1.    #1  
    Is there a voice recorder app for the pre?
    i wish. someone can probably make one though
  3. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Please
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    if you have your pre rooted theres some commands you can run to get this done when i get home ill get them for u
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I din't use the voice recorder often on my old phone; but when I needed it, I REALLY needed it. When I got my Pre, I had to break out on ancient Rio Carbon MP3 player to use as a VR. Trouble is the battery in there is so old that my recording time is too short!
    I really could use this right now...
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    I really need this as an option. I don't miss windows mobile but I really need the VR option.
    I don't believe there is any official API for this so if someone makes a solution it'll have to be homebrew for now. I'm confident we'll get one at some point, however.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasracer View Post
    I don't believe there is any official API for this so if someone makes a solution it'll have to be homebrew for now. I'm confident we'll get one at some point, however.
    My understanding is that the SDK doesn't have the API to access the microphone.

Palmís fault! This is a TELEPHONE for Peteís sake. Donít they think some dev might want to access the microphone?
    This is one of the many very basic features this phone is still missing.

I would love audio recording, both for phone calls and just general voice notes.

Send palm feedback through twitter or their website, enough people do it and I bet they will get a move on it.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    I wish we could record phone calls....but hey until then the has video recording so you can record what you want to "voice record"..o wait video isn't out yet LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    My understanding is that the SDK doesn't have the API to access the microphone.

Somebody PLEASE tell me he's wrong here. I have steadfastly defended Palm and their choices in the face of hoards of idiots crying about this feature and that feature not being included, but if this is correct, that's just idiotic.

I guess that also answers my question about when I can expect to see a native skype app - not any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    I wish we could record phone calls....but hey until then the has video recording so you can record what you want to "voice record"..o wait video isn't out yet LOL
    If you have google voice this is possible. They have a feature built in to record phone conversations by pressing the #4 I believe at any time during the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Somebody PLEASE tell me he's wrong here.
    He's not. Keep in mind, however, that the SDK is still in BETA and Palm is working with us developers to try and get as many APIs as we need into the kit. So I would imagine it's on a todo list somewhere.
    If you look inside the audioTelephone-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $in$ $the$ $apps$ $directory$ $under$ $com$.$palm$.$app$.$deviceinfo$ $you$ $will$ $fine$ $how$ $to$ $write$ $the$ $code$ $for$ $a$ $voice$ $recorder$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $method$ &$quot$;$RecordSound$&$quot$; $in$ $the$ $palm$://$com$.$palm$.$crotest$&$quot$; $service$ $which$ $will$ $do$ $what$ $we$ $want$.
    SoundRec in Classic works perfectly, just have to deal with the normal Classic issues (like loading time). If you can get to the mic in classic somebody HAS to be able to figure out how to use the mic normally.
    Just plain SILLY this is. Especially when the guy next to me at a meeting was using his iPhone to record....
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Can you record video with the classic app?
    Quote Originally Posted by Parajohnd View Post
    If you look inside the audioTelephone-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $in$ $the$ $apps$ $directory$ $under$ $com$.$palm$.$app$.$deviceinfo$ $you$ $will$ $fine$ $how$ $to$ $write$ $the$ $code$ $for$ $a$ $voice$ $recorder$. $There$ $is$ $a$ $method$ &$quot$;$RecordSound$&$quot$; $in$ $the$ $palm$://$com$.$palm$.$crotest$&$quot$; $service$ $which$ $will$ $do$ $what$ $we$ $want$.
    Let me start by saying I'm not a programer... that said I've taken your idea and hacked together something that will let you recored about 5 seconds of sound and play it back, at least untill you restart your pre, then your recording is deleted. If you wanna give it a try open filecoaster and go to file url download and put in a-moron.com/vr.ipk

you can download the source here, a-moron.com/vrsource.zip it is almost an exact copy of the palm audio test program, to the point that if you run the interactive test it will overwrite the recording.

Maybe someone that actually knows how to program can take this and make it work like a more useful program, like longer recording that don't get deleted.

The most frustrating thing it me is that I don't understand programing for webOS at all, and I was able to whip this up... why can't palm just make a proper program? I'm shure it would only take one of their programmers an hour or two to whip something up... and maybe a day or two of testing.