1.    #1  
    I am thinking of converting from a Centro to the Pre but I'm in love with the calendar that the Centro offers. I use the centro calendar as my to do list and look at it all day and love the ease of adding new tasks, the ease of making each task/appt daily, weekly, monthly etc. I don't sync with any other calendars, I only use it as my to do list and appointments. I don't know what the name of the calendar type is that the Centro offers, but is there a way to get the calendar that the Centro uses for a PRE? Thanks for any help.
    there is an app that makes a to-do list out of your calendar stuff
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    I have been sorely dissapointed in the pre calender. Actually a bit angry about it... Sounds like you use the calendar the same way I did and the pre is nowhere near good enoughin calendaring for the level of the phone. It seems like they focused on alot on the WOW factor and fogot the roots of palm. While the calendar is a source of daily frustration, with the addition of the homebrew apps and incredible developers here the rest of the phone (sometimes slow and wonky) is just an amazing device. So the centro and especially datebk currently have suerior calendaring, but I am hopeful that w/ the new catalog and updates we will see some improvement and FLOATING EVENTS which completely eliminates the need for that lame tasks app. Good Luck and welcome?
    DON'T DO IT. The WebOS calendar is inferior to the PalmOS calendar. There's no point in trying to sugarcoat the problem. The WebOS calendar is terrible. Stick with your Centro until Palm rewrites it. I don't think a simple patch is going to be enough.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    I agree the Pre calendar is slower, and has fewer capabilities than the Centro calendar, and I am disappointed by that. BUT, the syncing with Google calendar solved one of the biggest problems I ever had with the Centro. Either my wife or I only has to enter a calendar event on ONE device (her Pre, my Pre, Google, her iCal, my Outlook) and it is automatically on every device. This is something the Pre can do that the Centro calendar can't do, thus, makes up to some degree for the Pre's shortcomings.

Now, having said that, I am still in need of a task list that syncs between either Google and the Pre or Outlook and the Pre.
    I gave my Centro to my son when I got the Instinct. I TOOK BACK my Centro when I discovered the the LAME A$# calendar it had. I decided to wait for Pre, I fgured that it would have the same type of forward thinking calendar app that my Centro had. BOY was I disappointed when it came out.

The Centro's month view with color codes was my biggest issue. Why is this so hard to understand? I can look at a month and see when I work, the wife works, the kids have games, and weekend plans, all at a glance. Still something Pre doesn't do.

Now I have to admit that I'm happier now with Pre's calendar since I have found out how to use Google Calendar and the color codes. (still not on Month view though). I also like the fact that using Google it is Cloud based and can be accessed from anywhere if I want the big picture.

What amazes me is that this is suppose to be a business phone as well as a social phone. If thats the case they should have come up with a killer calendar app that works in both circles. Where are the business app developers too??? What is it going to take to invent a really cool calendar?

In the end Google has fixed the biggist problems with my Pre calendar, but a month view is still needed that has the color codes on it. THAT'S an app I would pay for! Kind of like the OSK app. Once that help get more out of your Pre.
    Maybe its just me, but I have no problems with the WebOs Calendar. I was just switching cards between the WebOs Calendar & the Palm OS (Centro) Calendar on Classic (which you could easily still use for the purposes you mentioned). I get what people say. It is slower than the Centro Cal. But the only functionality I think is missing is having more options on the alarm settings. The trade off for being a second slower is the WebOs calendar looks better and is more fun to navigate around (IMO). I use the cal. Daily and honestly have no gripes. But like I said, maybe it's just me.

I had the 755p which has the same OS as the centro. It was a good phone. Very dependable. But once you own your Pre, you will not miss your Centro.
    But the only functionality I think is missing is having more options on the alarm settings.
    It's more than missing functionality -- the WebOS user interface (date scroll wheels) is pretty and it looks a lot like the iPhone interface, but picking dates from the PalmOS (and even WinMo) calendar view is so much faster. This is where all the influence of all those former Apple employees won out over the tried-and-true efficiency that was already in the existing PalmOS calendar. It's a classic case of style over substance. The calendar was the most used PIM app on all of my PalmOS devices; it often takes twice as long to enter or edit an event with WebOS. That's my primary gripe. There are other problems, already covered on other threads, so I'll stop there.
    Powered by Palm since 1996...
    Palm Pilot > Palm V > Tungsten T > Trēo 650 > Centro > Prē > Prē F102

...gave up and switched to iPhone4 7/15/10
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by doublebullout View Post
    It's more than missing functionality -- the WebOS user interface (date scroll wheels) is pretty and it looks a lot like the iPhone interface, but picking dates from the PalmOS (and even WinMo) calendar view is so much faster. This is where all the influence of all those former Apple employees won out over the tried-and-true efficiency that was already in the existing PalmOS calendar. It's a classic case of style over substance. The calendar was the most used PIM app on all of my PalmOS devices; it often takes twice as long to enter or edit an event with WebOS. That's my primary gripe. There are other problems, already covered on other threads, so I'll stop there.
    Thats what I was trying to say! Style over substance

However as much as the calendar upsets me the phone is really nice.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    As a long time Palm/Datebk3/4/5/6 user, I've been suffering some of the same withdrawal as many of us. I've been using DateBk6 in Classic, but there seems to be some sort of bug with notifications. Hopefully Classic 2.0 will fix this, as well as add Hot Sync. Still, I've been slowly moving my events and tasks to the Pre calendar (don't look back, they're gaining on us!).

The homebrew Agenda program (by haeffb), helps make up for many of the Pre calendars shortcomings. It rocks. It makes it easy to use color coded calendars to sort things out.

I've also taken to using the calendar as my task list, thanks to Agenda. The only P.I.T.A. being moving uncompleted tasks forward (FLOATING EVENTS, PALM!)

BTW - I did a feature request over at Palm for floating events. Please do the same!

HTH,

-JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    I never realized how important the calendar was to me till I started using my Pre. On my Treo 755p the calendar was so responsive and unfortunately because the calendar uses the cloud I think that causes a lot of the delays we see.

I used GooSync for my 755p which worked fine.

Garnet Calendar > WebOS Calendar

For now Agenda is helping ease my woes. Wondering why 1.2 has no calendar speed improvements.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  12.    #12  
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I just found out about this site and it's great. It's hard for me to fully know the PRE since I don't own it yet and my info only comes from a few minutes with it, but on the PRE does the task list show up differently that the calendar? It sounds like the people who realize that the PRE calendar is inferior use the task function on the PRE?? I use the calendar on my Centro as my task list so is it as easy as using the PRE's task list and just writing the time of any appointments on a task? It seems like it takes longer to enter a new appointment or task on the PRE? Also, I hate having to have appoinments and tasks in 2 different places. Is there no application where I can just download the Centro calendar to the PRE and have the best of all worlds, it would seem easy since someone already has created the Centro calendar.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreJamison View Post
    Maybe its just me, but I have no problems with the WebOs Calendar. I was just switching cards between the WebOs Calendar & the Palm OS (Centro) Calendar on Classic (which you could easily still use for the purposes you mentioned). I get what people say. It is slower than the Centro Cal. But the only functionality I think is missing is having more options on the alarm settings. The trade off for being a second slower is the WebOs calendar looks better and is more fun to navigate around (IMO). I use the cal. Daily and honestly have no gripes. But like I said, maybe it's just me.

I had the 755p which has the same OS as the centro. It was a good phone. Very dependable. But once you own your Pre, you will not miss your Centro.
    The biggest problem I have with the WebOs calendar (over the Centro) is NO SEARCH FUNCTION!!! If I wanted to know when an upcoming wedding was on my Centro, or if I wanted to see when I visited somebody in the hospital, I could just do a search for WEDDING or HOSPITAL and it quickly bring up all entries with that keyphrase.

But NON-EXISTENT on the Pre - it is very inconvenient and needs to be rectified soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
    As a long time Palm/Datebk3/4/5/6 user, I've been suffering some of the same withdrawal as many of us. I've been using DateBk6 in Classic, but there seems to be some sort of bug with notifications. Hopefully Classic 2.0 will fix this, as well as add Hot Sync. Still, I've been slowly moving my events and tasks to the Pre calendar (don't look back, they're gaining on us!).

The homebrew Agenda program (by haeffb), helps make up for many of the Pre calendars shortcomings. It rocks. It makes it easy to use color coded calendars to sort things out.

I've also taken to using the calendar as my task list, thanks to Agenda. The only P.I.T.A. being moving uncompleted tasks forward (FLOATING EVENTS, PALM!)

BTW - I did a feature request over at Palm for floating events. Please do the same!

HTH,

-JerryG
    I was of thinking of dropping the Pre before Agenda and QuickEvent came on the scene. Definite lifesavers. If they can work tasks into those two homebrews I'll be happy with the PIM management