Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    So, I have the TS, actually 2, but the one I have hooked up in the car is causing me some issues...Let me start out that it works fine...charges the PRE and holds it in position, but, when I use my blinkers, I will always get that now charging sound...This DRIVES me crazy especially when I am in traffic moving in and out of lanes...

Besides putting the PRE in silent mode and missing calls, is there anything I can do? Or should I just imitate the rest of the drivers and just never use my signals?
  2. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpecos View Post
    So, I have the TS, actually 2, but the one I have hooked up in the car is causing me some issues...Let me start out that it works fine...charges the PRE and holds it in position, but, when I use my blinkers, I will always get that now charging sound...This DRIVES me crazy especially when I am in traffic moving in and out of lanes...

Besides putting the PRE in silent mode and missing calls, is there anything I can do? Or should I just imitate the rest of the drivers and just never use my signals?

lol you definitely want to keep using your signals. As you look like a ******* otherwise as well as it being 1 of the leading causes of vehicular accidents. lol but I am sure you were kidding anyway. Either way it is probably caused by the wiring in your car. For some reason the blinkers interfere with the power output in your car.
    If I had to guess, I'd say your turn signals are affecting the 12V accessory circuit. Obviously, this shouldn't happen, so perhaps you have a faulty turn signal unit that's drawing too much current.

If you're so inclined (and equipped) you could check the voltage of the accessory socket with and without turn signals on.

Regards,
    Tom
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Agreed, it's not the TS, it's the power to the TS.

Youy've either using a very small amp circuit or you may have a bad battery or some other elec. issue. Likely it's just the power to that power port, or where evere you're getting power from.

Mine works great, unless it get's hot from the sun or no air. Heat causes it to actually depleat the battery.
    Low voltage.

You are using the Palm car charger, right? Or an off-brand?

The Sprint charger seems to work fine. Just trim off the top of the plug.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Yea, I try to use the indicators all the time, sorry, it was a bad attempt at humor.

As for checking the circuitry, I will have to check, but it appears that I might be stepping into a money pit to fix the issue with the car...
    You dont say what kind of car it is but I'm going to guess its either Italian or British?

Sounds like your turn signal relay is shorting. If it is a older British car then there is a good chance there isn't a relay. When you tune your radio to a dead spot in the band and turn up the volume can you hear your turn signal clicking? I bet you can.

I'm about 99.9% sure the problem is your car and not your Touchstone or Car Charger. Just be sure, try it in another car.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Low voltage.

- Craig
    It's the Palm charger...trim off the top of the plug...how so?
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Low voltage.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    You dont say what kind of car it is but I'm going to guess its either Italian or British?

Sounds like your turn signal relay is shorting. If it is a older British car then there is a good chance there isn't a relay. When you tune your radio to a dead spot in the band and turn up the volume can you hear your turn signal clicking? I bet you can.

I'm about 99.9% sure the problem is your car and not your Touchstone or Car Charger. Just be sure, try it in another car.
    It is a 2005 Hyundai Tuscon with over 110k miles... I am thinking it's the car and not the TS...
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    He's talking about the Sprint Charger that's not ideal. If you have the Palm Charger, you're good to go!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    have a mechanic check your electric system. it sounds like using your signals causes a voltage drop in the charger circuit, causing the Pre to think the charger turns off for a second.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Another idea is to make the TS a bit more of a permanent feature. If you're not afraid of a little bit of wiring, it's a fairly simple matter to go to any auto parts place (Autozone, Checker, etc) and pick up a kit to wire an additional 12v socket. Hide that somewhere in your dash and plug the Touchstone into that. If you wire it straight to a fuse block, you'll probably solve your signal problems as well as freeing your main 12v socket for other devices.
    There are problems with the Palm Car Charger and the Touchstone.

"The Sprint charger seems to work fine. Just trim off the top of the plug."

Search on "Touchstone Car" and you will find multiple threads talking about the problems with the Palm charger and the Touchstone.

Palm Pre using a Touchstone mounted in your car? Post your pictures here!

Touchstone on/off problem solved in the car

I bought two Sprint chargers from Trim71 for $10 each and have had no problems. Just trim off the top of the plug of the Sprint Car Charger.

- Craig