Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kamakazikev24 View Post
    will the Palm Pre last 24 months?
    That's my concern - best to leave it to the beta-testers at the stage and wait for version 2
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Thats still a better deal than Sprint is offerring for a Pre in the states...
    Yes... With the money difference per user, you could build a dunkin doughnuts in space.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia View Post
    Problem because you're getting a better phone for the same amount of money?

'better' is a subjective measure - I think the problem is that Palm has no brand value, so if the average consumer goes into the store and looks at this and looks at the iphone for about the same money, the palm is a device from a company they have never heard of and they are going to pick up the iphone. Even though I quite fancy a Web OS device, I'd have to seriously consider getting an iphone for the next two years and then coming back to seeing where Web OS had got to. If it was much cheaper, I'd consider a Web OS device first...
  4. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by mafia View Post
    Problem because you're getting a better phone for the same amount of money?
    The Pre is a better phone? Dude, the hardware is junk. The Pre hardware isn't worth anything close to the price of the iPhone hardware. And yes, I've used the Pre.

The software has a LOT of potential but it still has a long way to go. There are numerous bugs that need to be fixed including one that leads to out of memory errors with only a few basic cards open and they need to get on and add missing functionality.

This, along with the iPhone is going to be the most expensive phone in the UK but without the status, big screen or applications of the iPhone. Also it will be sold by the same carrier so potential buyers will have the opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison.

will the Palm Pre last 24 months?
    No. Not unless Palm improve the hardware but with the US and now Canadian horror stories still coming out, I'm doubtful.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Obviously this is going to appeal to geeks first and early adopters.. now it gets interesting...

HTC HD2 (aka, Leo) launching on O2 UK October 12th?

The week before! (if true)
    Theres no mention of any turn by turn mapping coming with the phone.... Was hoping it was going to be alittle cheaper. I think most people will now go with the Iphone. Palm are stupid they should of given it to Vodafone! who instead seem to be picking up the Nokia N900.to fight back with, thats one hell of a phone by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Obviously this is going to appeal to geeks first and early adopters.. now it gets interesting...

Isnt that the 1Ghz snapdragon phone?
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Theres no mention of any turn by turn mapping coming with the phone.... Was hoping it was going to be alittle cheaper. I think most people will now go with the Iphone. Palm are stupid they should of given it to Vodafone! who instead seem to be picking up the Nokia N900.to fight back with, thats one hell of a phone by the way!

I had a look at some Vodafone contracts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    So, will it be SIM-locked or not????
    Vodafone are no worse than any other. I had 3 handsets with them at one point all on 30 a month and phoned them up and told them it was too expensive. so over the phone they increased all the phone mins and texts from 200 -500 to 600 mins and unlimited texts then reduced them all to 25 a month. I still had about 10 months of the contract left!
    I am only with o2 as I get an open code from work that gives me a 30% discount off my line rental. I really wanted this pre but i would have to add in insurance on top and think if its worth it.
    Last edited by kamakazikev24; 09/24/2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Moved from WiMo to desktop lol.
    Any idea how much it'll be off contract in England or Ireland? I'm traveling there at the end of October and may be interested in Picking on up! Are they unlocked (sim-free)?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Ok, new news:
    With an O2 contract in germany (2 years) u pay: 17€ per month and 49,99€ the pre! Ok, u don't have a data plan in it, but u can add it with +8,50€ or so per month (200 MB inclusive)! All that with a flat to o2 phones and fixed lines!
    So bye bye iphone
    On the contracts that O2 UK have released for the Pre it actually works out cheaper buying the phone for £96.89 on the 18 month £34.26 pm contract.

18 Month x £34.96= £616.68
    + £96.89

Totals= £713.57

24 Month x £34.96= £822.24
    + FREE Pre

Totals= £822.24

Difference of £108.67 for the priviledge of a "FREE" phone .

I am just finishing a 18 month contract with O2, don't know whether I could get a loyality discount
  14. Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Vodafone UK announces the 360 H1 and 360 M1 alongside Vodafone 360 : Boy Genius Report

Competition is hotting up.

The new Blackberries should be announced soon as will a whole slew of WM 6.5 phones and there is also the new Motorola, the Nokia N900 and N97-mini to come.

Palm really should have hit the GSM market in the summer when they only had the iPhone, the N97, the Touch Pro 2 and the HTC Hero to deal with.

Vodafone Announces Vodafone 360 - Vodafone
    http://www.precentral.net/good-news-...-and-unlocking

Smiley version: ... .... :| .... :'(
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post
    On the contracts that O2 UK have released for the Pre it actually works out cheaper buying the phone for £96.89 on the 18 month £34.26 pm contract.

+ £96.89

Totals= £713.57

+ FREE Pre

Totals= £822.24

I am just finishing a 18 month contract with O2, don't know whether I could get a loyality discount
    Ummmm....you don't pay an extra £108.67 to get a "FREE" phone...You pay it to have service for an extra 6 months which would normally cost 6 x £34.96 = £209.76 more, but now it only costs you £108.67 more.
    Last edited by symos; 09/24/2009 at 10:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by symos View Post
    Ummmm....you don't pay an extra £108.67 to get a "FREE" phone...You pay it to have extra minutes and texts every month for 18 months.

If the total amount worked out to be the same, what would be the point of the smaller plan?
    I see what you mean but you are locked in a contract for 2 years verus 18 months and have to pay £108.67 for the priviledge. You do not get anymore messages or minutes on the 24 month plan.
    My first post was wrong, I edited, see above.

Still makes sense though, unless all you need is the phone and don't care about the plan at all. However, I assume you're going to use your phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreUK View Post

+ £96.89

Totals= £713.57

+ FREE Pre

Totals= £822.24

I have been told that o2 dont really reward loyalty as they dont have to try as hard as some other networks to keep people. Unlike vodafone who bend over backwards to keep hold of customers.

However if you live in Norwich I can get you a 30% discount for the life of your contract using an o2 open code which I get from work, £35 a month goes down to about £23 ish.ect ect.
    Just have to wait to see if o2 will allow the o2 open code to be used on the Pre, they dont allow it on the 3GS as they exclude some smart phones but they do let you use it on the 3G....

Still not sure if I will get a Pre myself, there's loads of exciting new phones coming out over the next few months.
    Last edited by kamakazikev24; 09/24/2009 at 11:06 AM.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by no1smartphone View Post
    Epic Epic Fail

You know o2 was going to do this - they have priced the Palm the same as the Iphone 3G 8Gb.

Either pay £90 for the Palm Pre or £180 for the Iphone 3GS 16Gb - both on identical tariffs.

Palm will not shift many pre in the UK unless they can force o2 to cut the price they are selling the Pre's at. My brother was so after one of these but now he will end up going with the Iphone 3GS.
    I am not sure what your brother does for living , I know folks who work for NHS ( their hospital system) who use WinMo all the time and don't like iPhone at all. Some of the folks are old PALM faithful. They used few of the medical software on old PALM OS. They were are looking at Pre as an alternative to their "reboot a day" WinMos.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast