1.    #1  
    Several years ago, I won a first gen iPod Mini. As time passed, I worked my way up to an iTouch. So now I have a Mini that I use in my man cave that I run into my stereo. It's always on the charger so the fact that it doesn't hold a charge is not a problem.

I have a Nano that's nice and small for the gym.
    My wife has a Shuffle which she uses for running.
    I also have an iTouch. I use it as a jukebox during parties here at the house and for days and nights on our boat.

I got tired enough of the iTouch to know that I would not get an iPhone. So-- if people are using iPhones to play music (through stereos), what the heck do you do when the phone rings? So many people have asked me why I just didn't go all the way and get the iPhone when they see my iTouch. Besides the fact that I am not an AT&T fan and don't like the form factor of the iPhone--as a phone--I said that I never wanted to have my phone in the same device as my music. We entertain a lot at home and when we're on the lake, I am always on the phone coordinating with people to tell them where we're anchored, etc--all the while the music is playing and our friends are having a good time. Would I interrupt the music each time the phone rings?

Is there something I am missing here? I've got about 30 more days until I am eligible, and then I am getting a Pre. I am not too worried about music on it since I have iPods for that. I know it would be different if I was using the ear buds and was a student, etc. Thoughts?

Thanks-- Paul
    It's why I own a Zune(and if I ever can get it sold, a Zune HD).
    Man Cave?

But yeah it'll cut off the music, but that only makes sense. But not to worry it'll be back right after your call gets dropped.

It makes sense really to do that, not only because it's illogical not too, but I always pause music when I pick up my home phone anyway.

But going from an iTouch to an iPhone is a few steps back in my opinion... the good apps are accessible to the iTouch and you don't have to pay insane amounts for a phone that isn't a very good one.
    Why use iPods for music? When I'm listening to music or podcasts or Pandora on my Pre, I'm using a stereo bluetooth headset. When I get a call, the audio mutes and pauses. Tap the button on the headset to answer. Talk. Hangup and whatever I was listening to before resumes.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Man Cave?

But yeah it'll cut off the music, but that only makes sense. But not to worry it'll be back right after your call gets dropped.

It makes sense really to do that, not only because it's illogical not too, but I always pause music when I pick up my home phone anyway.

But going from an iTouch to an iPhone is a few steps back in my opinion... the good apps are accessible to the iTouch and you don't have to pay insane amounts for a phone that isn't a very good one.
    Man Cave? Yea, I'm a guitar player and have a wall of amps, guitars hanging on the wall, a sofa, TV, etc. It's an awesome place to all my own. Every man should have one.

So I'm not the only one. Pause the music and answer a call? I wouldn't do that during a party--I think it would be rude. I just go to where it's quieter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Why use iPods for music? When I'm listening to music or podcasts or Pandora on my Pre, I'm using a stereo bluetooth headset. When I get a call, the audio mutes and pauses. Tap the button on the headset to answer. Talk. Hangup and whatever I was listening to before resumes.
    Yeah that would be super elegant with a party full of guests dancing to music coming off your phone.
  7.    #7  
    Please note the part about my mainly using my iPods for jukeboxes at parties and on the lake and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinPaul View Post
    Man Cave? Yea, I'm a guitar player and have a wall of amps, guitars hanging on the wall, a sofa, TV, etc. It's an awesome place to all my own. Every man should have one.
    Mine has power tools and tons of wood and metal to make things. But each to their own.

So I'm not the only one. Pause the music and answer a call? I wouldn't do that during a party--I think it would be rude. I just go to where it's quieter.
    If you are using your Pre for entertaining everyone, then put it in airplane mode. You either have a device that does both for solo use, or turn off the phone functions when used exclusively for music.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    I don't know if i'd ever use an iPod, but I imagine it would be benefitial in being portable with all your songs.

But yeah I'm sure you'd just throw the iPhone into airplane mode, like the Pre, no calls but you'd get your music.

In a group use case I couldn't see using anything but two items

My man cave has all the tools to build guitars Got quite a few in different stages currently.
  11.    #11  
    Mine has power tools and tons of wood and metal to make things. But each to their own. ==== LOL, well, I've got one of those too, but it's not nearly as comfy as the one INside the house!

If you are using your Pre for entertaining everyone, then put it in airplane mode. You either have a device that does both for solo use, or turn off the phone functions when used exclusively for music.
    But you are missing the point about my needing to be able to receive calls. Our get-togethers are often impromptu so we have lots of back-and-forth phone calls.

I guess I was just wondering how many other people prefer to have two seperate devices for music and phone.

Thanks-- Paul
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I think this is a case where too much thought is put into it. Overthinking. The OP.

I understand someone not wanting to put music on their phone. Chews battery life and such. I honestly prefer an all-in-one device, but I understand his POV.

But,... that being said -- trying to compare it to stopping the music at a party is ridiculous. Like I said, too much thought. The music will stop when a call comes and resume afterwards. You can still receive calls! Even when playing music before the call. The music just stops and resumes.

That's not disrespectful at all to other people!
    Well, if your use cases only include listening to music with other people, yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense to use your Pre as the source.

However, if you think about personal music where you're the only one listening, then it makes a lot of sense. This is the primary distinction. I listen to music a lot at work, on my own, at my own desk, with my headphones. When I get a call, I love that it comes through the headset. It's goodness.

Just because I don't want to use it for a music source in social occasions doesn't mean I don't want to use it as a music source.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdfierro View Post
    That's not disrespectful at all to other people!
    Me thinks it is, but I respect your opinion.
  15.    #15  
    Oh yea, don't get me wrong-- I will be loading my music onto my Pre for personal use. I just won't use it when I'm pumping tunes through the stereo. For the boat crowd, I don't want to have my PC sitting out there powered up. The iTouch connected to my boat sound systems is working for me just fine. I've got an 18' connector cord on it, so I can pass it around for people to choose what they want to hear.

I was just confused as to why some people were so confused that I did not just go ahead and get the iPhone. My answer then, and now, was simple, because I don't like AT&T, the iPhone, and want to be able to take and make calls without interrupting the girls who are dancing to the music!

Ok, I think I've beaten this thread down enough! Thanks for your thoughts all.
    Since I can't fit all my music on the Pre, I only have a few albums loaded on it -- for emergency listening. My primary mp3 player is my Sansa Fuse. It is very small and lightweight and doesn't take up much room in my purse. I don't have much use for iTunes since I acquired most of my music over the years on CDs (all ripped to an external hard drive). My car stereo has a USB port and my car music lives on a 32GB flash drive.
    This is exactly why I am debating getting a Zune HD. However, after experimenting a bit with the zune marketplace, I am not to thrilled that all the music you get off there is in WMA format. Why can't people just do MP3 like amazon...

But yes, I think an addition player for the gym/stereo/parties is needed in addition to the pre. But on a student's budget, the zune is a bit expensive.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I personally have a shuffle for the gym first gen mini for my home usage, and use the Pre with Pandora while on the move. No reason to limit yourself!