my new phone. I am welcome to any suggestions. Texts and call logs are a BIG thing to me though. I have tried to figure out xorg tools and Samba and it is not my forte. I will keep trying though. Thanks in advance for any ideals.
    There already is a full back solution (excluding music/photos) and that is the Palm Profile. The problem is we dont have access to our info. If Palm were to make a web based "Palm desktop" that would be awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    There already is a full back solution (excluding music/photos) and that is the Palm Profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    The problem is we dont have access to our info.
    So, in other words, Palm doesn't have a FULL backup solution since, at a minimum, we know that music, photos, SMS history, and call history would not be backed-up.

And further, this partial backup of Palm's, or, "not-full" backup of Palm's, is not accessible. O-kaaaaaay.

Back to the all-important issue: Any progress out there with a full (bit-for-bit) backup of the PRE/PIXI?
    Quote Originally Posted by long_tall_texan View Post
    I have to agree that we need some kind of backup solution for the Pre. I want an NVBackup for the Pre like we used on the Treos. And you don't have to wait for an SD Card. Seems like one of you programming gurus could write some simple batch program that would copy the internal files to a backup folder in the USB drive, or to PC hard disk. If it just copies to the USB drive, it would be easy enough to then backup the USB Drive backup folder over to my PC. In fact, I already have a small batch file that does that automatically for me.

I actually keep 3 rolling backup copies of the USB drive side of my Pre already. Just in case anyone is interested in doing this, I will attach the batch files I use for your use too. I use MS Richcopy instead of the SyncToy or SyncBack suggested in the backup thread. Richcopy does incremental copy so it only copies what is new or changed since the last backup. It is also multi-threaded, so it copies multiple files in parallel, instead of one after the next in serial like most copy utilities. The first backup may take a while if you have a lot of music loaded on your Pre like me, but subsequent backups will be very fast. Just download richcopy.exe from Microsoft or many of the other host online. Then just download these txt files and rename from *.txt to *.bat. Hope this helps someone else...

And please one of you unix programmers step up and take on this little challenge.
    I can't rename these to .bat so RichCopy can see them. Am I just dense or am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamsys View Post
    I am surprised that there is no mention of any way to completely backup the Pre incase of total destruction...
    Xorg has scripted an excellent solution using Rsync, Samba and Cron to automate backup of the Palm pre wirelessly to a Mac or PC. As it is, the scripts backup /Media/Internal, but it can just as easily be configured to backup starting at /. Restoring anything outside of /Media is pretty much a question mark at this point, however.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    What I do is sync cloud services on my laptop. I have my contacts, e-mail, calendar syncing with OSX apps. Those are already taken care of by being stored on the cloud and then the backup on my computer. The photos also show up in iPhoto when connected to usb so sometimes I import them manually as well.

If you wanted to back up images/music you could use a syncing solution. The passwords you should know, they are common things like your e-mail, AIM etc. I have those stored in my 1password account and have a copy backed up remotely if I do forget them.

I have run WebOS doctor a few times to clear my phone, and have been back and running very quickly.
    I can't help but think there is some underlying motive for this lack. There is some deal that all solutions must be "cloud" solutions. Even if the cloud solutions are inadequate.

I mean "plug device into computer, push button = backed up" is not some weird science fiction dream, previous models of phones, PDAs, etc. did it. So why this giant leap backward, did google buy everyone at palm mind control donuts?

Sound of chanting: "Cloud is god, cloud is god, all hail master cloud..." :P

My thanks button no work!
    sweet greggo likes this.
    I realize this isn't a solution for everyone.

I use rsync over WiFi to a Linux system I set up on an old PC. I have yet to do a complete restore, but have been able to retrieve files when I needed them.

Backing Up via Rsync - WebOS Internals
    It would seem to me Jason has already made a backup app (almost) with Internalz. It can access all the files and copy to USB portion of the Pre. From there you could have it schedule a backup and automatically upload to wherever you want or send as an email attachment.

I would pay money if Internalz had a backup option. Anyone know why this hasn't been done???
    Sorry about the lack of progress. I've got a lot of projects moving at once, especially for 1 person, and as always with those kinds of situations, things take longer to mature into public releases.

Besides, at least in the short term, App Catalog backup seems pretty reliable for me and there's Internalz + WOSQI semi-backup options
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    .cloud syncing isn't anything new... When I had my treo I had a service from backupbuddy called backupbuddy.net that would backup the entire contents of the phone or just a few files that you selected.. Whichever you chose... Basically what the new service from palm or a third party would need to access the /media/cryptofs/ which I'm sure palm wouldn't allow to backup certain app settings and data ... And would also need access to the /media/internal/ which I'm sure palm wouldn't mind... As for contacts etc that's already backed up by palm .. So the only thing left would be text messages and for that you need access to the palmdatabase.db3 .... This is by far no short order so I don't think we'll be seeing anything like this from a third party ever
    just to add ... We wouldn't see anything "official" ever
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    The thing everyone has to remember is that a complete 'backup' of the Pre's databases (contacts, sms msgs, etc) just isn't that straightforward to restore.

When you sign back in with your palm profile, those databases start getting repopulated - internal ID's used to link everything together are different, etc. You cannot just overwrite the new db files with the old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    The thing everyone has to remember is that a complete 'backup' of the Pre's databases (contacts, sms msgs, etc) just isn't that straightforward to restore.

When you sign back in with your palm profile, those databases start getting repopulated - internal ID's used to link everything together are different, etc. You cannot just overwrite the new db files with the old ones.
    In my experience, with the same the backed up .db3 file, you can move/delete the .db3 file you want to restore, even after the "new" one has been made after doctoring and full erase. You just use WOSQI to extract the files (i think there's actually a sync program that can pull everything off the pre), then delete (or move or rename I guess) the .db3 file that is made when you have to reimage and log-into the pre profile, and then send the BACKUP version of same name. I only know this to work with the exact same WebOS version from what you had when you backed up to what you have when you clean everything and want to replace files. I guess i'm just clarifying that if you try to just "overwrite" the the .db3 file it causes a BUNCH of messed up problems with the calendar and other weird things that seem unfixable...but if you delete the file you are then going to replace with the backup version, then I think you're in good shape. I just want to clarify that this has only work for me for the PalmDatabase.db3 file. Whether or not its possible with ALL files on the pre (especially what we don't have access to in USB mode). Jason should have some sort of backup measure that is sufficient, with the exception of (what i think are) easily backed up files such as photos, videos, and music.
    So, in short, backup (I only know WOSQI to allow the extraction of specific files, not directories, then re-image (doctor/reset-erase) to the same version as when you backed up, then DELETE everything you will be replacing from the backed up files. Again, I only know this to work with PalmDatabase.db3, but unless I'm completely missing something (like dependencies on other files if you are not backing up and deleted and restoring EVERY FILE) I guess its theoretically possible? I personally don't know how to root the pre and ask it to download to the computer every single thing on the pre like I read in this thread or another asking the pre to send all files under "/" .

Blah, just throwing out the fact that I know it works for this one file (same phone, same webos version), but that i have to delete the new file before I place the backed up file.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    That explanation doesn't make sense. If that were true, then changes made on a PC and then synched with Companion Link would be wreaking havoc with Palm's backup, and that's not the case.

And... is it not possible to turn off Palm's backup permanently so that when I find a good sync solution, or complete backup solution, I can rely ONLY on it? That way I could keep Palm's potential conflict problems from affecting me?
    Palm OS backup everything. I restored many phones with everything.
    Now WebOS... almost everything. Well, not call logs, text, etc. I would pay for a complete backup on my system. I would pay.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goky View Post
    I mean "plug device into computer, push button = backed up" is not some weird science fiction dream, previous models of phones, PDAs, etc. did it. So why this giant leap backward, did google buy everyone at palm mind control donuts?
    I'm starting to wonder that myself. For the love of Eris, at least give us the option to back up the things--like text messages and whatnot--that the almighty cloud is not currently backing up.
    the prob with cloud backing texts is that the databases can get pretty large pretty fast.. Maybe just text messages not mms? But still..
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast