1.    #1  
    Ok, Well lately after I've been hacking and SDKing my pre I've noticed now I don't know if this is because I hacked my pre but lately after I close my pre's keyboard if I shut it fast it will shut my entire phone off. Has this happened to anyone else. If it has I'm sorry for the double post.
    Yeah, this has been discussed in at least 3 different threads in the last 24 hours, and probably a dozen in the last week.

The most common is a battery that is a little loose in the battery compartment. You can test it by using a folded up scrap of paper to keep the battery held firmly against the contacts. If that fixes it, that was the problem. If not, you have no choice but getting your Pre replaced.

If the paper does the trick, you can just stick with that, or take your pre back to wherever you got it and demonstrate the problem. Most folks either get a replacement Pre, or a tighter fitting battery on the spot.

The only thing that makes me wonder if your issue is different, is that you just started noticing it after a bunch of hacks. However, I can't imagine how a software problem could be causing this.
  3.    #3  
    Yes when it happens it seems as my pre dies and the screen fades away, and goes black. Then sometimes it won't restart right away, and I have to take the battery out and put it back in place. Also with the piece of paper do I put it under the battery or on top of it.
    Last edited by right2yadome; 09/25/2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by right2yadome View Post
    ...with the piece of paper do I put it under the battery or on top of it.
    Neither.

When you look at the battery, you'll see that the contacts are along one of the edges. You'll place the folded up piece of paper (should be 1-2m thick) between the opposite end from the contacts, and the inside of the battery compartment so that the wedge of folded up paper presses the battery more firmly against the contacts.
    Now that's tech. Support for ya lol.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Corrected thread title to match content.
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    Ok, Well lately after I've been hacking and SDKing my pre I've noticed now I don't know if this is because I hacked my pre but lately after I close my pre's keyboard if I shut it fast it will shut my entire phone off. Has this happened to anyone else. If it has I'm sorry for the double post.
    Step 1. Drive to the nearest Sprint store.
    Step 2. Tell them you're having the issue with the Pre where you shut it and it powers down (believe me, they are very familiar with the issue).
    Step 3. If they didn't already offer, tell them you need them to replace the battery.
    Step 4. Slam your Pre shut with the new battery and notice that it doesn't power down anymore.
    Sprint recently sent a communication out to all service centers to replace the battery on the Pre with a battery that has cell origin from Korea for any phone having the shut off problem. The only problem we are having now, is that they do not have any more batteries for us to order. (and of course, I have one of the batteries that need replacing in my Pre!! )
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Yeah, this has been discussed in at least 3 different threads in the last 24 hours, and probably a dozen in the last week.

The most common is a battery that is a little loose in the battery compartment. You can test it by using a folded up scrap of paper to keep the battery held firmly against the contacts. If that fixes it, that was the problem. If not, you have no choice but getting your Pre replaced.

If the paper does the trick, you can just stick with that, or take your pre back to wherever you got it and demonstrate the problem. Most folks either get a replacement Pre, or a tighter fitting battery on the spot.

The only thing that makes me wonder if your issue is different, is that you just started noticing it after a bunch of hacks. However, I can't imagine how a software problem could be causing this.
    With all these posts you think you would not have such incorrect answers. The Pre does not need to be replaced, the battery does.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    With all these posts you think you would not have such incorrect answers. The Pre does not need to be replaced, the battery does.
    I never said the Pre needed to be replaced. I said that when you take it in to a sprint store, you will either get a new battery that fits tighter, or a replacement Pre.

This is factual and correct.

The battery is the simplest fix, but several people have reported having their pre's replaced, presumably by Sprint store employees who didn't know about the battery size issue.

Getting the whole Pre replaced if the paper trick doesn't work is also correct, because if that doesn't work, then it's some separate issue not related to the battery.

Oh, and thanks for the thinly veiled insult.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I never said the Pre needed to be replaced. I said that when you take it in to a sprint store, you will either get a new battery that fits tighter, or a replacement Pre.

This is factual and correct.

The battery is the simplest fix, but several people have reported having their pre's replaced, presumably by Sprint store employees who didn't know about the battery size issue.

Getting the whole Pre replaced if the paper trick doesn't work is also correct, because if that doesn't work, then it's some separate issue not related to the battery.

Oh, and thanks for the thinly veiled insult.
    dont worry its just another clone lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  12.    #12  
    Anyway to get a picture of what you mean veedubb would appreciate it. Everytime i put the paper in the way im doing it, the phone won't turn on. Off topic but does anone have one of those ed hardy cases for the pre, and if so where the heck do you buy those. That ed hardy online site doesn't even have them. Also I called sprint up and they I told them about how everytime i slide my keyboard back up my phone dies. They said I can go to the closest store and get a replacement out of courtesy because I was being a gentleman.
    I already have the newer battery with my mid june build Pre yet I have this issue. Does my pre need replacing then?
    Take it to sprint and show them what it does when you close the phone ,maybe it needs replacing and maybe not.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη