Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for a good 1.5 months, and while I've been able to tell that Sprint's network isn't "as" strong as Verizon's (which I previously had), I've had no real problems other than the occasional roaming inside buildings.

My Pre has been on for 2 hours so far today, and it's been searching and failing to reach a data connection the entire time. I've used my Pre in this spot since I got it, and it usually has 3-5 bars. The sky is clear, I'm looking out a window, and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't able to make a connection.

Could this be a Sprint problem? (Tower malfunctioning?) This isn't anything wrong with my pre, is it? :X
    Find somebody with another sprint phone and compare. Yes, it very well could be the tower. Something could be wrong with the fiberoptics over there.
    reset your phone, I've had my phone just give up and go into offline mode (my work building sucks for any cell signal) and a reset usually helps.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    My data connection drops completely on the pre for no reason, often while starting up a program or clicking a link in the browser. And I'm on a completely un-modified version of the OS. I suspect the software is causing the OS network driver to crash in some way. Phone signal stays up, just that the data connection icon disappears.

Restarting the phone works for me, but obviously this isn't a satisfactory condition.
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I've tried restarting it once already and nothing changed. This does happen to me in one part of one building I sometimes go into, but it's NEVER happened here, and usually even in that one building I can get a LITTLE bit of EVDO from time to time. I got nothin right now, and 2 hours is a long time.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    If I run into signal/data issues. I turn the phone to Airplane Mode to reset the radio. I have also updated my Network/PRL settings in Phone Preferences. Seems to help a bit.

Also make sure you have a data connection available to update the PRL. Sprint allows Data Roaming as well do you have that enabled?
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I turned data roaming on when I noticed it wouldn't pick up a data signal, but apparently it isn't even roaming because there's no R next to my signal bars.

I tried turning airplane mode on and off, no luck
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hammysink View Post
    My data connection drops completely on the pre for no reason, often while starting up a program or clicking a link in the browser. And I'm on a completely un-modified version of the OS. I suspect the software is causing the OS network driver to crash in some way. Phone signal stays up, just that the data connection icon disappears.

Restarting the phone works for me, but obviously this isn't a satisfactory condition.
    i've noticed this too. opening a web browser will do it. streaming data, like from pandora or accuradio, tend to keep the signal strength up.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    I've had my Pre for a good 1.5 months, and while I've been able to tell that Sprint's network isn't "as" strong as Verizon's (which I previously had), I've had no real problems other than the occasional roaming inside buildings.

My Pre has been on for 2 hours so far today, and it's been searching and failing to reach a data connection the entire time. I've used my Pre in this spot since I got it, and it usually has 3-5 bars. The sky is clear, I'm looking out a window, and I don't see any reason why I shouldn't able to make a connection.

Could this be a Sprint problem? (Tower malfunctioning?) This isn't anything wrong with my pre, is it? :X
    Today is a good reception day for me in my office but the last week or 2 have been pretty bad. It was good for awhile before that...
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadnic View Post
    I've tried restarting it once already and nothing changed. This does happen to me in one part of one building I sometimes go into, but it's NEVER happened here, and usually even in that one building I can get a LITTLE bit of EVDO from time to time. I got nothin right now, and 2 hours is a long time.
    Sorry to hear that I think it may be a YMMV type thing. Strange thing for me is that signal reception in my office is not to bad. I still stream pandora, receive emails, calls etc. The building I am in would seem bad for reception as well (Older brick building thick walls, high windows etc..)

I have a Basement Apartment and my signal reception there is horrible, I constantly roam etc..

Oh yeah I can't get a signal in Wal-Mart eaither

But for me updating my network and PRL helped quite a bit, again YMMV.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

This is still happening to me, many times a day. Is anyone NOT having this condition? I'm about to take it in.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

i get very similar problems, especially inside a building and random spots outside when my signal drops from full to none in a matter of inches
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunkin View Post
    Sorry to hear that I think it may be a YMMV type thing. Strange thing for me is that signal reception in my office is not to bad. I still stream pandora, receive emails, calls etc. The building I am in would seem bad for reception as well (Older brick building thick walls, high windows etc..)

I have a Basement Apartment and my signal reception there is horrible, I constantly roam etc..

Oh yeah I can't get a signal in Wal-Mart eaither

But for me updating my network and PRL helped quite a bit, again YMMV.
    If you call sprint and tell them you get poor reception in the house they will send you an airRave for free and wave the monthly fee. I have one and it works great.