1.    #1  
    I've searched the forums and haven't been able to find a definitive answer; are there still battery related issues to having Hotmail on the Pre? Does anyone know if WebOS 1.1 or 1.21 has fixed/will fix this issue? In the first couple weeks of having my Pre (I got it at launch) it would heat up something fierce and I read that hotmail was a culprit, so I deleted it from the Pre. I would like to add it back, but don't want to face the heat/battery issues I had before. Can anyone tell me if this is still an issue?
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    I just went to msn.com and went into mail then they have settings in there that will allow you to hook up your number and when you get an email from your hotmail account it will send you a message telling you that you have mail. then you can bookmark your mailbox and every time you want to read your mail you just click on it and it takes you straight to your mailbox. Hope this helps you out.
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Yep it is definitely an issue (from what a Sprint tech told me Hotmail heats up other models of phones too) and I don't think the new update will fix it. I didn't catch anything regarding that in the leaked info..

Your best option is to use Gmail to 'pull' your Hotmail account(s) using IMAP. I do that with 2 Hotmail accounts I have and it works great with no battery heat issues. However, I'm still suspicious of Gmail unnecessarily syncing and wasting battery life but it is minimal. I noticed in the new update notes that 'manual' checking of email will be fixed so there's the solution to that problem I assume.

Gmail and the Pre work perfectly together especially with the calendar. Check it out!
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I've been using hotmail since launch without any issues.
    Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    At first I had a huge issue with it killing the battery and heating up, but after one of the first few updates it pretty much has worked well. If I were you, I'd add it back, check out the performance for a day or so, then if it doesn't meet your standards remove it again.
    They fixed the problem as far as I can tell. I have been using it since the 1.0.2 update and everything is working fine. Fetching mail every hour.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    My hotmail account is HUGE (I had it since the times it was not owned by Microsoft) and contains over 10000 e-mails nicely sorted in folders. Apparently hotmail is not working smart with non-web browser clients: they have to scan the entire account for new mail and cannot ask the account to return e-mails that arrived after certain date (even Microsoft's own LiveMail local engine works this way. Right now I use the following setting with Hotmail inbox on Pre: 'check e-mail every 24 hours'. When I'm connected to the charger at the office or Pre sits on Touchstone at home I manually open Hotmail inbox and force sync a couple of additional times. That way my Hotmail stopped draining battery and I'm getting 2-3% charge drop per hour with moderate use, 5-7% per hour with web browsing or more calls.
    So (for me) the solution was to keep Hotmail, but sync it manually or only once per day automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroslawk View Post
    My hotmail account is HUGE (I had it since the times it was not owned by Microsoft) and contains over 10000 e-mails nicely sorted in folders. Apparently hotmail is not working smart with non-web browser clients: they have to scan the entire account for new mail and cannot ask the account to return e-mails that arrived after certain date (even Microsoft's own LiveMail local engine works this way. Right now I use the following setting with Hotmail inbox on Pre: 'check e-mail every 24 hours'. When I'm connected to the charger at the office or Pre sits on Touchstone at home I manually open Hotmail inbox and force sync a couple of additional times. That way my Hotmail stopped draining battery and I'm getting 2-3% charge drop per hour with moderate use, 5-7% per hour with web browsing or more calls.
    So (for me) the solution was to keep Hotmail, but sync it manually or only once per day automatically.
    I have 8600 e-mails in my hotmail account and I don't have these problems.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo