View Poll Results: Are you Waiting for a GSM Pre?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I scoff at CDMA. Give me GSM or Give me DEATH!

10 35.71%
  • I can't wait to ditch my CDMA Pre and move up to GSM!

1 3.57%
  • GSM? I don't need no stinking GSM! I'll stick with CDMA, thanks!

17 60.71%
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Okay so with the imminent European release of the GSM Pre, is anyone here holding off on buying a Pre until they can get a GSM one? Or is anyone planning on selling their CDMA Pre and moving over to a GSM one?

I for one have narrowed my next smartphone choice to either a GSM Pre or a BlackBerry 9700, depending on availability, price and of course going hands on with both...

What about you?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    No GSM fans out there, huh?
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Yes I am a GSM user. I have owned every palm and Treo up to the 650 and even loved it. I wanted to move to the 680 but it wouldn't BT pair with my car's BT system Yes it would pair and then immediately freeze up. I didn't want any of the 700 series. I almost went with the Pro but waited and waited and waited but nothing from Palm. I then moved to the mortal enemy of all Palm fans and have been reasonably satisfied. I have been in the Sprint store and introduce myself to the Pre. I liked what I experienced. I'll wait until it's available with AT&T, been with them 20 years or is availavble unlocked in the US and then pick one up.
    GSM for me. Bellus doesn't allow third party phones. Besides I enjoy switching phones and the ability to plug in a prepaid card when I'm abroad.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I like the Pre, but I'll probably wait until WebOS is more developed.
    Last edited by palandri; 09/25/2009 at 01:45 AM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    GSM for me. Bellus doesn't allow third party phones. Besides I enjoy switching phones and the ability to plug in a prepaid card when I'm abroad.
    That's EXACTLY the same as me. Plus I had a bad experience with Telus.

You're the first person I've seen besides me use the word "Bellus", lol...
    I've been waiting for unlocked GSM Pre since it's announcement at CES back in January and I was really excited then.

Now, I'm not sure. Seeing all this hardware trouble stories on this forum is discouraging, especially since there would be no easy way for me to exchange the phone should any hardware issue surface.

Besides that, judging from Pre pricing in Germany the GSM Pre price might be too high for my budget. I'm not ready to part with anything more than $500 for a smartphone, even if it's the smartest one.

My unlocked Treo 680 is slowly but surely dying. Hope an unlocked GSM Pre would be announced soon after European release so we could answers to all our questions.
    For those of us in GSM only territory we have no choice (that is unless we decide to go for the iPhone 3GS :P )
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I'm happy with my Gsm Treo Pro.
    But if I decide to get a webos device, it won't necessarily be a Pre.
    GSM Waiting here (but then I am in the UK and that's all we get, but I'm happy with it)

Bring on Oct16th!
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    So it looks like we have a majority of CDMA fans here... I'm just curious if it's a Sprint thing, or what?
    Well, *I* am waiting for the release of GSM Pre in the US!
    Preferably an UNLOCKED GSM Pre.

About a year ago my trusty Palm Treo 600 (unlocked GSM) was finally dieing and I wanted a phone/PDA with the following:
    - Syncable to my computer
    - WiFi (poor man's substitute for a $$ data plan)
    - Unlocked GSM
    - physical QWERTY keyboard
    - Palm Operating System

Since I couldn't get this all, I ALMOST bought an unlocked, jailbroken iphone (gasp) the day before the Palm Treo Pro was announced.

So, I got the Treo Pro when it was released. It met all my criteria except the OS.

As soon as the Pre is available in the US as an unlocked GSM, then I'll have a PDA/phone with everything I want.
    The Treo Pro is fine, ...except for the Winders Mobile OS. I'm ready to trade up to the Pre.

---

FWIW - The combination of Unlocked GSM and WiFi allows me to get by with extremely cheap cell provider plans. Many times I've only paid $5-$10 per month to T-mobile. Yes, I'm a cheap bugger. :-)
    "To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts."
    For what ever reason GSM phones like the iPhone puts out some major interference with my office phones. It really is a nuisance. I had a GSM phone when it was Sprint Spectum made by Erricson... if you can remember back then.
    Then went to ATT for a couple of years, then landed up at Verizon for a long time (over 14 years), and recently came over to Sprint.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Bread...does not want to spend his dough..that's good stuff.
    I'm with you. Most of my phone/provider history is with Palm and Tmo and I have found a way to get a very affordable plan and handle my voice/data needs. This usually involved unlocked or modified GSM phones. Most recently I was running a G1 on TMo with no data. Wifi is good for me.

I can tell you I am at a stand still between a new Android device and the Pre. The Pre would have to be GSM and I'd have to be able to activate for wifi and no data plan. I hear the German Pre is unlocked, has a transposed Y&Z on the keyboard and cannot do 3G data..all that is fine with me. I have the WebOS emulator running on my laptop and like it very much. It flows nice and is true multi-task. Android is coming on strong however. Coincidentally, the Sprint HTC Hero vs. Sprint Palm Pre comparisons have been helping quite a bit. So my issue is not CDMA vs GSM...it is WebOS vs Android.

I need some convincing either way...
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I was and maybe still am waiting on the GSM Pre but with Android looking really good who knows. I think Palm is not doing itself any favors by delaying the GSM Pre on AT&T.