Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Poll here for existing VZW customers... Will you try Sprint now that VZW won't carry webOS?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...print-pre.html
    doubt apple would go sprint... Why bother building hw for their network. With verizon rumor has it they will go with LTE so positioning itself for future. Sprint is going with wimax and already saying they can switch to LTE if it doesn't work out. Also with rumor of verizon providing wireless for apples new tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmn1 View Post
    Verizon is such an arrogant company given their absolutely horrid phone selection. While it would have been nice to see Palm sell some more phones Verizon would have cripppled it anyway. Personally if and when the Iphone loses its exclusivity I would love it if Sprint swooped and and signed a CDMA exclusive (I would still keep my Pre). They have really been bringing it with signing exclusive's lately and Sprint didn't turn away Apple like Verizon did. I wonder if Apple still remembers that?
    Whew-- LOTS of speculation here!

At the end of the day, I think Verizon has boring phones, annoying TV ads--and act like they're "all that".

AT&T is all about that stupid iPhone. I've had an iTouch since they came out and that gave me enough hands-on with the device to know that I would never want one as a phone. I did also have a short-term contract (twice) with AT&T and the service was bad, HW was terrible (Razor), and the first time, I had to practically go to the Supreme Court to get a $600 bill dismissed and the default removed from my credit. No way, no how would I ever touch AT&T ever again.

I have been with Sprint for 10+ years now and I just don't see why people are leaving??? IMO, they are getting much of the best phones on the market (finally!). They have also ranked #1 in service in many large markets. I just don't get it. I can see Sprint's huge blunders in the past (like snubbing the Razor) and their general marketing plan and CS. But these days, I don't see valid reasons for leaving them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinPaul View Post
    Whew-- LOTS of speculation here!

I have been with Sprint for 10+ years now and I just don't see why people are leaving??? IMO, they are getting much of the best phones on the market (finally!). They have also ranked #1 in service in many large markets. I just don't get it. I can see Sprint's huge blunders in the past (like snubbing the Razor) and their general marketing plan and CS. But these days, I don't see valid reasons for leaving them.
    I agree I really like Sprint as well. Of course I've had various billing discrepancy issues with them over the years and their CS has improved lately. Overall, their rates and plans are just unbeatable and Sprint coverage is pretty good where I am. Also, only Sprint has the PRE!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    There are several things that I can think of, some have been mentioned already on the speculations:
    • Trying to unify phone OSes to just two or three
    • Bringing the Pixi or a 2nd gen webOS future device
    • Indeed getting the iPhone
    • Have seen homebrew, determined the will of the people will most likely result in futile efforts to lock it down
    • RIM asked them not to otherwise won't develop Storm3 and Storm4
    • Would have to match plan offerings Sprint has in-place for the Pre, would make BigRed look stooopid trying to go toe-to-toe with Anything plan
    • ??
    Thought the numbers so far were soft and the margins didn't make any sense?
    Verizon and RIM seem to get along fine. RIM has their Blackberry App World on every phone along side Verizon's (awful) VCast (actually, it's an installation icon so it doesn't take up any memory until you download it). It doesn't bother me if Verizon wants to put their crapware on a phone so long as they continue to honor the "no gimping" pledge they made last December. All the newer phones have unlocked GPS, full-up Bluetooth services, 3rd party application support.

Based on what I've seen of Palm's development team to date, I'm guessing Verizon told them they need to develop a VCast-like program for the Pre and Palm, looking at their long list of existing software shortfalls told Verizon they couldn't get it done.
    If this report is true and Palm doesn't have the opportunity to sell its product to the largest carrier in the US, its a huge blow. There is no other way to spin it.
    This is a false rumor. Internal sources at both companies have validated that it is still happening between Palm and VZ
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgezachary View Post
    This is a false rumor. Internal sources at both companies have validated that it is still happening between Palm and VZ
    source?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    ... Based on what I've seen of Palm's development team to date, I'm guessing Verizon told them they need to develop a VCast-like program for the Pre and Palm, looking at their long list of existing software shortfalls told Verizon they couldn't get it done.
    I think you probably hit the nail on the head here. Hopefully it's not the last nail in Palm's coffin! I think Palm is being smart and is continuing to take a long term view. I seriously doubt that we'll be seeing an iPhone or a Pixi on Verizon anytime soon, Verizon and Sprint both had hard learning curves with the introduction of smartphones (especially Palm Treos) because their support staff did not understand the things that can go wrong. Sprint took the bull by the horns and learned how to support these phones. Verizon took the "old phone company" approach of "my way or the highway". Verizon does not yet realize that smartphones are the "average" phone of the future, Way to put your head in the sand Verizon. Palm will survive, it's just going to be a rockier climb than we the public thought it would be.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    source?
    I can't say who the sources are. I have plenty of relationships across the entire tech landscape as an early stage venture capitalist that allow me to know.

One hint: I am one of the original investors in Twitter. But this has nothing to do with Twitter...so please dont start misapply that to some kind of VZ-Twitter-Palm relationship.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Based on what I've seen of Palm's development team to date, I'm guessing Verizon told them they need to develop a VCast-like program for the Pre and Palm, looking at their long list of existing software shortfalls told Verizon they couldn't get it done.
    I hope its not the case. If Verizon wants the Pre , PALM can hire developers to do that. Besides they are getting money from that secondary stock option.

My guess, it has to do with who will split the money from the APP store and giving PALM freehand in designing the product.

Spin masters are at work with the Pre sales numbers , Verizon might have thought Pre sales to be weak. Plus PALM's position with low cash thing, they might have played hardball.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    I can't say who the sources are. I have plenty of relationships across the entire tech landscape as an early stage venture capitalist that allow me to know.

One hint: I am one of the original investors in Twitter. But this has nothing to do with Twitter...so please dont start misapply that to some kind of VZ-Twitter-Palm relationship.
    Interesting. Verizon could just be playing hardball with its vendors. Two things I find curious, the first being Verizon's parsing (which I pointed out when it happened) at the launch of the Pre saying "they'd be getting devices from Palm like the Pre." That can be taken two ways.

The other being, that this rumor mentions its support of the Motorola Cliq. This is really peculiar because it was Verizon's total LACK of support for the Cliq upon its debut that everyone commented on and also which baffled Motorola's CEO.

Is Motorola Getting Cranky at Verizon Over Android?

Motorola CEO Sanjay Jha told a financial analysts' conference Monday that he's in talks with carriers other than T-Mobile to sell the new Android-powered Cliq phone, according to the Dow Jones newswires.

This isn't a surprise - all cell phone manufacturers are always in talks with all the carriers about everything, and if they aren't in talks, they want to be in talks.

But the timing and context of this announcement are very interesting indeed. When Motorola announced the Cliq last week, many observers thought they would announce two Android phones. The two phones were supposed to be the T-Mobile Cliq and a long-awaited Motorola Android phone for Verizon Wireless, which pretty much everyone in the industry knows is coming.

But the Verizon phone never showed, and Verizon isn't talking about it. This has yanked one of the legs out from under Motorola's resurgence story, where they hoped to have a big, multi-carrier comeback with multiple operators and devices. Verizon's intransigence may also have helped contribute to what our editor-in-chief Lance Ulanoff said was an oddly disorganized launch presentation for the Cliq.

Jha's agreement with Verizon - assuming there is one - has gagged him; he can't talk about his Verizon deal. So he's left saying his company is "fairly hopeful we will begin to engage with all the U.S. operators." What he's probably thinking, meanwhile, is, "where the heck is our Verizon phone?"

Is Motorola Getting Cranky at Verizon Over Android? - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
    This sort of game-playing could really backfire on Verizon.
    Don't really feel like reading this whole thread so if this is a repeat then so be it and I apologize

Verizon was saying they would jump on the wagon when they thought the Pre would be a smash hit. since then they have seen less than stellar sales, multiple reocurring hardware issues and an OS that just wasn't ready for prime time.

Add in they may not be getting the control they want of the phone and you have a non start between Palm and Verizon. Trust me if Verizon could have made good money selling them they would have turned the other cheek on the control issues

If AT&T turns away from the Pre - Palm will be in a world of hurt and you will likely have another 800w on your hands
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Another reason I didn't like Verizon (left them to get the Pre), they just don't want customers to have a phone that we can actually control...
    ... and its phones are ****-ugly as well.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I can also confirm that the rumor is false for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Interesting. Verizon could just be playing hardball with its vendors. Two things I find curious, the first being Verizon's parsing (which I pointed out when it happened) at the launch of the Pre saying "they'd be getting devices from Palm like the Pre." That can be taken two ways.

The other being, that this rumor mentions its support of the Motorola Cliq. This is really peculiar because it was Verizon's total LACK of support for the Cliq upon its debut that everyone commented on and also which baffled Motorola's CEO.

This sort of game-playing could really backfire on Verizon.
    Sharon - I think you are right about VZ playing hardball with vendors. They have spin machine in action to negotiate better terms - George
    Sharon - I think you are right about VZ playing hardball with vendors. They have spin machine in action to negotiate better terms - George
    And thanks to each of you for your reading of the tea leaves. You're probably right!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Poll here for existing VZW customers... Will you try Sprint now that VZW won't carry webOS?

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...print-pre.html
    You should have added already left VZW to get the Pre.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfceo View Post
    No merger with Sprint...
    Rumors that Deutsche Telekom (DT) might pursue a bid for Sprint (S) continue to fade. Sprint Likely To Go It Alone (Updated) - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com
    It was a rumor that never made sense in the first place?
    What would GSM/UMTS based T-Mo want from CDMA based Sprint? Not only that, but Sprint also has a dated Nextel iDEN network to deal with and has committed themselves to WiMax instead of LTE for their 4G network. Advantages to T-Mo? None.

I know a lot of you are real happy with Sprint, and as a Canadian, I can't really comment on the company from a customer's perspective. But as an IT professional, I gotta say Sprint doesn't seem to have much of a plan for digging themselves out of their hole... other than Palm I guess.
    I applaud Sprint pushing the Pre, but Palm really needs another American partner if they want to grow the webOS consumer base.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast