Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    The thing that doesn’t make sense about this rumor is that some of the article point to low Pre sales as a reason that Verizon doesn’t want to pick up the phone. I am a big Sprint supporter but far from oblivious that they are bleeding customers and are trying to dig themselves out. I think Pre sales were pretty good considering it launched on 1 carrier that isn’t doing the best right now. I didn’t really expect the Pre to sell millions and millions right out of the gate with Sprint. I would doubt that Verizon anticipated this either. It doesn’t diminish the fact that the Pre is a very good phone and something that Verizon is sorely missing right now. So I am not ready to completely write of a Verizon – Palm relationship just yet.
    This rumor just doesn't make since. As Sharon and George mentioned early, this rumor seems to be a part of hardware costs negotiations.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by smnc View Post
    It was a rumor that never made sense in the first place?
    What would GSM/UMTS based T-Mo want from CDMA based Sprint? Not only that, but Sprint also has a dated Nextel iDEN network to deal with and has committed themselves to WiMax instead of LTE for their 4G network. Advantages to T-Mo? None.

I know a lot of you are real happy with Sprint, and as a Canadian, I can't really comment on the company from a customer's perspective. But as an IT professional, I gotta say Sprint doesn't seem to have much of a plan for digging themselves out of their hole... other than Palm I guess.
    I applaud Sprint pushing the Pre, but Palm really needs another American partner if they want to grow the webOS consumer base.
    Actually Sprint is planning to go LTE just like Verizon and AT&T. The WiMax venture is more aimed at home broadband. That doesn't mean we won't see WiMax phones, but LTE is the path they seem to be on at the moment.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    708 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    If true, my guess is that Apple swooped in and paid VZ more than Sprint/Palm could and will carry the iphone instead.
    Oh so now it's the phone manufacturers who pay the phone companies to carry their phones?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Actually Sprint is planning to go LTE just like Verizon and AT&T. The WiMax venture is more aimed at home broadband. That doesn't mean we won't see WiMax phones, but LTE is the path they seem to be on at the moment.
    Really? Got a link or source?
    Last I heard was back in the spring that Sprint was doing some evaluations on LTE equipment but then Sprint CTO, Barry West, basically dumped all over LTE.
    Since Sprint is still aggressively rolling out WiMax via Clearwire, I figured that was the end of it.

Why would Sprint support two 4G networks? LTE can do at least 100Mbit down and 50Mbit up, right? Why keep WiMax?

Also since virtually no major networks are supporting WiMax, I can't see any phone manufacturers pursuing WiMax phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    I applied it today actually. Now if we could roam with EVDO...
    Make sure data roaming is turned on... I was in a roam area and had no problems with data.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    Sharon - I think you are right about VZ playing hardball with vendors. They have spin machine in action to negotiate better terms - George
    Quote Originally Posted by Modular View Post
    I can also confirm that the rumor is false for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    And thanks to each of you for your reading of the tea leaves. You're probably right!
    This all smells of VZW getting the iPhone to me. Why would they play hardball with the hottest phones on the market unless they didn't have a "Get out of Jail Free" card in their back pocket.
    Can either of you that are supposedly "in the know" confirm or comment on this speculation?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Make sure data roaming is turned on... I was in a roam area and had no problems with data.
    I do have data roaming on, but all I get is the slower network, even in the middle of Houston where I know I would have gotten EVDO on Verizon, had I paid for the service.
    I tend to believe this somewhat myself as well. Could be one of the reasons Sprint turned over management of network ops to Ericsson who now own Nortel's CDMA + LTE assets. Besides, at the onset of WiMax, Sprint always claimed this was going to be a broadband alternative foremost....maybe that's why they got ClearWire to buy out 49% of "the bag" as Clear is wireless ISP.
    Last edited by MilenkoD; 09/24/2009 at 10:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    Verizon was saying they would jump on the wagon when they thought the Pre would be a smash hit.
    Palm looks on track to move over 1m Pre's by years end....on Sprint even. Multiply that by the VZW attraction factor and I think that VZW wouldn't mind the numbers it would bring to their network.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I tend to believe this somewhat myself as well. Could be one of the reasons Sprint turned over management of network ops to Ericsson. Besides, at the onset of WiMax, Sprint always claimed this was going to be a broadband alternative foremost....maybe that's why they got ClearWire to buy out 49% of "the bag".
    Doesn't Sprint own 51% of Clearwire?

And it still doesn't make sense.
    6MBit WiMax AND 100Mbit LTE...?
    And Sprint has been pretty vocal about their hate-on for LTE.

Until I see a link or source, I gotta say I'm having trouble believing.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    This all smells of VZW getting the iPhone to me. Why would they play hardball with the hottest phones on the market unless they didn't have a "Get out of Jail Free" card in their back pocket.
    Can either of you that are supposedly "in the know" confirm or comment on this speculation?
    This has been a strong possibility for a couple months now. First, we learned that Verizon is fast tracking 4G deployment for early 2010. Then Verizon execs stop bashing the iPhone at every chance and start paying it compliments. And finally, Apple starts publicly suggesting they are sick of AT&T. The analysts have dug into it even deeper than this. Anyway, I also agree that iPhone will probably hit Verizon in the spring or early summer of 2010.

What that means for the Pre, who knows. But it would not surprise me if there was an exclusivity slant to the iPhone agreement, preventing Verizon from signing on other touchscreen phones for a while.
    I do have data roaming on, but all I get is the slower network, even in the middle of Houston where I know I would have gotten EVDO on Verizon, had I paid for the service.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $data$ $roaming$ $is$ $only$ $1xrtt$ $and$ $not$ $EvDO$....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I left Verizon a looong time ago and I'm really happy I did. They have the worst phones and the worst customer service and freaking overpriced too.
    Verizon YOU SUCK BIG TIME! You don't deserve to have a Palm Pre!
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Um, Nick, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. WiMax phones already exist is other parts of the world. WiMax is very, very much about mobile. Not only is Sprint the major investor in Clear, but also so are Google and Intel. These aren't lightweights. Lastly, WiMax can be converted to LTE at minimal cost if that proves to be the protocol de jour. The infrastructure will already be in place.

Verizon will only be at the testing phase in selected markets in 2010 and AT&T isn't even that close. WiMax will be reaching 120 million availability by the end of 2010 as they launch in most major metro markets.

No, this current battle is for smart phone market share going into the holidays and the battle of the telecoms on service pricing. And Verizon is playing the dirtiest pool.
    Sprint's roaming agreement with Verizon allows Sprint phones to only get 1x data when on Verizon's network. Not EVDO.
    I used to work for VZW a couple years ago and I still have some friends that are pretty high up and they know for a fact that there a some Test Verizon Pres floating around. They ran into an engineer that was doing some tests/reviews with one. I am not sure if that means they are definitely getting them but at least they are toying with the idea. It makes sense because it wont take too much work to convert the CDMA pre to Verizon. I know when I worked there I saw a lot of test phones long before they came out. Heck I live in KC and work for sprint and I see Sprint test phones all the time that are not out for months.
    The only other place I know of that WiMax has any popular support is Korea and that's about it.

Sprint is going WiMax but the fact they and Clearwire are already mentioning that they can cross to LTE if needed gives you indication where WiMax is going. And they didnt mention cost... only that they can do through software if needed so cheaper than major hardware changes to where LTE can not do it so easily.

Doesnt matter if they got Google behind them. The two biggest US carriers ATT and Verizon is going LTE... WiMax has a very tough road ahead to them. And basically all the major world carriers are commited to LTE...

See Carrier Adoption section... see the carriers that currently have market share in their respective countries...

3GPP Long Term Evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do believe the rumors that Verizon is working with Apple on a LTE equipped tablet. And wouldnt be a stretch that they will push out iPhone (with LTE, not current network). Going to be a whole new game between ATT and Verizon and wireless when users can jump and keep their phones.

As for Verizon playing dirty pool with Palm... probably. Palm was probably in drivers seat at launch with the latest iPhone killer hyped phone. Verizon probably were prepared for a certain number of subscribers to leave Verizon to go Sprint/Pre and probably hand-shaked some massive numbers from Verizon for a WebOS phone as soon as they can jump carriers and save subscriber loss for WebOS.

But I think they saw that the Pre was not having an impact they thought they might, saw it wasnt earth shattering like iPhone was out the gate and I think the magic number was one million units. Their number probably show that sales were mainly with current Sprint subscribers and barely a hit from their own base. And with Sprint lowering prices and the Pre not able to command the price and popularity that iPhone commands... or even against the BB Storm, Verizon is in the drivers seat.

They need the App store out and rocking ASAP. And now they really have to make a big hit in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Um, Nick, no offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. WiMax phones already exist is other parts of the world. WiMax is very, very much about mobile. Not only is Sprint the major investor in Clear, but also so are Google and Intel. These aren't lightweights. Lastly, WiMax can be converted to LTE at minimal cost if that proves to be the protocol de jour. The infrastructure will already be in place.

Verizon will only be at the testing phase in selected markets in 2010 and AT&T isn't even that close. WiMax will be reaching 120 million availability by the end of 2010 as they launch in most major metro markets.

No, this current battle is for smart phone market share going into the holidays and the battle of the telecoms on service pricing. And Verizon is playing the dirtiest pool.
    Last edited by donm527; 09/25/2009 at 07:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Your information is dated - Verizon's 4G will reach 100 million in 2010 (Link) - unless you think 100 million subscribers = a test.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarner View Post
    Sprint's roaming agreement with Verizon allows Sprint phones to only get 1x data when on Verizon's network. Not EVDO.
    However Sprint does roam on Alltel EVDO. I've done it many times in some areas.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast