1.    #1  
    Where do I begin! Between Palm, Sprint and Bestbuy no one will take responsibility and help me.

I was going to get the iphone and leave Sprint after 12 years of loyalty for AT&T. The customer service agent from Sprint talked me into getting the PalmPre and told me to go to Bestbuy to get it, since they take care of the mail in rebate. I waited 3 weeks until my billing cycle restarted and..I bought 2 Palm Pre's on Sept. 9th One for me and one for my fiance, they are both on the same family plan.

His works fine, mine did not.. The power button did not work and the device would not "lock" among other problems. So I went in and exchanged it for another. Well this phone was sluggish and response time was very slow, plus I was not getting service it was in and out and I could not receive or make phone calls.

Ok so three times a charm, I exchanged once again for phone #3 and still could not maintain a signal plus the battery life was less than an hour fully charged. The sales clerk was not happy about it when I suggested there was a bad batch at their store (especially because there were 2 other people with pre problems.)

Yesterday I drove all the way to a different Best Buy further away to try again and hopefully their merchandise was fully functioning. Only to get there and find out they are sold out of Pre's. The sales associate recommended I go to a Sprint Store, surely they would take care of me after all of this grief. NOPE. They were so nasty, I almost cancelled my contract and paid the penalty. They could do nothing for me.. Sprint suggested I drive to bestbuy, return my device then drive all the way back and buy from them. they refused to sell me a phone outright because it would be $700 dollars and they were unwilling to "price adjust." They said for me to return to the original bestbuy. So I did, and I called Sprint Customer service and account services. I explained my situation to Sprint customer service and they said there was nothing they could do for me, I should'nt have bought the phone from a 3rd party Vendor. THE SAME VENDOR THEY SENT ME TO! I asked for a service credit, I have not been able to receive or send phone calls and for my agravation they should compensate me. For goodness sake they have spent millions on this ad campaign and it has been a nightmare for me.

I almost returned the phone and went back to a basic phone, but the Best Buy mobile manager was very nice and she set me up with my 4th phone, MY FOURTH ONE IN 2 weeks!! I left the store thinking everything was ok, my data loaded and the software was much faster than the slow, laggy ones from my previous phones.

It took a while at the store and the battery was about dead so I couldn't check to see if everything was a-ok. So after it died I put it on the charger and left for an appointment. When I got home to my hopefully wonderful phone...It wouldn't pick up a signal.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt and all day have been trying to call my voicemail.. no dice. It will not call out and will not receive calls.

I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do.

Do I take it back for a 5th try??? Sprint, Bestbuy, and Palm(oh ya forgot to mention the 4 hours phone call to them where they came to the conclusion that I should just return it for another!) don't want to help resolve this issue.

And believe me 2 weeks with no service is a BIG ISSUE!

So what would you recommend?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Uhm... time to move on ma'am. The Pre just isn't for you.
    Wonder if there is somehting wrong with your Palm profile?

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    I kinda agree... Mainly because it sounds like you have signal/reception issues where you live or frequent. you can try another phone and hope its a good phone but then you need to check how signal strength is for you.

I know people post from S Florida where I am and read how great their signal is but for me I have co workers and from them seeing, the area I would most frequent like work... signal is so bad that it was one of a few reasons why i didnt go with Pre.
    yeah, it sounds as though it may make sense to look at another device...or at least inquire about an airrave...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    did u chech ur PRL ///go to phone>menu>updated PRL that usually works
    also make sure u have web os 1.1
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm having the same problems with my phone even in town Cedar Rapids Iowa I am constantly switching from EVDO and 1X while just standing still.
    It sucks to be you guys. Move on to another phone or carrier. I have 4 Pres in the family and we haven't had problems with any of them. My kids live in San Francisco and I live in Central CA. I purchase 1 phone in SF at Best Buy, one phone in Central CA at Best Buy and two phone in Central CA at Sprint.
    I had the same problem with my phone and had to exchange it only once. My problem was that I wasn't getting a signal at home. Coming from the Centro where as I had no problem talking to not being able to talk at all on my Pre. At that time I had had the Pre for about two weeks and I was so in love with it that I couldn't see myself going back to the Cento or any other phone, so Sprint offered me the Airave and everything has been great!!!
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    When you get a new phone, be sure to run Update. Pre's out of the box probably have an early version of phone software.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubal View Post
    Thats the answer for everybody. OBVIOUSLY the op is either a ****** or what ever. I would imagine that she alone has the problem since she says her fiance's phone is fine. OBVIOUSLY the op is not "smart enough" to use the phone. It could NEVER be the phone!!! Not here at least.
    Last edited by firstimer; 09/26/2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: didn"t realize fanbo* was a bad word
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    Thats the answer for everybody. OBVIOUSLY the op is either a ****** or what ever. I would imagine that she alone has the problem since she says her fiance's phone is fine. OBVIOUSLY the op is not "smart enough" to use the phone. It could NEVER be the phone!!! Not here at least.
    The problem is if the phone isn't working for you for whatever reason it's time to move on to another phone. I don't care what phone it is not every phone will work for everyone in every location. The Pre obviously isn't working for her so she should get another device, one that does work for her.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    ^^^^^^^ Thanks for the clarification
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post

I'm guessing you were being sarcastic.

If you go through 4 Pre's, why on god's green earth would you still want a Pre? Doesn't matter if you're someone who hasn't the first clue or someone who actually built the Pre.

Same with anything else. If I try a restaurant 4 times and all 4 times suck, I'm probably not going back. Even though my buddy says it's the best.

If I buy a camera and the first 4 of them suck, I'm sure as heck not going to try a 5th, even though it's got 5 stars on amazon.

There comes a time when you need to just move on.
    What are the odds of getting 4 bad phones in a row?

Is it time to think that something else may be wrong?

Nah.....couldn't be.
    I had an issue with 2 phones bought and returned from Bestbuy as well but it seems like the third time's a charm now and I just got the device on the 2nd of September.

Weird.
    Hi laurengav,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with the Pre, BestBuy, and Sprint. After reading through your post I'd like to suggest that you use "science" to your advantage here and do some controlled experiments. I think you may have had a combination of some bad Pre's and some good Pre's that don't work well for your particular usage. Your sluggish Pre #2 might have been a good Pre. If you open a web page that has a large number of images, and leave this card open and open as little as one or more cards, the Pre can get sluggish. While this should not happen, it does under those circumstances. Other times, you can easily open 7 or 8 cards and have no problems (assuming each card does not use a large amount of memory). If the phone get's sluggish, the easiest solution for a new user is to power cycle the device (by holding the power button in and answering the prompt to shut off the phone, and then holding the power button in again until you see the palm logo appear (indicating your device is booting up)). This should get you to "work around" the problem you saw with Pre #2.

My next suggestion (along the same lines of "experimenting" is to go to the Sprint store with both phones and have them activate each device onto the other account). I'm not saying "you" are the problem - instead I'm suggesting a scientific way to prove to others that this is not the case. If any problems you are having follow themselves to your fiancee, then you have a "control" that proves that phone is faulty.

The last issue is the reception at home. The Pre seems to have a much harder time getting reception indoors than other Sprint phones. You are lucky to have two phones to compare. Call *2 on the phone, explain that you are having reception problems at home, and Sprint will likely suggest an Airave (which is a device that connects to your home internet and acts like a "cell tower in your house" for your phones. (Actually it does VoIP calls over your internet connection, but people that have it say that it solves their "at home" reception problems.) The device normally sells for somewhere around $150 and costs around $5 per month, but they'll likely offer a credit on your account equal to the device cost. The $5/month can be taken off your bill (for like 2 years out, and can be re-set-up if you still need the Airave after 2 years). I think there is a limit on how long recurring payments can be discounted and that's the reason for the 2 year limit. Most account reps don't even tell people about the limit, and it will be easy to get it extended if/when the time comes.

So hopefully an Airave will solve your current device problem. If not, and after some controlled experiments you are not happy, then consider another device or return the Pre's and go with the iPhone. Good luck with the Pre's and the upcoming wedding!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!