Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 115
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If sexy is more important to you than function, that's your decision, and doesn't bother me at all. But don't criticize me for choosing the opposite. I don't have sex with my phone. I do use it to get work done. For that, I'll choose Janeane. Well, not really, but I'll choose intelligence and capability over cleavage and short skirts.
    That sounds dangerously close to insulting Ms. Fox--and them would therefore be fightin' words!

    Let's be real--I've seen nothing that shows me that Garofalo's any more intelligent than Megan Fox. In fact, I've seen nothing that shows me that Garofalo's any more intelligent than the typical pet rock.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    (FWIW, neither of us have a chance with Megan. I'd rather have sex with Janeane that with myself. )
    Oh, God, I think I'm going to hurl... "sex with Janeane"...

    And speak for yourself re: chances with Megan. I personally think I'm just _this_ close...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  2. #42  
    Its funny...I made a post about two weeks ago that advocated positivity about the pre, because I was recommending it to a friend. Everyone jumped down my throat about how they can complain all they want, this person makes a post and now its hot ****? I'm ****ssssed
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I disagree. The OP expressed an opinion. If he had been egocentric, he would have said those that don't like the Pre have something wrong with them. Instead, he said that this is probably not the phone for them.
    (emphasis mine in the above)

    He actually did say something along those lines:

    "I wonder if it's a combination of trolls, fan boys or just smartphone users that just can't be patient for the apps come in for the pre?? Whether it's just people that wan't Palm to fail or that they just truly don't like the pre?"

    and

    "I hear seemingly minor complaints "Oh Palm won't talk to me and give me updates everyday" or "The pre should have a trackball" or I wan't a kizzillion apps right now!! Whaaa! But seriously, maybe it's YOU who didn't do the research and just got the wrong phone? Whine, whine, whine, troll, troll, troll! I'm beginning to think that 10 pct have legitamate complaints, 20-25 pct of you are trolls, 50 pct love their pre (like me) and maybe 15-20 pct of you should've just waited or gotten another phone because it's not just the right phone for you."

    I really can't read this objectively and not feel it's argumentative and pre-flaming (ouch, pun not intended) those who would disagree.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I think the OP was simply saying he fits that category, and suggesting that those that don't probably shouldn't get the phone.
    I think I'm reading it much different than you are, I guess. Oh well.
  4. #44  
    The way i see it, there is a phone for everyone, if at the core you disagree with how the Pre conducts it's business then you should sell the phone.

    If you have legitimate complaints like random resets(fix this palm!!!!) or lack of a scrubber in the music app, then i feel those complaints are justified. just not everyday,
  5. #45  
    I think those who have multiple replacements are bigger pre lovers because they stick WITH it through so many. Its easy to love something that is perfect (in the users eyes). So take that.
  6. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    The way i see it, there is a phone for everyone, if at the core you disagree with how the Pre conducts it's business then you should sell the phone.

    If you have legitimate complaints like random resets(fix this palm!!!!) or lack of a scrubber in the music app, then i feel those complaints are justified. just not everyday,
    At the same time there are basic features a phone should have if you want to now be categorized as a smart phone. I think many ppl here are too much of fan boyz to realise that. Palm is becoming like apple waiting months to release features that should have been released at launch. Palm should have waited before they released the device to work out these kinks. In as much as they claim they're not competing with the iphone or BB they are in terms of consumers.
    Last edited by Leke; 09/25/2009 at 01:43 PM.
  7. #47  
    I think the OP is missing the main reason for the majority of complaints. It all boils down to basic functions not being available at launch. Compare the treo 650 released in 2004 to the pre. It had the ability to download images for browser, full copy paste function, full featured PIM suite (calendar, tasks,memos), camera, and camcorder out of the box. Remember this is back in 2004. While I understand not having a camcorder and maybe..just maybe not having a desktop solution until later not having the same quality of PIM functionality is a HUGE letdown. As well as the ability to download files from the browser which is available on everyone smartphone. Those are the reasons everyone is upset. And for you to not recognize that is being naive. Hell the so called cheap teenage friendly centro did all that and more.
  8. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    I think those who have multiple replacements are bigger pre lovers because they stick WITH it through so many. Its easy to love something that is perfect (in the users eyes). So take that.
    Ya sure that logic worked so well for Ford and GM. In and out of repair shops months after a new purchase how many customers stuck with them before the jumped ship to foreign vehicles?
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You know what? You're post is not only insulting, it's rather egocentric. Your attitude that because the phone is for you, and yours has never broken, then all the people with different experience must be trolls or otherwise brought on their own problems, is insulting to all those who have legitimate issues. Some of whom, by the way, have been involved with smartphones and the *-central forums for a long, long time and are deserving of respect for what they've contributed.

    And I think your post goes a long way to explain the difference in your experience compared to others. You admit to coming from a dumb phone. By that admission, you have no basis of comparison to other smartphones. And what excites you most is that you can play several games at once.

    On the other hand, there are those of us who have been using smartphones for years, and use them as a tool for organizing our lives, not as a platform for playing games. Our use and experience lets us see just how weak the Pre is as a business tool.

    And as tired as you are of people complaining about updates taking too long, I'm tired of listening to people make excuses becuase it's a new OS. If you're willing to put up with the problems caused by the lack of polish, features and apps, that's your business. But you need to understand that we're not comparing the Pre to a dumb phone, or the 1st gen iPhone. We're comparing it to Treos, and BlackBerries, and G phones, and iPhones that are a lot more capable in most respects. The Pre needs to match up against it's competition sooner, rather than later, if Palm expects to compete long term in this business. The 1.2 OS build looks like it will be a modest step in the right direction, if Palm ever manages to get it out. But based on the rumors of what it includes it still leaves the Pre way behind the competition in features, apps, and PIM capabilities.

    I will agree with you on one thing: the Pre isn't for me. At least not yet. On June 5th, I was very excited, and couldn't wait. By June 8th, I was aghast at just how badly Palm had screwed by pooch be releasing a device that should have been in beta, that lacked features commonly available on phones that sell for a quarter of the price, and that seemed to crash as frequently as the old Treos.

    Don't flatter yourself by thinking eveyone else should be like you. And don't think that because the Pre works for you, everyone else should be happy to. And most of all, don't imply that those people who report problems are liars, which is essentially what you do when you call them trolls.

    I'm happy that you've found the Pre to be better than your dumb phone. Please don't do comparison shoppoing with other devices though, or you might come away a little depressed.
    Thank you for taking the time to write this perfectly. I've been trying to tell these (Pre fanatic) people all over this forum that they really don't know what a true smartphone is and I, for one, am sick of being knocked for it. I've been with Sprint for at least 10 yrs, and i never had to join a forum due to disgust from a phone before the Pre.
    Thank you Palm.
    P.S. - and b4 anybody tells me to get another phone, just think first about why ur missing the WHOLE point.
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/25/2009 at 01:35 PM.
  10. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    That's not my premise. My premis is that those people can't understand the things the Pre lacks, and hence don't understand why some are critical of it. If you've made a legit comparison (and I totally agree with you on WM) and decided your Pre meets your needs, great. But I think you can understand why others don't. An understanding the OP clearly lacks, or has no tolerance for.
    "TOLERANCE" is the thing that so many people here lack. And it's really sad to see people protect the big corporate teddy bear rather than the poor frustrated consumer.

    People have to realize that we didn't buy a "lifestyle", we bought a tool. And if that tool doesn't do everything we want then why the heck shouldn't someone express themselves over it without having a member of the Volunteer Pre Sales Force putting the hammer down on them? We don't work for Palm. We're they're customers. That's why we don't get commission checks.

    BTW. The "get something else, stupid" mentality is really obnoxious. It would be nice if swapping phones/carriers was as easy as returning underwear at Target, but its not. So rather than chastising a customer for getting screwed over then why not direct those lectures to the cell industry that is doing everything they can to trap us.
    Last edited by Urkel; 09/25/2009 at 01:45 PM.
  11. #51  
    alot of people are not realizing when they say get another phone that people moved to sprint, or upgraded to the pre. So now they are stuck. Its not that easy to move to another phone when you had to sacrifice to get the pre. Who wants to pay a 200 dollar cancellation.

    I am not speaking for myself but just making a point. If I bought a pre and signed a two year agreement. I wouldn't want to have to then be stuck with another phone for two years. A lot of complaints could be coming from that kind of consumer.

    Also anyone coming from a dumb phone would obviously be happy with the pre. I think that's a given. I have had smartphones going back to the symbian nokia 3650. I expect more right out the gate. Its getting there but remember we are waiting for updates just to get basic function that should have been there day one.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    Ya sure that logic worked so well for Ford and GM. In and out of repair shops months after a new purchase how many customers stuck with them before the jumped ship to foreign vehicles?

    Well not only do vehicles cost hundreds of times more than cellphones, they are more useful, I.e. A pre can't transport you hundreds and thousands of miles. So you can't really compare.

    And you did back up my point that those "complaining" but sticking with the phone are better fans. We are there through the thick and thin.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    alot of people are not realizing when they say get another phone that people moved to sprint, or upgraded to the pre. So now they are stuck. Its not that easy to move to another phone when you had to sacrifice to get the pre. Who wants to pay a 200 dollar cancellation.

    I am not speaking for myself but just making a point. If I bought a pre and signed a two year agreement. I wouldn't want to have to then be stuck with another phone for two years. A lot of complaints could be coming from that kind of consumer.

    Also anyone coming from a dumb phone would obviously be happy with the pre. I think that's a given. I have had smartphones going back to the symbian nokia 3650. I expect more right out the gate. Its getting there but remember we are waiting for updates just to get basic function that should have been there day one.
    Exaclty. I hope the OP reads your post.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    alot of people are not realizing when they say get another phone that people moved to sprint, or upgraded to the pre. So now they are stuck. Its not that easy to move to another phone when you had to sacrifice to get the pre. Who wants to pay a 200 dollar cancellation.

    I am not speaking for myself but just making a point. If I bought a pre and signed a two year agreement. I wouldn't want to have to then be stuck with another phone for two years. A lot of complaints could be coming from that kind of consumer.

    Also anyone coming from a dumb phone would obviously be happy with the pre. I think that's a given. I have had smartphones going back to the symbian nokia 3650. I expect more right out the gate. Its getting there but remember we are waiting for updates just to get basic function that should have been there day one.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    "TOLERANCE" is the thing that so many people here lack. And it's really sad to see people protect the big corporate teddy bear rather than the poor frustrated consumer.

    People have to realize that we didn't buy a "lifestyle", we bought a tool. And if that tool doesn't do everything we want then why the heck shouldn't someone express themselves over it without having a member of the Volunteer Pre Sales Force putting the hammer down on them? We don't work for Palm. We're they're customers. That's why we don't get commission checks.

    BTW. The "get something else, stupid" mentality is really obnoxious. It would be nice if swapping phones/carriers was as easy as returning underwear at Target, but its not. So rather than chastising a customer for getting screwed over then why not direct those lectures to the cell industry that is doing everything they can to trap us.
  16. Leke's Avatar
    Posts
    597 Posts
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    Well not only do vehicles cost hundreds of times more than cellphones, they are more useful, I.e. A pre can't transport you hundreds and thousands of miles. So you can't really compare.

    And you did back up my point that those "complaining" but sticking with the phone are better fans. We are there through the thick and thin.
    The comparison is that it's a "product" that consumers buy. Different brands different models just like cells phones, with different features. We can all agree it's suppose to transport you from A to B right, Basic feature right?

    But if this product lacks this "basic" feature would you still stick with it because your such a fan of their product? Or voice your concern?

    This is one of he main reasons palm was in trouble in the first place, and one of the main reasons Ford and GM are a hurting company...
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    alot of people are not realizing when they say get another phone that people moved to sprint, or upgraded to the pre. So now they are stuck. Its not that easy to move to another phone when you had to sacrifice to get the pre. Who wants to pay a 200 dollar cancellation.

    I am not speaking for myself but just making a point. If I bought a pre and signed a two year agreement. I wouldn't want to have to then be stuck with another phone for two years. A lot of complaints could be coming from that kind of consumer.

    Also anyone coming from a dumb phone would obviously be happy with the pre. I think that's a given. I have had smartphones going back to the symbian nokia 3650. I expect more right out the gate. Its getting there but remember we are waiting for updates just to get basic function that should have been there day one.
    I would argue that you're not that stuck. So you got a two year contract..so what? Pay the 175 ETF (or is it 200? doesn't matter tho), sell the Pre and move on. Just checked ebay's completed listings..used Pre's seem to sell around 250.00.

    Likewise, it didn't bother me to keep my iphone 3GS and extend the "contract" It sells for more than i paid for it + ETF.

    This whining of being stuck in a contract is similar to how people act about pricing of phones without even bothering to worry about monthly plans. Which is weird.

    Otherwise I agree.
  18. #58  
    $200.00pre+$200 cancellation = 400.00 and purchasing a new phone with another carrier plus activation fees. The tally is way above that 250 on ebay.
  19. #59  
    Personally, I don’t think the argument “alot of people are not realizing when they say get another phone that people moved to sprint, or upgraded to the pre. So now they are stuck.” really stands up. Sprint has a 30 day policy regarding testing out any handset. I have been with Sprint for a long time and have had many phones including several smartphones. I buy a phone run it through the paces for a week or two and see if I like the interface and overall functionality of the phone. If I don’t like it I return it (Motorola Q I am looking at you!). It’s really pretty simple. I bought the Palm Pre knowing it was a generation 1 phone. After a few days I realized it was missing some basic features, changing notification tones, visual LED notifications etc) I simply asked myself if any of those items were deal breakers. For me the answer was no, they are small things that I know will be remedied at some point. WebOS, even with some missing features is a great OS and will just continue to get better. I came from a TouchPro and Windows Mobile can’t hold a candle (in my opinion) to WebOS, yet has been around for years.

    At the end of the day if you had build quality issues I sympathize because it’s not your fault, it a quality control issue. However; if people are whining because it’s missing features you want and you feel so self important or entitled that you can’t wait for Palm to develop them I have little sympathy for you. We all knew after we bought the phones what it had and didn’t have. If you weren’t happy with the feature set at that time of purchase it should have went back and you should have gotten a phone that met all your feature requirements. The Palm Pre doesn’t save lives, it doesn’t perform miracles, it’s just a phone, a phone and overall a pretty good one I might add. For those who disagree that's completely your right and you have the choice not to own a Pre, but instead go with an Blackberry, Iphone, WinMobile or Android device. Get a phone that works for you. As the OP points out the Pre isn't for everyone.
  20. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    $200.00pre+$200 cancellation = 400.00 and purchasing a new phone with another carrier plus activation fees. The tally is way above that 250 on ebay.
    Plus time. Plus customer support reps. Plus time. Plus time.

    Yes, you're not "stuck" but you definitely will be "severely inconvenienced". As geeks then we may be willing to jump through hoops to get where we want but for regular people then they're better off fixing the product they already have. So for them then having an update solve a problem through an automatic update is much more convenient that trying out 4 carriers and 16 phones until they find the one that they like best.

    So as Sprint/Pre users then we are better off with "complainers" than the excuse makers because at least the whining will result in a better product (and the constant excuses will result in the iPhone STILL not multitasking because the superfans insist that it isn't necessary).
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions