Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just figured I'd pop in here and let you all know I'll almost certainly be attempting integrating backup into a future version of either webos quick install, or a separate new app. No ETA, as I'm working on several other projects for a while yet. Plus there's lots needed to be figured out beforehand.
    Jason, as with your other apps, I am sure it will be awesome. Thanks! You were one of the ones I had in mind when I stated "one of you unix programmers". I just hoped you would happen across this.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    The missing sync is great if you dont use exchange w/ outlook. If you do all it buys you is bookmark backups..

I need all my homebrew apps, account settings, photo's that are linked to phone #'s. Ringtones linked to phones. Call history, etc etc.... I am about to reactivate my 700p.. It was so when it croaked when I was out of town... Did a full backup to the SD card, wiped it, sprint rep gave me a new one and did a restore... Walked out the store like nothing happened!

I will gladly pay $40.00 for a app that can do that
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    x
    Bringing this thread back from the dead to say that I'd also love to see a full backup capability for the Pre. As a long time Windows Mobile PDA user I'm really missing the ability to do a full backup that includes all apps, settings, sounds, etc. I just had to swap out a defective Pre and reloading and resetting everything took way too much time.
    +1
    +1 --

Jason R -- I for one, wouldn't mind to pay upwards of $20-40 for a working full backup app depending on it's capabilities. Ideally backup would be both on and off device (via ftp or remote / wifi backup to home pc).

However, one caution... In the another thread (the one about backing up SMS messages and call history by extracting the appropriate .db3 file), there was some mention that some files (specifically the .db3 database) contains device-specific information which could cause problems if backed-up and then restored to a different device... (serial # maybe?). Fine for a wipe to factory reset and restore to the same phone, but potentially troublesome if doing an exchange. (which I did 5 or 6 times with my 2003-2009 Treo 600 & 700p.

So Jason and any other developers thinking about an app like this should factor this in.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    +1.

I find it ridiculous that Palm doesn't at least back up txt messages and call logs in our Palm Profile; those can't be more than a few megs for even the heaviest users.

But I am definitely interested in a full backup solution for replacing a phone or having to use WebOS doctor to wipe the phone.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    rsync kinda works on XP, but it isn't a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Ideally backup would be both on and off device (via ftp or remote / wifi backup to home pc).
    +1 on wifi backup to home pc. Now that I'm all Touchstoned up, I just know needing to remember to plug the thing in for backups would basically = me forgetting to do any backups.

Definitely surprised me to find there is currently no means of backing up data / settings that are stored within apps.
    Palm Pilot IIIxe > LifeDrive > Pre
    I would like to see a complete filesystem backup. so all my applacations.. (modified icons) settings, themes etc can be restored just to the way i had it before.

I am chiming in because i bricked my pre today and had to Webos Doc it and it took me like 4 hours to get everything back the way i wanted it lol.

So yes 20-40$ all day long for this type of app!

Something like Sprite backup would be awesome IMO. www.spritesoftware.com
    Last edited by lordelfkin; 10/14/2009 at 05:07 PM.
    Something along the lines of BackupBuddy would be great. Backup everything on the device. I'd JUMP to pay $50-$60 for an app like that.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    What exactly does the Palm Profile back up?
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I agree that the lack of a full backup is probably my biggest concern. I am using SyncToy, but it does not seem to be backing up the hidden files. They certainly don't show up in the Preview feature of this program. I have also been connecting my Pre as a USB device and dragging and dropping the entire Pre folder into a Backup location on my computer. My question is does this copy the hidden files that hold the data I'm concerned about? I'm doubtful, as the last time I did this, Windows showed that it was copying 147 files. That doesn't sound like enough to cover everything, but maybe it is.

I would certainly be willing to pay for a good Full Backup app.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...s-etc-pre.htmlI requested a backup/restore app be made. Something to be made to backup and store our own backups on our computers. Jason even replied that he will be making something in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just figured I'd pop in here and let you all know I'll almost certainly be attempting integrating backup into a future version of either webos quick install, or a separate new app. No ETA, as I'm working on several other projects for a while yet. Plus there's lots needed to be figured out beforehand.
    That's GREAT, Jason!

My main hope is for a way to restore SMS messages, both to the same device and to a different device (in case I ever have to exchange mine). Call log would a nice second, but, yeah, the SMS thing is the biggest hole for me right now.

In fact, so much so, that while I think I have a few minor issues for which I'd like to WebOS Doctor my phone (at least one of which your WebOS Repair Utility doesn't fix yet), I'm holding off, 'cause I don't want to lose my SMSs.

Oh, and watch for the gotchas mentioned in this thread...
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ng-phones.html
    ...to which that earlier post in this thread referred:
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    +1 --

Jason R -- I for one, wouldn't mind to pay upwards of $20-40 for a working full backup app depending on it's capabilities. Ideally backup would be both on and off device (via ftp or remote / wifi backup to home pc).

However, one caution... In the another thread (the one about backing up SMS messages and call history by extracting the appropriate .db3 file), there was some mention that some files (specifically the .db3 database) contains device-specific information which could cause problems if backed-up and then restored to a different device... (serial # maybe?). Fine for a wipe to factory reset and restore to the same phone, but potentially troublesome if doing an exchange. (which I did 5 or 6 times with my 2003-2009 Treo 600 & 700p.

So Jason and any other developers thinking about an app like this should factor this in.
    Jason is my hero... You rock! Your tweaks and applications to root the Pre are so welcoming for users who are capable of customizing their Pre. Remember everyone, Donate when you are able to as many of these guys create these applications and tweaks on their spare time. If they make a business of it through the App Store, it would be great so they can actually get rid of their day job.
    Jason,

Just wondering when you thought you might have a full backup solution done? Since you are clearly the only person who "gets it" as far as what Pre uses want AND has the ability to turn that into a reality, you are basically the best and only hope for Pre humanity. Thanks for all your good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loaderloser View Post
    Jason,

Just wondering when you thought you might have a full backup solution done? Since you are clearly the only person who "gets it" as far as what Pre uses want AND has the ability to turn that into a reality, you are basically the best and only hope for Pre humanity. Thanks for all your good work.
    I second this. Needs to be done and I'll pay well for it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    This should have been done when the Pre was released in June!
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Im about to go on a trip and want to import all my contacts to Google.
    Bought the Missing Sync a week ago... and i Cannot find it anywhere in the App Catalog. Was it removed???? Fliq Bookmarks is there but no Missing Sync...am I missing something? If its not in there can someone tell me how to load the app itself or send me the Pre app? I already have it installed on my desktop just need the Pre app
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast