Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zr123 View Post
    I have been following the Palm Pre since it was officially announced at CES.

I finally made the switch over from having an iPhone 3GS (and previously the 3G) on Fido's GSM network to the Palm Pre on Bell Canada's CDMA network. While I am happy with the Palm product, it's obvious that they have a long ways to go when it comes to competing with Apple's iPhone.

That being said, half the battle is usually won when it comes to your marketing strategy. So far I think Palm has failed miserably!

When I walked into the Bell store to pick up my Palm Pre, I asked the sales associate how sales for the Pre were doing, and his response? "Not bad, but the marketing is bullsh*t" . I agreed with him. Granted Apple and RIM are both much larger than Palm, but still... at least make a dent with your ads.

Furthermore, I think that Palm should've taken the time to work out their kinks on the Pre, launched a proper App Catalog and then released the phone worldwide on the same day.

After having used the Apple iPhone product for roughly 2 years (and a BlackBerry for 2 years before I switched to the iPhone), I honestly feel that Palm has come out with a superior product. Unfortunately the lack of apps and hardware/software glitches don't allow this phone to shine the way it should.

I know a lot of people will argue and compare the Palm Pre to the issues that Apple had with the 1st Gen iPhone or how the iPhone had originally only released in select few countries. But the point here is, the Palm Pre isn't competing with the iPhone 2G or the very first BlackBerry... it's completing with the phones that are out on the market now - namely the iPhone 3GS.

I'm positive that with the launch of the Palm Pre in the UK, a proper paid app catalog and WebOS 1.2.1, the Palm Pre will definitely catch better attention worldwide.

Anywho... just my 2 cents
    So do I . . . so do I. It's too bad that the majority don't know that because the marketing of the Pre has been soooo terrible. If word got out about what this phone can really do (to the masses), then we'd see more Pres in more hands. As it stands, however, the marketing has been atrocious and, when you add the hardware issues into the mix, Palm has a really steep hill to climb. It's such a shame really because the Pre is an amazing gadget and, not to start a war here, is superior in many ways to the iPhone (though the iPhone wins in other categories).
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooke View Post
    There is are a lot of ex-pilot users here in the UK and if they could capitalise on them they would do well but they have somewhat missed the boat allowing Apple to release the S model of iPhone. However the biggest competition is Blackberry, my company issue all managers with BB's and if they could make a dent on that market they would win.
    The only thing the Pre & Web OS have in common with the PalmOS devices like the old Pilots and the Treos is the name Palm. Backberrys and WM devices are really much closer in functionality to the Treos than the Pre is.

I don't see WebOS making a dent in the Corporate market that RIM serves unless it can match RIM in functionality and robustness. Great Web browsing and Facebook integration are not what large IT depts are looking for.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The only thing the Pre & Web OS have in common with the PalmOS devices like the old Pilots and the Treos is the name Palm. Backberrys and WM devices are really much closer in functionality to the Treos than the Pre is.

I don't see WebOS making a dent in the Corporate market that RIM serves unless it can match RIM in functionality and robustness. Great Web browsing and Facebook integration are not what large IT depts are looking for.

and it's not just the phone, both windows mobile and BES have some fairly heavy information infrastructure behind them - palm has nothing at this point.
    How is the Pre doing in Canada with Bell? Has it been a month?
    I am confident that WebOS will be a success worldwide, given time. My take on it is that Palm has not got the backing or resources to ramp up production as rapidly as we would like. There is not much point in releasing to a wider market than you can support and service.

I just wish that they had pursued the Treo Pro line and handled it themselves unlocked. I don't want to wait 12 months for it to arrive in Australia. But it looks like I might have to.
    The pre rocks and is here to stay .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    What do consumers think when they want a new phone?

Desirability and Price. The Iphone was a desirable phone and so price was a secondary issue as its expensive. Desirability is built up through a great product, marketing, band name, positioning etc.

Is the Pre as desirable as the Iphone - NO. So pricing will become the primary concern and as its priced the same as the Iphone it will not do well. Other phones ie HTC Leo, N900 are not as desirable as the Iphone and likewise are cheaper to purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Is the Pre as desirable as the Iphone -
    HELL YES! Would not have an iphone if you wanted to pay me to take it.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12