Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #1  
    youtube.com/watch?v=4ZXNzQOb7aQ

    One Sprint call center says its the battery....

    Another Sprint Call Center says its the phone...

    So what is it?
  2. Tubal's Avatar
    Posts
    164 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #2  
    You should explain your problem so we don't have to watch a movie about it.

    Then you might get some help.

    #1: You shouldn't slam your pre closed like that. Who does that? You'll just wear it out alot faster.

    #2: It's a common issue in the early pre's. The battery is a little too small. You can either put a "wedge" between the battery and the phone so that the contacts are tighter, or you can take it to sprint and they'll give you a new bigger battery.
    Last edited by Tubal; 09/24/2009 at 11:39 PM.
  3. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #3  
    Slide the slider = Phone shuts off... not much to explain, hence the 15 second video.
  4. #4  
    Well, it's hard to say for sure, but since there have been about a dozen threads on this topic in the last week alone, I think it's pretty safe to say that the issue is that the batteries that came with a lot of Pres were just slightly too small for the battery compartment.

    You can trade the whole thing in for a refurbished phone that will have the same battery and a small piece of foam rubber to keep the battery snug.

    You can trade in just the battery for one that is a couple of mm longer.

    You can fold up a scrap of paper and wedge it along the back edge of the battery away from the contacts, just like the foam rubber on the refurb models.

    Take your pick. They all get the job done.
  5. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #5  
    Oh I also have the Seidio 1350mah battery and the phone does it with it installed as well.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbianchi View Post
    Oh I also have the Seidio 1350mah battery and the phone does it with it installed as well.
    Take 90 seconds, fold up some paper so it's about 2-3mm thick, wedge it in there like I told you.

    If it fixes the problem, then you can live with the paper or take it back for a refund or exchange, or you can just live with a piece of paper.


    If it doesn't fix it, you're in a very small minority and definitely need to exchange the phone ASAP.
  7. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #7  
    IMHO for a phone with a "Retail" price of $700 having to wedge folded pieces of paper in it to make it work is well... lame. I understand its potential to fix the problem so ill probably hit the hardware store and get something more permanent like the foam since I do swap batteries and dont want to have to fumble with paper. Granted it rather make Sprint or Palm fix this problem.
  8. #8  
    dang bro you slammed down your pre so hard that. my pre even turned off just from watching the video SNAP. here's some advice "easy"
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbianchi View Post
    IMHO for a phone with a "Retail" price of $700 having to wedge folded pieces of paper in it to make it work is well... lame. I understand its potential to fix the problem so ill probably hit the hardware store and get something more permanent like the foam since I do swap batteries and dont want to have to fumble with paper. Granted it rather make Sprint or Palm fix this problem.
    I think you're missing my point.

    If you try the paper, which will take you less time than your last response and cost you nothing, you will be able to determine exactly what the problem is, because either it will fix it, in which case you know it's a battery compartment with too much room, or it won't fix it, in which case it's a serious electronic fault in the slider mechanism.

    Either way, it will be easier and faster to deal with the problem once you know what the problem is.


    I happen to be perfectly satisfied with an otherwise flawless Pre and a little scrap of paper. If that's not acceptable, return yours and if you'll quite possibly get a brand new one free of charge.
  10. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmbeach View Post
    dang bro you slammed down your pre so hard that. my pre even turned off just from watching the video SNAP. here's some advice "easy"
    So I exaggerated the slide because I wanted to be sure the problem happened. (Didnt want to spend all night making 15 second video clips) Its intermittent otherwise, but enough to be annoying with the stupid 30 minute power-up...

    I will give the paper a shot, but again this is a high end phone & it shouldnt require folded paper, bubble gum, shoe laces, and paper clips to keep it working.
  11. #11  
    I think the OP is missing your point because taking it would give him/her a reason to stop complaining.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbianchi View Post
    I will give the paper a shot, but again this is a high end phone & it shouldnt require folded paper, bubble gum, shoe laces, and paper clips to keep it working.
    Nobody is arguing with you. You're right. I happen to be satisfied, with a paper wedge on an otherwise flawless unit, but given what we paid for our Pres, your dissatisfaction is perfectly reasonable. One more time with feeling, the purpose of the paper is to diagnose the problem so you can make an informed decision about whether or not it's worth the trouble of exchanging your Pre. Nobody can make that decision for you, and I don't see anybody trying to make it for you.

    However, I have to ask, why did you bother asking about it? I mean, it's pretty obvious that the Pre isn't supposed to reboot if the slider is closed too hard, and pretty easy to use the search feature to see that you're not the only one with this problem.

    If you're not willing to fix it yourself then the only remaining options are to return it or keep it in it's malfunctioning state forever so you've always got something to complain about.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    I think the OP is missing your point because taking it would give him/her a reason to stop complaining.
    Pretty much looks that way.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by SiniStereO View Post
    I think the OP is missing your point because taking it would give him/her a reason to stop complaining.
    Why wouldn't you complain about that? He is 100% right. For the price you pay for these phones you shouldnt have to macgyver anything on them. You obviously don't have a phone that does this, my first pre had this problem and I returned it.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    Why wouldn't you complain about that? He is 100% right. For the price you pay for these phones you shouldnt have to macgyver anything on them. You obviously don't have a phone that does this, my first pre had this problem and I returned it.
    The point isn't that it's not a problem, or that it's unreasonable to be unhappy about it.

    The point is that it's silly to sit around complaining about something that is a well documented flaw in manufacturing, which can easily be fixed yourself, or easily fixed by returning the device. Walk into a sprint store, demonstrate the problem one time, walk out with either a new or refurbished phone in about 5 minutes.

    But, instead of fixing it himself, OR taking advantage of the top not CS from sprint, he'd rather just complain even after he's been told that he can fix it or exchange it with no problem.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    The point isn't that it's not a problem, or that it's unreasonable to be unhappy about it.

    The point is that it's silly to sit around complaining about something that is a well documented flaw in manufacturing, which can easily be fixed yourself, or easily fixed by returning the device. Walk into a sprint store, demonstrate the problem one time, walk out with either a new or refurbished phone in about 5 minutes.

    But, instead of fixing it himself, OR taking advantage of the top not CS from sprint, he'd rather just complain even after he's been told that he can fix it or exchange it with no problem.


    He explained in his previous posts he was going to go to a hardware store to gather something that would possibly fix his problem, and then even said he would try the paper trick you insisted he should try. I don't see him sitting around complaining about anymore than he should. Not everyone is a Precentral junkie and constantly reads up on all device failures or, has the time to fumble through tons of threads.
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

    RIP

  16. bbianchi's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
       #16  
    So the paper seems to have resolved the issue, now I need new batteries... That or foam from the hardware store so both batteries just work...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    Not everyone is a Precentral junkie and constantly reads up on all device failures or, has the time to fumble through tons of threads.
    Who said otherwise? I certainly didn't, although I did try to imply that this had been discussed ad nauseum, and a 10 second search would have turned up all the times in the last week that the "precentral junkies" had already answered this question.

    I also tried to say in no uncertain terms (perhaps I failed here) that if a person finds searching for answers or attempting to fix it disdainful (and every response has been dripping with disdain) then perhaps it was a waste of time to ask in the first place, and they should have just exchanged the thing.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbianchi View Post
    So the paper seems to have resolved the issue, now I need new batteries...
    Perfect. You now know exactly what the problem is, and just have to ask yourself a simple question: For you, is it better to simply stick with the paper (or some other wedge) or take the phone into a sprint store for a new battery, at which point they 'may' insist on exchanging your phone?

    I know what the answer was for me, but it's 100% your call.
  19. #19  
    just wrap the loose batt with some black elec tape. that should do the trick. you'll hardly know it's thier
  20. #20  
    Mine isn't shutting off because of a closed slider. It's just randomly shutting off. Same thing you think?

    And this was a recent build of the phone....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions