Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Took in my Pre to Sprint store today due to depressed power button that is difficult to press down on. (Had it since launch=longer than 30 days)

They are exchanging it but claimed that the only option is to get a REFURB from the warehouse. She said the computer doesn't give an option other than ordering the refurb from the warehouse.

Anyone know the truth to this?

Can i can go to a different store to get a new one and cancel my incoming refurb?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mikeh20; 09/25/2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: After 30 days
    If its under 30 days, I would request a new one.
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Why wouldn't you want a refurb?

I'd choose one that had been reconditioned by hand over risking getting a lemon off the production line.

xtn
    You will only get a refurb. Some have gotten lucky after thr 4th or 5th to get a new one. I am fighting that fight now. Waiting for my refurb to come in today. Turned down the last two.

All the refurbs I have seen have been horrible. I hope today my luck changes.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by wickcity View Post
    If its under 30 days, I would request a new one.
    After 30 days, edited OP. Sorry for confusion.
    You could call palm and pay 29.95 and a 400 deposit and they will send you a new one. Return your phone to them and if there is no damage then they will release the hold for 400. That is my next option.
    I got my refurb from Sprint yesterday. I made them order a 2nd one in because the first refurb had crazy oreo effect. The 2nd one was on par with my current phone, so I accepted, it's in great shape. Just make sure if you aren't happy with the first one, you keep trying until you get a good phone. I got one with no dead pixels, almost no wiggle, and slider operates flawlessly, plus it's got the battery "fix".
    Unfortunately, the only option is to get a refurb from the repair depot. I am a Sprint Authorized Service center and from day one, the only option we had is advanced exchange of a refurb unit.
    If you choose a refurb and it goes bad. Do you still have the option to go through palm for a rapid exchange. I can't find anyone that can answer this.
    I am fairly certain you can go through Palm anytime for a raid exchange no matter if reburb or not...AS LONG AS it is still within the 1 year warranty period.
    That's what I was thinking since the refurbs are there's. Thanks
    my "refurb" was actually a brand new pre minus the accessories and oem box. Check it using the hash code, ##786# or something like that... if it is really a refurb it will have a reconditioned date in there...there is a thread somewhere with a bunch of people confirming that the refurb sprint told them they were getting was actually a new device...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    ^^^ This is TRUE in about half the cases when the Pre first came out. There have been more instances now that it has been out ofr a bit of getting an actual refurb, which goes to reason. So I would say its probably still a 50/50 chance of getting a new one/refurb one. A year from now, most all tradeins/exchanges will get nothing but a refurb. - or a different device of comparable price/features dependent upon Palm's lineup.
    BB swapped on spot with a new one for my sister. After 30 days. Has BB insurance tho.
    Unfortunately Sprint refurbs are just polished up returns.

I had two refurbs sent to me, both with scratches that had been polished to try n make look new. Neither had been opened up as they still had the original Palm tamper sticker on to top right bolt. Both had issues and now i neef to go to a service center to see if they can repair the refurb
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    took my 2 weeks old "oreo" into the sprint store yesterday. On the spot swap for a brandy new IN BOX unit and all accesories. Seems ok so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by davedsone View Post
    took my 2 weeks old "oreo" into the sprint store yesterday. On the spot swap for a brandy new IN BOX unit and all accesories. Seems ok so far.
    TRUE....but we are talking about POST 30 day returns....2 weeks is only 10-15 days, depending on who you work for...lol
    The ones I have seen really don't look like anything was done to them. I opened the back and it looked like someone dropped the phone and the back came off causing scratches inside the casing. Really bad but the icing on the cake was the phone wouldn't power on. The sprint rep didn't say a word. Its crazy that they are allowed to send these out as refurbs. I think if I keep the pre I will definitely need TEP.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Unfortunately Sprint refurbs are just polished up returns.

I had two refurbs sent to me, both with scratches that had been polished to try n make look new. Neither had been opened up as they still had the original Palm tamper sticker on to top right bolt. Both had issues and now i neef to go to a service center to see if they can repair the refurb
    The refurb i have is flawless inside and out. You don't think they've got the ability to replace the tamper sticker when they refurb them? My refurb feels as good as my previous one did(that one felt great from the day I got it on). Thats why you should make them send them back until they send you a good one, like I did. You have rights as a customer, use them!
    When they open them a different tamper sticker is used. Not the Palm OEM one.

I am glad you received a good refurb on the first try. Thats excellent..... on the other hand I did not.

I am excersicing them at the moment.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast