1.    #1  
    I understand that rooting is gaining access to the operating system more or less.

What I don't understand is, is this something that is really important to do and why? I've read posts talking about it and get lost/confused, mainly due to the length of the threads and the jumping around inside the thread...

I have no doubt, I could figure out how to Root my Pre as I'm pretty good at figuring stuff out, I guess I just haven't seen a real benifit yet. I thought about it for the tethering app and the flashlight app, but both of those are now root free, if I am correct. I do enjoy customizing my phone to an extent, but have no desire to write any apps.

Can someone please explain the benefits, maybe some apps that are only available through rooting....

Thanks
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    The developers have pretty much made it where you don't have to root your phone to install custom apps now. I use the SSH for quick access to the file system which is nice and convenient which required rooting
    There is really no need to root anymore. I did it mainly for the ability to forward messages. Now, it's available as a "tweak" in Quick Install.

My opinion, just download WebOS Quick Install, and with that load Preware onto your Pre, and that should be enough.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Aside from changing app icons to match my theme, I hardly ever SSH into the phone anymore.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies. WebOS and Preware is what I have been using. I had filecoaster and something else on my other phone, didn't worry about them this time around.

Thanks again.