Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    And, boy, it sure looks like Verizon loves to use their gag orders just like they used it on Motorola during the Cliq debut. If you're not familiar with that one see here:

Is Motorola Getting Cranky at Verizon Over Android? - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

But here's all Palm could say, given restraints:

Palm Reaffirms Plans After Report That Verizon Won’t Use Pre

Sept. 25 (Bloomberg) -- Palm Inc., maker of the Pre smart phone, reiterated its plan to work with additional wireless carriers in the second half of fiscal 2010.

The announcement came after TheStreet.com reported that Verizon Wireless scrapped plans to sell the Pre, sending Palm shares down 4.7 percent yesterday. Derick Mains, a spokesman for Palm, declined to say if the statement was in response to the report, saying Palm doesn’t comment on rumor or speculation.

Palm, which currently offers the Pre exclusively through Sprint Nextel Corp., said last week that it would distribute its devices through other carriers in the second half, without saying which ones. Verizon, the biggest U.S. wireless carrier, had said in May that it planned to offer the Pre after Sprint’s exclusive contract ends.

TheStreet.com, citing unidentified people close to the talks, said yesterday that Verizon abandoned a plan to offer the Pre in January because the phone hasn’t become a blockbuster seller. Jim Gerace, a spokesman for Verizon, declined to comment.

More here:
    Palm Reaffirms Plans After Report That Verizon Won’t Use Pre - Bloomberg.com
    Last edited by SharonW; 09/25/2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
    For those who are wondering, Palm's "second half of the fiscal year 2010" starts around January.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    For those who are wondering, Palm's "second half of the fiscal year 2010" starts around January.
    Thanks. I was wondering if I should clarify that myself.
    It says other carriers it does not say other carriers in the us. It could be a international onslaught.
    We should also point out that there are at least 2 webOS devices that we know about. It's possible Verizon might pass on the Pre and still have a webOS device.
    Except that it starts on 1 December.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    And, boy, it sure looks like Verizon loves to use their gag orders just like they used it on Motorola during the Cliq debut. If you're not familiar with that one see here:

Is Motorola Getting Cranky at Verizon Over Android? - News and Analysis by PC Magazine

But here's all Palm could say, given restraints:
    It's not clear from this write-up that Palm is refuting the rumors about Verizon lack of interest. All they seem to be saying is that Palm will work with multiple carriers; which is nothing new. Sharon, am I missing something here???
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Except that it starts on 1 December.
    I didn't have the exact date offhand and I wasn't going to look for it at 3am, but thanks for that. I just knew offhand that the first quarter results were a week or so ago, and that the fourth quarter results were in June, so was estimating.

That's why I said "around January" and not a specific date.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Palm not saying that the phone will be available on multiple U.S. carriers is telling. Sprint, Bell, & O2 qualify as multiple carriers, but none of those are gonna help this this take off the way it should.
    for those who are wondering, palm's "second half of the fiscal year 2010" starts around january.

lmfao!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    this really sucks! I'm working on an app and was really banking on this phone going over to verizon....AARRGGGH!!
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    The people who are waiting on Verizon, who MAY have lied about carrying the Pre, just need to switch to Sprint and become another happy Pre owner and Sprint customer.

I think the comments pre-launch by both carriers (Verizon and at&t) were to help stem customer churn (switching carriers). They may have also spent an enormous amount on negative publicity for the Pre. Neither company is afraid to spend to get what they want. Look at what they spend on lobbying and political contributions, millions upon millions.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    I suppose it's also possible that Palm had no intention of letting Verizon have the Pre (given their habit of crippling devices). It's possible that Verizon wanted to cripple things on the Pre that would make it a completely different phone. Verizon might just be making it look like it was all their decision.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    this really sucks! I'm working on an app and was really banking on this phone going over to verizon....AARRGGGH!!
    Why Verizon?? You sure they would even allow your app to work on their version?
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Yea if the verizon gets the pre they are gonna block all kinds of **** from the app store
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    lmfao!
    Not sure what's so funny about pointing out the general time around when Palm's fiscal calendar is. Many corporations' fiscal calendars don't match up with the actual calendar, so to avoid confusion I gave a general estimate of when it is.