Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    GREAT POST!!! (finally a post that ISN'T about updates) It's nice to hear about people happy with their Pre for a change.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Why are people so affected by the satisfaction/dissatisfaction of a product owned by a complete stranger? If a guy returned his 20 times and still complains or fell in love with his on day one then it doesn't make the one in your hand any better or worse so why care this much?
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    You said you had a Samsung dumb phone and didn't know any better before the Pre.

Now you're telling everyone what's really up. Nice.
    I don't think he was really "telling everyone"... only those willing to listen...
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post

Now as I sit here listening to a little Eddie Money in the 80's section of accuradio killing pimps, dragon slayers and vampire suckers, I'm starting to think that maybe the Palm pre (version 1) just wasn't for you? I hear seemingly minor complaints "Oh Palm won't talk to me and give me updates everyday" or "The pre should have a trackball" or I wan't a kizzillion apps right now!! Whaaa! But seriously, maybe it's YOU who didn't do the research and just got the wrong phone? Whine, whine, whine, troll, troll, troll! I'm beginning to think that 10 pct have legitamate complaints, 20-25 pct of you are trolls, 50 pct love their pre (like me) and maybe 15-20 pct of you should've just waited or gotten another phone because it's not just the right phone for you.
    You know what? You're post is not only insulting, it's rather egocentric. Your attitude that because the phone is for you, and yours has never broken, then all the people with different experience must be trolls or otherwise brought on their own problems, is insulting to all those who have legitimate issues. Some of whom, by the way, have been involved with smartphones and the *-central forums for a long, long time and are deserving of respect for what they've contributed.

And I think your post goes a long way to explain the difference in your experience compared to others. You admit to coming from a dumb phone. By that admission, you have no basis of comparison to other smartphones. And what excites you most is that you can play several games at once.

On the other hand, there are those of us who have been using smartphones for years, and use them as a tool for organizing our lives, not as a platform for playing games. Our use and experience lets us see just how weak the Pre is as a business tool.

And as tired as you are of people complaining about updates taking too long, I'm tired of listening to people make excuses becuase it's a new OS. If you're willing to put up with the problems caused by the lack of polish, features and apps, that's your business. But you need to understand that we're not comparing the Pre to a dumb phone, or the 1st gen iPhone. We're comparing it to Treos, and BlackBerries, and G phones, and iPhones that are a lot more capable in most respects. The Pre needs to match up against it's competition sooner, rather than later, if Palm expects to compete long term in this business. The 1.2 OS build looks like it will be a modest step in the right direction, if Palm ever manages to get it out. But based on the rumors of what it includes it still leaves the Pre way behind the competition in features, apps, and PIM capabilities.

I will agree with you on one thing: the Pre isn't for me. At least not yet. On June 5th, I was very excited, and couldn't wait. By June 8th, I was aghast at just how badly Palm had screwed by pooch be releasing a device that should have been in beta, that lacked features commonly available on phones that sell for a quarter of the price, and that seemed to crash as frequently as the old Treos.

Don't flatter yourself by thinking eveyone else should be like you. And don't think that because the Pre works for you, everyone else should be happy to. And most of all, don't imply that those people who report problems are liars, which is essentially what you do when you call them trolls.

I'm happy that you've found the Pre to be better than your dumb phone. Please don't do comparison shoppoing with other devices though, or you might come away a little depressed.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Personally, I think the #1 problem with all these complaints is unreasonable expectations.

A lot of folks seem to think that....

• sliders should be as tight as the robots that build CPUs
    • batteries the size of a matchbook should last for 80 hours of continuous use while multitasking and continuously connected to the web
    • it's completely unreasonable for any percentage of any product to be defective
    • releasing updates several times as fast as any of the competition is still far too slow
    • they need to be able to carry around enough music on their cell phone that they could play continuously for a week at a time without repeating a song
    • that it is the manufacturer's fault when the rumor mill is wrong
    • that it is the manufacturer's fault when homemade apps and patches don't work flawlessly
    • it's the developer's fault when they fail to follow directions
    • that any device that isn't perfect, or is missing one arcane feature that hardly anybody uses, is completely useless
    • that it's okay to buy an expensive and complicated device without doing any research about features that are important to you, and then get ****ed when it doesn't meet your needs.

You know what? The Pre IS for me too. I love my Pre. It's the first smart phone to draw me away from carrying a separate phone and PDA, which I did for a decade. But then, I did my homework before I purchased.
    May I add one?

That even when someone posts a potential solution to a problem you are having, you don't bother to search and read all the posts on that issue, instead starting multiple duplicate posts that begin with "W T F" or HELP!!!!!

I also love my Pre and I've enjoyed being one of the early adopters.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    And as tired as you are of people complaining about updates taking too long, I'm tired of listening to people make excuses becuase it's a new OS. If you're willing to put up with the problems caused by the lack of polish, features and apps, that's your business. But you need to understand that we're not comparing the Pre to a dumb phone, or the 1st gen iPhone. We're comparing it to Treos, and BlackBerries, and G phones, and iPhones that are a lot more capable in most respects. The Pre needs to match up against it's competition sooner, rather than later, if Palm expects to compete long term in this business. The 1.2 OS build looks like it will be a modest step in the right direction, if Palm ever manages to get it out. But based on the rumors of what it includes it still leaves the Pre way behind the competition in features, apps, and PIM capabilities.

I will agree with you on one thing: the Pre isn't for me. At least not yet. On June 5th, I was very excited, and couldn't wait. By June 8th, I was aghast at just how badly Palm had screwed by pooch be releasing a device that should have been in beta, that lacked features commonly available on phones that sell for a quarter of the price, and that seemed to crash as frequently as the old Treos.
    I see both your points... however.. I personally have used various Treo's, Blackberry's, Windows Mobile phones, etc. I have not used an iPhone but i do have an iPod Touch, which inherently is the same device.

Now i am not saying you are wrong for how you feel or he is wrong. What i see a lot on this board is constant whining about what the Pre does not do.

The fact of the matter is you or anyone have the ability to research a product BEFORE purchasing it to know if it's right for you. I personally have never bought a $300 gadget without knowing what its capabilities and shortcomings were.

I bought the Pre knowing full well what it could not do and that eventually it will do the things i want in time.

The Pre has been out 3 months... let me say that again, the Pre has been out 3 months.

The iPhone just received MMS this week, and it's been out 3+ years. It also took a year or so for their app store and video recording.

But again, you knew what the Pre had, if you bought it and continue to complain, whose fault is that?

I would not buy an xbox 360 and complain constantly it did not have a blu ray player like the PS3. I knew that going into the purchase.

If the Pre does not have what you want, you should not have bought it. Go get yourself a Blackberry, Hero or iPhone. It's really that simple.

I bought my Pre when it released well aware of what it did not have and I'm completely happy with it and i look forward to updates, but I'm not going to sit here and complain about stuff i KNEW about prior to the purchase.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    The OP's post reads to me as "I'm happy with my Pre so everyone else should be too and if they're not then they are trolls and whiners and it's their own fault".

I would think that people actually sticking to the Pre after exchanging multiple times would show how much they DO like their Pre!

Also, I find it amusing that the current version of your WebOS has been brought to you by people complaining about missing features and functionality. You really think Palm would invest time and money into ongoing development if no one complained and displayed a demand for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feud View Post
    Also, I find it amusing that the current version of your WebOS has been brought to you by people complaining about missing features and functionality. You really think Palm would invest time and money into ongoing development if no one complained and displayed a demand for it?
    There is nothing wrong with a WebOS request thread where someone says.. "I would like the Pre to have this feature & such and such"

I have personally made threads requesting features.

I think the problem are the people who b**** and complain about it. If it was that important to them, they should have researched it.

What we see on this board at least once a day is, "OMG PALM SUKZZZZ HOW COULD THEY NOT HAVE CAMCORDER AND FORWARDING OF TEXT MY 2004 RAZR DOES THAT!!! THIS FONE MAJOR SUXXXX"

EDIT: And if there's something that does not work properly or you feel or could be better, we have a Bug List & General Complaints Stickies which I am more than sure Palm looks at daily.
    Last edited by zeravla531; 09/25/2009 at 10:03 AM.
    "Last edited by ChappyEight; 09/24/2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To bow to zeravla."
    You know what? You're post is not only insulting, it's rather egocentric.
    I disagree. The OP expressed an opinion. If he had been egocentric, he would have said those that don't like the Pre have something wrong with them. Instead, he said that this is probably not the phone for them. I've actuallys seen posts on here not insinuating, but saying that those that like the Pre somehow have something wrong with them. That's egocentric.

There are those on here that feel that any expression of an opinion against the Pre merit personal attacks against the person posting. Those folks are wrong.

There are also those that feel that anyone supporting the Pre merit personal attacks. They are just as wrong.

This forum lost most semblance of civility quite some time ago. Recently, it's begun to return. I suspect that's, in large part, due to the vigilance of the mods, and I hope they continue the work.

I've seen as many attacks against those who say "My phone doesn't have that problem" as I have against those who say "My phone is doing such and such". Neither one is an invalid comment.

However, the person that says "The Pre (speaking in general) sucks" because of his/her personal, anectdotal experience, is just as wrong as the person that says "Mine doesn't do that, so you must be lying".

I didn't see that in the OP's post at all. I saw him saying that just because a person's experience is bad, doesn't mean the phone is bad, or everyone else's experience is bad.

The fact is that, in spite of the naysayers, most people who purchase the Pre do not have problems with build quality. Most people that purchase the Pre don't have problems with the OS. Most people that purchase the Pre are happy with their decision.

I think the OP was simply saying he fits that category, and suggesting that those that don't probably shouldn't get the phone.

I couldn't agree with him more.
    I like my Pre but those DopeWars and Vampire games suck lol. I'd take WordAce over those anyday. I don't see how anyone can turn down the Pre with its basically free tethering, regardless of build quality issues.
    God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect;
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Admittedly I've only had my Pre for a few days, but I'm actually trying to figure out if the Pre is for me. If it's not I completely understand that's it's not because it's bad or Palm is slow or anything, it's because of certain things I want or are used to.

Currently the lack of information on the 'main' screen is something I'm trying to get used to. I came over from WinMo Smartphone 6.1, where I had a lot of information (appointsments I really miss) right on the homescreen. I miss the way eXtreme Agenda tied my contacts (birthdays,etc), tasks, and calendar all together.

As both you and I have said, it's an expectation thing. I'm sure I'll get used to the Pre and if not I may try the HTC Hero with all it's widgets I can put on the homescreen. Either way, Palm has made a great product and compared to other companies is quickly and fulling supporting it.
    Actually those who complain are referring to Palm. Those who defend Palm are attacking members of the forum.

It seems rather clear who's being anti-social on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Actually those who complain are referring to Palm. Those who defend Palm are attacking members of the forum.

It seems rather clear who's being anti-social on the forum.
    Last i checked this is a forum for people to talk to each other about the Palm Pre, not a bullhorn for speaking directly to Palm.

If someone wants to complain constantly about the Pre's shortcomings, there are 2 sticky threads dedicated to this as well as ways to reach Palm directly and express their concerns/complaints/suggestions.

I think a lot of people here (including myself) are tired of seeing the same exact threads day after day with the exact same complaints.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    While I do agree that the iPhone did take a while to get MMS and video recording but lets face it, once it was jailbroken nobody really cared about those added features.

I dunno about everyone else but I was totally unaware of the missing "BASIC" features from the Pre prior to launch date. Forwarding Texts, Voice Memo, Video Recording, LED Notifications, and list goes on and on...

I don't know who in their right mind would think those were not important features...
    Last edited by Leke; 09/25/2009 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Then you got ones who've been with WM, RIM, Palm OS, or Apple. These are a bit more critical.
    I came from two generations of WM phones, eons of WM PDAs, and two generations of Treos (600 & 650). I couldn't love my Pre more, particularly as compared to WM--which to my mind is currently a sad joke, and I'm a huge Microsoft fan. The Pre may lack some of the PDA functionality of PalmOS, but beyond that WebOS is, in sexiness, to PalmOS as Megan Fox is to Janeane Garofalo.

So, obviously, I reject your premise that only people coming from inferior dumbphones or feature phones love their Pre.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    The OP essentially said those who complain about the Pre are trolls. That's the same as saying they're lying. That's insulting at best.

He wasn't merely stating his opinion, he was saying that those who have a different opinion are wrong, too stupid to use the Pre, or trolling. That's insulting, and wrong.

That this forum has lost much of the civility that existed on TreoCentral is certainly true. Blame can be attributed to those on all sides of the discussion, but I've never been attacked for being critical of a piece of hardware like I have been on this forum. There's a substantial number of folks who seem to be new to Smartphones, who think the Pre is God's gift to them, and who will brook no criticism of the device. And who seem to take any criticsm of their chosen phone as criticism of themselves, personally.

The average mental age of these people seems to be about 12. PreCentral reminds me of nothing as much as the iPHone fan forums. The same intolerance for criticism of the device, the same tendency to take everything personnally, the same inability to understand it's just a phone.

While people certainly disagreed about things on TreoCentral, most were mature enough to understand that criticsm of the phone wasn't criticism of the owner, and that different people had different needs of their phone. That maturity is strongly lacking here.
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    While I do agree that the iPhone did take a while to get MMS and video recording but lets face it, once it was jailbroken nobody really cared about those added features.

I dunno about everyone else but I was totally unaware of the missing "BASIC" features from the Pre prior to launch date. Forwarding Texts, Voice Memo, Video Recording, LED Notifications, and list goes on and on...

I don't know who in their right mind would think those were not important features...
    They are important features to you and perhaps others, but not everyone. This is something many people on this board don't get, their opinion is not the same as everyone else's and it is an opinion no matter what your previous phone had. I don't care about text forwarding or voice memo, and video recording and LED notifications are nice little bonuses but easy for me to live without. Since you don't know me though I take no offense to your last line.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I came from two generations of WM phones, eons of WM PDAs, and two generations of Treos (600 & 650). I couldn't love my Pre more, particularly as compared to WM--which to my mind is currently a sad joke, and I'm a huge Microsoft fan. The Pre may lack some of the PDA functionality of PalmOS, but beyond that WebOS is, in sexiness, to PalmOS as Megan Fox is to Janeane Garofalo.

So, obviously, I reject your premise that only people coming from inferior dumbphones or feature phones love their Pre.
    That's not my premise. My premis is that those people can't understand the things the Pre lacks, and hence don't understand why some are critical of it. If you've made a legit comparison (and I totally agree with you on WM) and decided your Pre meets your needs, great. But I think you can understand why others don't. An understanding the OP clearly lacks, or has no tolerance for.

If sexy is more important to you than function, that's your decision, and doesn't bother me at all. But don't criticize me for choosing the opposite. I don't have sex with my phone. I do use it to get work done. For that, I'll choose Janeane. Well, not really, but I'll choose intelligence and capability over cleavage and short skirts.

(FWIW, neither of us have a chance with Megan. I'd rather have sex with Janeane that with myself. )

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    They are important features to you and perhaps others, but not everyone. This is something many people on this board don't get, their opinion is not the same as everyone else's and it is an opinion no matter what your previous phone had.
    I totally agree with the above. But, to me, it seems those who "don't get" this the most are the newcomers to smartphones in general, the "pre-lovers" of the board. They seem absolutely convinced that because the Pre does what they want, then everyone else should be happy, too. And that if someone else isn't happy with the Pre, it's clearly their fault, and not the fault of the phone.
    Bob Meyer
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    They are important features to you and perhaps others, but not everyone. This is something many people on this board don't get, their opinion is not the same as everyone else's and it is an opinion no matter what your previous phone had. I don't care about text forwarding or voice memo, and video recording and LED notifications are nice little bonuses but easy for me to live without. Since you don't know me though I take no offense to your last line.
    If you want to call this truely a smart phone then again I reiterate who in their right mind would think those were not important features? Texting is an added feature, should it not have the ability to forward as if you forward email? Can I not get a notification that I missed a call/voicemail or received a text? Why add a camera if I cannot record video and share/upload? No voicememo I am subjected to typing it in the native app?

Thats BS if u ask me, you can get angry at ppl complaining but seriously those features are as basic as caller ID on a phone.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts

I totally agree with the above. But, to me, it seems those who "don't get" this the most are the newcomers to smartphones in general, the "pre-lovers" of the board. They seem absolutely convinced that because the Pre does what they want, then everyone else should be happy, too. And that if someone else isn't happy with the Pre, it's clearly their fault, and not the fault of the phone.
    Don't lump us into one category? I've been a loyal Treo fan having had many models so I have my share of smart phones. I cannot truely embrace the Pre as a smartphone meanwhile I have my old Treo 700P laying around with old video clips of my daughter singing and dancing for me. Not all of us can whip out a camcorder when trying to catch sudden moments. Or have time to type or write down a list of groceries they want to remember while running errands. Or tell someone "Hay send that msg in email so I can forward it to so and so, " since my Pre CAN"T forward text. Or "Oops my bad didnt know you left a voicemail". My pre doesnt have notifications.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast