Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 115 of 115
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Good post and valid points. I realize it's hard to keep up with who is complaining about what, but I am patient about most things you listed and even agree with you that they can take time.

    About the calendar. True, it was never stellar, but it was fast and efficient. It's all I'm expecting from the one on the Pre. It's great that it pulls in multiple calendars from the cloud, but why does this advancement has to come at the expense of proven functionality from the old Palm OS calendar?

    Specifically, the problem areas are time and date entry and moving between views.

    Palm preserved the condensed day view, maybe because it's now obsessed with all things visual, but watered down the Details widget, which let you see which day, not just day number, you were entering, and gave you a spacious calendar widget to tap on for selecting a day. The time selection widget, which Palm actually used as an example of proper design in its Palm OS UI Guidelines book, was replaced by a primitive and fiddly set of scrolling wheels.

    These have nothing to do with time constraints, they are design flaws from someone who doesn't understand what was good about the old OS, if they even used it.

    Similarly, not having an agenda view might have been fine if moving between page views was smooth as scrolling through an agenda list. But the lag makes this very frustrating. That it pulls down multiple calendars has nothing to do with the lag, there is no technical reason for the lag to exist, it's just bad implementation. There are also bugs with the calendar reminders but this can be a matter of time to get fixed.

    So while I agree and am plenty patient about the other items you mention, the calendar is inexcusable, and from reports on release 1.2, it doesn't appear that Palm thinks the calendar is a priority.
    Who needs a calendar??...my phone works perfectly for what I purchased it for..iTunes syncing. Oh, wait....
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Who needs a calendar??...my phone works perfectly for what I purchased it for..iTunes syncing. Oh, wait....
    lol
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    My point is that all of these added innovations occurred over a period of years after the Treo was introduced. Often, they were out and out purchased from third party developers. Those that were developed "in-house" were developed by people that are long gone.

    New device, new operating system, new concept. Things take time.

    Which brings us full circle. Patience. It's been < 4 months.
    We're not so far apart, you and I. As I said, what you take as impatience on my part is actually concern.

    If a person is looking for a phone that does a bunch of "cool" things, they will probably go for an iPhone. If they need to run business apps and have corpnet connectivity they will probably buy a BlackBerry. If they want a phone that's fun, flexible and useful they are increasingly turning to the Android. I believe the Pre is superior to all these platforms, but most of that is tied up in potential right now.

    Of course, as you say, it's young, functionality will follow, it does take time. However, my employer subsidizes our phones with an allowance rather than provide us with phones, and given that freedom not many of my coworkers are selecting the Pre. Some have been put off by what they heard about the oreo effect, others have looked at the Pre but decided it lacked basic functions, and of those I have had many tell me that they thought Palm was more concerned with playing catch-up with Apple than addressing shortfalls. It doesn't matter whether this is true or not, it is the first thing that non-owners think of when they hear about the Pre. People who previously had no idea that a USB steering body even existed now know that Palm is in violation of their terms. Those people at work who are moving away from the BlackBerry are increasingly going to the Android, especially now with all the new offerings available.

    People who currently have a Rumor or ENV3 are not going to make the switch if they perceive it to be a downgrade. Even people who research the Pre and recognize its potential will be slow to make the switch if they think that Palm is only concerned with fighting with Apple over iTunes rather than providing functionality that most people feel it should have had on release day. And to be clear, I'm talking about support for the major messenger protocols and email tools, I don't consider video recording or text forwarding to be basic, or even essential. Right now Palm needs to get the word out about how much they're doing to improve the Pre to people who don't read this site, stop letting the trade press focus on the least important aspect of upcoming updates and plug the holes between what most other phones have always been able to do and what the Pre may be able to do someday.
  4. #104  
    I no longer have a Palm Pre, because, unlike those who complain about certain missing features, I returned mine because I decided that my money would be better spent on a device that has voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to willingly hang on to ANY purchase of any kind only to grow increaingly frustrated with it, knowing that I have the wherewithall to return said purchase to reclaim my money and my sanity. Oh how I miss the Pre though!! Had I been in the market for a Pre as a multimedia device then I would probably be typing a post from a Palm Pre right now. But my mobile device is an integral part of my business life so these features (perhaps not the video) are necessary for me. Let me say, before I see fangs and hear knashing of Palmprecentral teeth, that the Palm Pre IS, in my opinion, a legitimate business device. It just lacks the aforementioned functions that my mobile device is required to have.

    Am I ok? Is it safe to come out? lol

    By the way, I found it incredibly difficult to open the slider after I'd washed my hands! My thumb would just slide up the screen, unable to get a grip!

    I think it's a great phone. I wanted to keep it. One day it may have those features that I require of a smartphone. Then I may be back to give Palm another look. So I keep my ear to the ground in these forums.

    It's mighty disconcerting and more than a little disappointing to see how folks talk to each other in threads like this. Both sides of the Pre arguement are guilty of insults and denegration, whether those are artful and subtle ( you know who you are) or raw and blatant. One has no claim to higher moral ground than the other. You are only on the other side of the same coin.

    So I'm glad the moderator stepped in to restablish the civility, although I would have PM'd the OP to rewrite the thread starter in a more civil tone, not negating the essence of his post, for he had some legitimate ideas.

    As I read all this raw emotion, from ALL sides regarding this Palm Pre, I realized that the vast majority of you, on both sides of the aisle, will be moving on to the next mobile 'hotness" once your $150 upgrade arrives. What a delicious irony that it is.
  5. #105  
    I'm curious, what did you get that has voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights?
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm curious, what did you get that has voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights?
    BB Tour has all that out of the box.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by nreeldeep View Post
    I no longer have a Palm Pre, because, unlike those who complain about certain missing features, I returned mine because I decided that my money would be better spent on a device that has voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights. It makes no sense to me whatsoever to willingly hang on to ANY purchase of any kind only to grow increaingly frustrated with it, knowing that I have the wherewithall to return said purchase to reclaim my money and my sanity. Oh how I miss the Pre though!! Had I been in the market for a Pre as a multimedia device then I would probably be typing a post from a Palm Pre right now. But my mobile device is an integral part of my business life so these features (perhaps not the video) are necessary for me. Let me say, before I see fangs and hear knashing of Palmprecentral teeth, that the Palm Pre IS, in my opinion, a legitimate business device. It just lacks the aforementioned functions that my mobile device is required to have.

    Am I ok? Is it safe to come out? lol

    By the way, I found it incredibly difficult to open the slider after I'd washed my hands! My thumb would just slide up the screen, unable to get a grip!

    I think it's a great phone. I wanted to keep it. One day it may have those features that I require of a smartphone. Then I may be back to give Palm another look. So I keep my ear to the ground in these forums.

    It's mighty disconcerting and more than a little disappointing to see how folks talk to each other in threads like this. Both sides of the Pre arguement are guilty of insults and denegration, whether those are artful and subtle ( you know who you are) or raw and blatant. One has no claim to higher moral ground than the other. You are only on the other side of the same coin.

    So I'm glad the moderator stepped in to restablish the civility, although I would have PM'd the OP to rewrite the thread starter in a more civil tone, not negating the essence of his post, for he had some legitimate ideas.

    As I read all this raw emotion, from ALL sides regarding this Palm Pre, I realized that the vast majority of you, on both sides of the aisle, will be moving on to the next mobile 'hotness" once your $150 upgrade arrives. What a delicious irony that it is.
    See, now, to me, this is the exception that proves the rule (bad use of the cliche, I know, but it's early). This gentleman recognized what the Pre was missing and (I'm presuming) rather than coming to the forum and complaining loudly and obnoxiously about it, he went out and got something that gave him what he needed.

    And, I'm sure he was able to make the exchange (or return and carrier switch, or whatever) fairly easily, because the features he was missing--voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights--would have been easy to discover within the first 30 days. Heck, they would have been easy to discover within the first 30 seconds.

    None of these features are deal-breakers for me personally, and each of them will in all likelihood make it to the Pre sooner rather than later. And so they're just not important to me and, I'm guessing, some significant number of other Pre owners. But notice that this gentleman spoke about his own experience and his own needs--he didn't make the blanket statement that the Pre "sucks" and Palm "sucks" because the Pre doesn't have these features "that all modern smartphones have."

    I don't know about everyone else, but I don't appreciate when it's implied that I'm stupid for buying such a POS as the Pre when it's missing such obviously standard and baseline features (DWS, of course). But, that's exactly what all of these folks do when they state their opinion as fact, and point out how smart they are and--by implication, how stupid the rest of us are--for realizing just how much of a waste of money is the Pre and how we're all suckers for falling under Palm's spell. And that's why some other folks respond negatively to such pronouncements.

    I'm probably as much of a "f a n b o i" as anyone here, and I've been known myself to point out some of the limitations of the Pre. I don't think it's perfect, nor that Palm's perfect, nor that Sprint's perfect. I recognize that there are other devices out there that currently do more than the Pre. And, I really don't care. The reason is because the strengths of the Pre outweigh the weaknesses for me. It's as simple as that.

    I don't mind it at all when people come on the forum and point out where the Pre can be improved. Of course I don't. But what does bother me to no end is when people do so for no other purpose than to complain--they're not looking for solutions, they're not willing to listen when others provide alternatives or workarounds, and--it would seem--all they're really doing is venting their own frustration over having made a poor purchasing decision.

    This gentleman's post doesn't do that, and again that's what makes it the exception. It shows how a person can make a point with civility and calm, and even if I don't agree with it, I take no offense because he's explicitly recognizing that his standards might be different than mine. And that makes all the difference in the world.

    Edit: Funny that f a n b o i (without the spaces) is blocked... I mean, is that really so much of a swear word?
    Last edited by wynand32; 09/26/2009 at 11:15 AM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    BB Tour has all that out of the box.
    Thanks for that information, but that wasn't what I asked...
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm curious, what did you get that has voice dial, video, text forwarding, and notification lights?
    Kupe is correct in the choice of phone. I was going to exchange the Pre for the Tour, but decided to refund the Pre and reactivate my buggy, ofttimes sluggish, old standby, the Touch Pro. I'm so used to the touch application I decided to stay with it. Despite its foibles, the Pro took care of me during the past year. I plan to hang with this Pro while I maintain my Palm 'watch' because I would really like to give the Pre another go.

    In deference to the thread title, the Palm Pre definitely is the phone for me...soon (I hope).

    I think it's beautiful in its simplicity of style. Looks like nothing else on the market. The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The WebOs is a marvel. I fell in love with the universal search!!

    The Pre integrated seamlessly into my life. But as Wynand32 so deftly pointed out, I discovered within a few moments that there were features not included in the Pre that I find necessary for my professional usage. Understand that I did not characterize those "missings" as shortcomings. Rather, omissions. As is pointed out everyday in this forum, not everybody is tripping about text forwarding or voice recording. It was at the point that I knew I would reluctantly return the phone. But I held on to it for a few more days because I was already a convert of sorts and didn't want to let it go. Of course I realized that returning the Pre didn't spell the end of the relationship. Rather it signaled hopefully a temporary separation.

    I guess it's safe to say I'm a Palm fan although I don't own a Palm device at the moment. But I certainly champion Palm and its efforts to successfully gain market and mind share. And of course I root for the Palm Pre.

    For those tripping over the current Pre price drops and the discussion about the device going to Verizon, these items should be celebrated. If dropping the price puts more Pre's in the hands of consumers, thus raising the popularity quotient of the Pre, I'm all for it. Just as I co-sign the Verizon juggernaut (come on, 80 million customers, having added 1 million + last quarter) adding the Pre to it's ranks.
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by nreeldeep View Post
    Kupe is correct in the choice of phone. I was going to exchange the Pre for the Tour, but decided to refund the Pre and reactivate my buggy, ofttimes sluggish, old standby, the Touch Pro. I'm so used to the touch application I decided to stay with it. Despite its foibles, the Pro took care of me during the past year. I plan to hang with this Pro while I maintain my Palm 'watch' because I would really like to give the Pre another go.
    ...
    I'm glad you responded. Frankly, I had never considered text forwarding as a "business need", but your response sounds well thought out enough to convince me, unlike the other "I really WANT to like the Pre" bits of nonsense we see around here.

    I take it multi-colored alerts aren't a requirement? I don't see a software solution coming for that one... The others, I think we'll see farily soon.

    I was seriously considering a BB when the Pre was announced, and then decided to wait. (Ironically, I'm still going to have to carry a BB, but it will be the govt's DOD approved unit, but that will be in addition to the Pre); however, that was when I was used to the Treo's browser. After experiencing the Pre browser, there's no way I could use a BB's regularly, and be satisified.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Thanks for that information, but that wasn't what I asked...
    The Omnia fits your stated criteria too, but the notification light is pretty lame.

    Edit Add: Looks like the Samsung Saga does too.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The Omnia fits your stated criteria too, but the notification light is pretty lame.

    Edit Add: Looks like the Samsung Saga does too.
    You really should go back and re-read my question. I never asked what devices fit the criteria of having those things... My "criteria" was only one... What device did he purchase. The listed criteria was his.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You really should go back and re-read my question. I never asked what devices fit the criteria of having those things... My "criteria" was only one... What device did he purchase. The listed criteria was his.
    Kupe's suggestions of other phones with the stated feature set might be helpful to other readers (even though only nreeldeep can (and did) answer your specific question).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  14. Olivia23's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #114  
    I owned the Pre for a few weeks and wasn't happy with it. My slider was very loose, I had at least 6 dead pixels, and I was impatient waiting on the app store to get started. I came from the iPhone and went back to it and I am very happy. I love the fact that with the iPhone I can jailbreak it and put whatever I want on it. Now I do miss the Pre and the reason I keep coming on here is I'm waiting to see when they finally get their app catalog built up. I'm still interested in the Pre because even though I like the iPhone, I hate At&t and there outrageous prices!
  15.    #115  
    Wow I'm glad I stuck with my Pre!! Great job Palm. I knew after researching the phone that the pre was a great phone for me.

    Palm, you have now surpassed my expectations, Thank you!

    For those that bailed? Too bad, so sad you should've sold me your other ones. I still need 2 more.

    PS I still have my launch day pre and it's awesome.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions