View Poll Results: Will you move from VZW to Sprint for a webOS device?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • With VZW now, willing to try Sprint if VZW won't carry webOS

26 24.30%
  • With VZW now, want webOS device, but not leaving VZW after contract

7 6.54%
  • With VZW now, not interested in webOS

1 0.93%
  • Not with VZW

73 68.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Now that it appears that Verizon may not carry the Pre, will VZW customers holding out make a move to Sprint? Methinks VZW may have said they will carry Pre at launch time as a FUD statement, to keep VZW customers from considering a move if VZW plans to have it soon anyway. I'd bet they never planned to anyway given how relatively open the platform is. VZW wants total control, not openness.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    I will and did 7/30/09
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I did, about 4 months ago, with ZERO regrets
    I seriously doubt there are that many Verizon users that lurk here.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I did. Not just for the pre but for lower cost. The service plan I have with Sprint would cost me over double with vz.

The pre is awesome! We love them thus far. As long as Palm keeps the consumers happy and let the consumers drive the phone companies business choices then I will keep a palm. If palm falls into the vz trap of bowing to the wants of big corporations i will reconsider.
    I switched from VZW to get the Pre on launch day. I was tired of having no good phone options with VZW. I'm also paying a heckuva lot less now.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    My wife and I did. Couldn't be happier ; )
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Updated as a poll. Existing VZW customers, please vote.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I am very happy that Verizon will not be getting the Pre
    I am a Verizon customer (have been all my life) and I just want to clarify some things.

First, people say Sprint can roam (for free) on Verizon's towers. I am not doubting this, however, I know someone at my old work (his work phone is on Sprint), and he said on a business trip, his Sprint phone had no service, while his personal phone (Verizon) had service. One was in his left hand, the other was in his right hand.

Second, Verizon never said they were getting the Pre. They said they were getting a phone "like the Pre". Maybe they are getting the Pixi.

Third, I don't want to sound like I am attacking the Pre (or Palm for that matter), but there are people on here that have said they have returned their Pre 4 or 5 times because of a hardware problem. Someone even said they were on their 7th Pre. This to me is CRAZY. I have only ONCE in my life, returned a cell phone because of a hardware problem. In fact, out of my entire family, I am the only person that has ever had to return a phone. (I know that you hear the negatives more than the positives, but still, this is a problem)

Anyway, I don't see how this is a loss for Verizon. Verizon said they are getting the TouchPro2 and an Andriod phone in 2010, so if anything, it seems like its Palm's loss. Although, I would absolutely love a WebOS phone.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton
    I am a Verizon customer (have been all my life) and I just want to clarify some things.

First, people say Sprint can roam (for free) on Verizon's towers. I am not doubting this, however, I know someone at my old work (his work phone is on Sprint), and he said on a business trip, his Sprint phone had no service, while his personal phone (Verizon) had service. One was in his left hand, the other was in his right hand.
    A customer can roam for free. Sprint has to foot the bill.
    The reason that the Sprint phone wasn't getting service was (most likely) due to the fact that it was sent to sprint only and was not pinging off of the Verizon tower.
    Second, Verizon never said they were getting the Pre. They said they were getting a phone "like the Pre". Maybe they are getting the Pixi.
    I could see that... the fact that the phone doesn't have wifi would make Verizon hapy. That being said I think that the openess of the WebOS is too much for them to handle.

Third, I don't want to sound like I am attacking the Pre (or Palm for that matter), but there are people on here that have said they have returned their Pre 4 or 5 times because of a hardware problem. Someone even said they were on their 7th Pre. This to me is CRAZY. I have only ONCE in my life, returned a cell phone because of a hardware problem. In fact, out of my entire family, I am the only person that has ever had to return a phone. (I know that you hear the negatives more than the positives, but still, this is a problem)
    Generally people are not going to log on to a website to praise a phone; so, you are left with all of the unhappy people that got 'lemons' that need to vent someplace. Regardless people (who are smart and get insurance) are swapping their phones out and getting sound customer service from Sprint. The build quality issues have been recognized and acknoledged by Palm.
    Anyway, I don't see how this is a loss for Verizon. Verizon said they are getting the TouchPro2 and an Andriod phone in 2010, so if anything, it seems like its Palm's loss. Although, I would absolutely love a WebOS phone.
    Verizon isn't really losing anything; but, apparently, their customers are.
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    i want to move to VZ so i can actually get a signal when i'm not in LOS of the tower
    Feel for the Verizon Customers, they say they have the best customer service and best service (phone n data) can you hear me know network, but they have the worse smart phones and have not really updated there stock besides the Touch Pro 2 and a Antroid coming next year. They have nothing to compete with AT&T (iPhone) or T-Mobile (G1) or Sprint (Pre). All 4 major carriers already carry Touch Pro 2, so as a customer of Verizon you are losing the battle with good smart phones.

I have been with Sprint 10 years and I know how you feel, Sprint has the phones that people want, besides going the iPhone route.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I too left VZW to get the Palm Pre - very happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    They have nothing to compete with AT&T (iPhone) or T-Mobile (G1) or Sprint (Pre). All 4 major carriers already carry Touch Pro 2, so as a customer of Verizon you are losing the battle with good smart phones.
    I agree we are losing the battle with good smart phones, but we are winning the battle when it comes to coverage.

My friend has an iphone, and every time we talk on the phone, he loses reception 3+ times. We actually joke the first time it happens and he always says "Well, that was dropped call #1, we still have at least two left".

I am not trying to say T-Mobile and Sprint are just as bad, but from nearly everyone I have talked to with Verizon, I have never heard a complaint about their coverage.

To be honest, I would rather have good reception than a good smart phone. I am not trying to imply that it isn't possible to have both on another network, I am simply stating my phone philosophy.
    I have a BlackBerry(work phone) on Sprint and my personal phone on Verizon, I am going to switch I am just waiting for my contract to be over. I have had no problems on my Sprint phone or on my Verizon phone, they both have strong signal in my area so I don't mind switching.
    Every carrier gets bashed. At the end of the day, it comes down to where you live and work.

Sprint for me is great. Coverage is fine. Is VZW better? Who knows...probably...but it doesn't matter, because Sprint works well for me. Also, if I had bad coverage at home, Sprint would give me an Airave for free. AT&T would charge $150 initially and then $20 a month for a similar device.

VZW? I had their service for awhile...and they cost a fortune and rolled out software updates for my Treo at a glacial pace. The unlimited data plan also cost a fortune ($45 a month compared to $15 for Sprint at the time). BTW, the VZW service at my house sucked.

Sprint:

- Inexpensive plans with unlimited text and data
    - Free turn-by-turn directions
    - Free Sprint TV (at least some of it)
    - Evenings starting at 7pm
    - Unlimited minutes to *any* mobile phone on *any* other carrier
    - Great stores that actually repair units (unlike T-mobile...where we had my daughter's service...and which forced us to toss phones repeatedly for a simple issue).
    - Great customer service...and if you doubt it, try elsewhere.

Seriously, the plans are great and very inexpensive and they offer much more than corresponding plans by other carriers. We have three Pre's in my family...each with what is listed above...and we pay $145 a month for a family plan (after corp discount). I just don't get the Sprint bashing....but I suppose the grass is always greener.

Sprint is hungry...and the benefit is conveying to their users at the moment. Why else would they change my two year contract to my benefit? They just gave my entire family unlimited minutes to any mobile phone on any other carrier. Why the heck would they do that when we are already on contract? Because they need me...and it's nice to be needed...and treated well.

Reliability? Yep, the Pre is new hardware. iPhone also has its issues. e.g., melting and discoloring backs. We have three Pres in my house, and one had an issue. It was minor, but I brought it to a Sprint store just to show them...and they quickly offered to switch it on the spot...transferring my data...and then letting me have a whole new unit with accessories even though I only returned my phone (not the accessories). I told them this and they said don't sweat it...so I got another charger, soft case, etc for free.

Folks bashing Sprint must get some serious love from their current carrier...or they just have bought the negative Sprint hype. Me, I'll be on Sprint...even if VZ changes their mind about the Pre (again).
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 09/24/2009 at 05:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Did this about a month ago! Voyager? pssshhh
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Sprint for me is great. Coverage is fine. Is VZW better? Who knows...probably...but it doesn't matter, because Sprint works well for me. Also, if I had bad coverage at home, Sprint would give me an Airave for free. AT&T would charge $150 initially and then $20 a month for a similar device.
    This is really the main reason I have no problem with Verizon. Plus, I am on a family plan and get their family plan pricing which is not too bad (it is not as cheap as some of the other companies, but the coverage is great).

Just to throw out another example of why I rather have good coverage than a good smart phone. My neighbor has an iPhone, and when he comes into my house, he has no reception in my living room. He literally lives right across the street. I can walk to his house in 10 seconds (literally). The one day he missed several important calls, and when he got home he had multiple voice mails.

(Again, I am not trying to imply Sprint is any worse than Verizon or AT&T. I am just simply stating i rather have good coverage than a smart phone [plus I find that story amusing haha])
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    my wife and I just moved on 7/21 from verizon. The Pre rocks. The funny thing is, the Pre gets a better signal on roaming from Verizon than our Verizon phones did. I had the storm and she had the omnia and we are saving over 65 a month on our bills combined. Easy choice to make, especially since the anything mobile and the nights and weekends starting at 7pm.
    Samsung Blackjack (junk)-> Apple Iphone (2G) (ok)-> Blackberry Storm (POS!) -> Palm Pre (Awesome)

Order Of Preference
    Palm Pre - Best Of The Bunch By Far
    Apple Iphone - OK, but not that great
    Blackjack - Awful phone, I hate WM
    Storm - Worst phone of all time
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast