1.    #1  
    Again, thanks for all the help in my previous thread.

I have a fresh Pre coming in the mail. What Apps are absolute Must-Haves?
    n00b question: Where is a good source for apps? The app page here? The official Palm site?
    Thanks!
    The 1.21 weobos firmware probably will be out next week...so until then the official App catalog is still in beta. When it does go official live however, the number of apps should be substantially larger. In the meantime read the howto's for installing the webos quick install apps. Use that to install Filecoaster and Preware. Once you do that you will have access to hundreds of homebrew and theme out there...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    ...so until then the official App catalog is still in beta. When it does go official live however, the number of apps should be substantially larger.
    This ssems to be a popular belief. I wonder where it stems from. I follow Pre blogs and forums pretty closely, and I don't get the feeling that the App catalog is going to suddenly take off. maybe it will, but i'm wondering what am I missing. i think that apps will drop more regularly (rather than just Thursdays) but again, i'm not seeing a flood on the horizon. beta or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    This ssems to be a popular belief. I wonder where it stems from. I follow Pre blogs and forums pretty closely, and I don't get the feeling that the App catalog is going to suddenly take off. maybe it will, but i'm wondering what am I missing. i think that apps will drop more regularly (rather than just Thursdays) but again, i'm not seeing a flood on the horizon. beta or not.
    I couldn't agree with you more. The fact that Palm never coded a driver for the very capable GPU on the Pre and absolutely no support whatsoever for OpenGL ES in the SDK has turned off many hard-core app developers. Apple have let the cat out of the bag with a plethora of beautiful, 3D rendered apps available in their app store, I just don't see how people can be satisfied with a bunch of tip calculators and restaurant locators written in basic java and html. Developer interest in this platform is dying. Even the homebrew scene has slowed considerably.

The people on this site are anxiously awaiting a whole lotta nothing if and when the app catalog comes out of beta.
    Last edited by Groovehog; 09/24/2009 at 02:15 AM.
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-overw...on-submissions

Palm will open up more API as the platform matures. OpenGL etc will eventually be supported...I truely believe so. In the meantime Palm is executing quite quickly. Firmware 1.21 is about to be released, Pixie has been announced for fall release, GSM Pre annoucement just made, and in the meantime Homebrew is quickly chugging along...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions