Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am very interested if anyone knows of a free e reader (besides using classic) that is or will be coming out for the Pre?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    There is a tread here somewhere that says a dev has FBReader on his todo list, but I'm not sure where it is. I think I found it by searching for "FBReader"
    Nope not yet ...Im waiting in anticipation...Mobipocket reader is supposedly coming out with something soon.

though it won't be a factor when this baby comes out.

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/09/mo...ok-reader.html
    Last edited by evilhomer; 09/24/2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: forgot link
    I love reading books on my Pre ... hope to help write a good epub reader someday soon. There's a fairly long thread about ereaders here:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ok-reader.html

There are currently a few options for reading books on the Pre. My favorite is Shortcovers ... first versions were kinda' buggy, now works pretty good. You're tied to their store, but it's a decent selection and fair prices. I've bought two books and use it every night.

As you mentioned, Classic allows you to use several readers. I read a book using eReader (from Fictionwise). Works OK, just annoying that you only get 2/3 of the screen. They say they will have a native Pre reader "soon". I hope that's true as I like Fictionwise.

There's also a few online reader sites ... Bookworm and dbElement are a couple ... tried 'em and didn't care for them.

Nothing perfect, but a couple of usable programs.
    Last edited by davis.rob; 09/24/2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer View Post
    though it won't be a factor when this baby comes out.
    nothing like hauling something around that's bigger than the original
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Here is a thread talking about an e-book reader. It looks like it will use HTML format. There is an excellent format conversion program called Calibre at MobileRead Forums that can do the conversion from almost any non-DRM format. If your interested in encrypted formats, well there are ways around that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    I think the Idea is that you can have hundreds of books and magazines at your hand, also internet. Much like a netbook but alot thinner and alot cheaper.

Still waiting for a good Pre ebook reader though....
    Quote Originally Posted by evilhomer View Post
    Nope not yet ...Im waiting in anticipation...Mobipocket reader is supposedly coming out with something soon.
    Don't count on it - Mobipocket was purchased by Amazon (aka Kindle) and they're letting Mobipocket wither on the vine (Link).
    well scratch that then
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    There's also a few online reader sites ... Bookworm and dbElement are a couple ... tried 'em and didn't care for them.
    Bookworm is alright, but you can't bookmark your page, so either you break the document up into chapters or never close the web page.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Even if MobiPocket closes the doors, there are still plenty of booksellers around who have licensed the format and will still sell Mobi formatted (both DRM and non-DRM). The issue is the reader. Will anyone produce the Mobi reader for the Pre?

Doubtful, and its Palm’s fault. Their sorry SDK being limited to JavaScript instead of furnishing a full blown compiler with ALL APIs published is the reason we can’t have customized apps.

My hat is off to those dedicated devs who have been able to live within the confines imposed by Javascript.
    The language and the SDK are two different things. Javascript is just a language. They could have picked C, Perl, Ruby, Java, whatever, and the same feature set would be available to developers. The important part is the SDK. What functionality they expose in the SDK through the built-in objects you have available is the real measure of the power of the platform.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flan View Post
    The language and the SDK are two different things. Javascript is just a language. They could have picked C, Perl, Ruby, Java, whatever, and the same feature set would be available to developers. The important part is the SDK. What functionality they expose in the SDK through the built-in objects you have available is the real measure of the power of the platform.
    Javascript is an interpreter; it reads the source code and converts it to machine code, then presents it to the CPU.

A compiler generates machine code from the source code and creates an executable. Only the executable code is directly presented to the CPU for execution. Much faster as the machine code only has to be generated once instead of each time the app is run.

Compilers and interpreters can be written for any number of human readable source code languages, as you said C, Java (as opposed to Javascript), Python, Basic, COBOL, etc.

Modern compilers are usually written for some flavor of C, but there are many others. Compilers also are usuallly much more powerful than interpreters because they have to be pretty much self contained and cannot rely on upgrades to the interpreter.

Interpreters are easier, as the packaging and compiling steps are either not there or are very much steamlined. In the days when a compile could take all night they were indespensable as you couldn't debug if it couldn't change one comma and test the code until tomorrow.

It the case of Javascript on the Pre there are two major issues; the built in walls of Javascript, and the lack of documentation of the available APIs. The first is Palm's choice, and the second is Palm's fault.

I am not a dev, and haven't been for over twenty years now, so my information might be somewhat dated. But it's not so dated that I don't know that compilers are better.

And then there are assemblers! Whole 'nuther subject. Assembler programmers are AWSOME!
    Stop gap measure but I don't think you can add your own titles:

dBelement - Reader : The most powerful eBook reader for the iPhone. Read all of your books in one place! (iPhone Reader, iPhone eBooks, iPhone book reader)

You have to go there from the pre browser.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Stop gap measure but I don't think you can add your own titles:

dBelement - Reader : The most powerful eBook reader for the iPhone. Read all of your books in one place! (iPhone Reader, iPhone eBooks, iPhone book reader)

You have to go there from the pre browser.
    Wow! Great find Sukiyaki. Yes, I think you can upload .TXT and non-DRM .PDF files, but you have to do it from you PC. Just log on from your PC, and click the upload button.

I have Atlas Shrugged in .TXT, but I'm not sure if it's smaller than 5 MB. I'll have to experiment when I get home tonight.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post

How about this one then: Home | Readius is the first pocket eBook Reader
    Phone History: VisorPhone --> Treo180 --> Treo650--> Treo700p--> PalmCentro --> HTCTouchDiamond (2weeks) --> PalmCentro --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Yup, it works.

In the free version you can only load two books. It automatically split Atlas Shrugged into about ten books and made me delete most of them before it would let me read. The splits were at chapter breaks, so I think there is some kind of code in the .TXT file that did that. I'll have to look into it. The paid for version is $8.99 for six months. Not a bad price! I was wondering about their business model.

It doesn't have word search, but it does have book marks. You have to remember to book mark your page before you exit.

I think I need to do a little more experimenting before I decide to drop a dime on them.

This'll work until something better comes along!

Thanks again Sukiyaki!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Oh, BTW they have a few more web based eyepony apps that will probably work on the Pre, but I haven't looked into them yet.
    dBelement - Quality iPhone Applications : iPhone apps to expand your iPhones capabilities. (iPhone WebApps, iPhone Apps, iPod Touch Applications)
    Quote Originally Posted by wodin View Post
    Oh, BTW they have a few more web based eyepony apps that will probably work on the Pre, but I haven't looked into them yet.
    dBelement - Quality iPhone Applications : iPhone apps to expand your iPhones capabilities. (iPhone WebApps, iPhone Apps, iPod Touch Applications)

I bookmarked the reader and stripr. I found them a few months ago via apple's webapps page. Someone had posted the link here. When the iphone first came out, before people could add apps, apple had told people to create webapps, so a lot of them are formatted for iphone but work perfectly for the pre. They have fitness apps, scientfic calculators, dictionaries. I found a kelly blue book app too. I want actual apps that don't rely on the internet, tho. I haven't browsed recently but here is the link:

Apple - Web apps - All Categories
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    FYI, I saw this on another site and I thought I would post it here. Apparently eReader has indicated that they indeed have a webos version in development:

eReader to be Ported to the Palm Pre - MobileRead Forums

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast