Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    You sure use up a lot of battery for someone who is not allowed to have their phone with them at work. I usually work 10-12 hour days and use my Pre for a fair amount of web browsing during the day, a few phone calls and texts, and use Pandora in my car going to and from work. My battery is usually at 30-40% by the time I get home. If you can't use yours while you are working, your battery should still be nearly full at the end of the day. I got my Pre on launch day and have had it go completely dead exactly twice.

The Pre is NOT a cell phone, it's a computer that fits in your pocket and needs to be treated as such. That's why Palm put these safeguards in place. If they didn't, there would be countless threads on here with the title, "My battery died and now my Pre is a brick".

I don't see this being a problem for business people. Any (smart) business person that relies on their phone will make sure it is ALWAYS fully charged and carry an extra battery just in case.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 09/24/2009 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    You sure use up a lot of battery for someone who is not allowed to have their phone with them at work. I usually work 10-12 hour days and use my Pre for a fair amount of web browsing during the day, a few phone calls and texts, and use Pandora in my car going to and from work. My battery is usually at 30-40% by the time I get home. If you can't use yours while you are working, your battery should still be nearly full at the end of the day. I got my Pre on launch day and have had it go completely dead exactly twice.

The Pre is NOT a cell phone, it's a computer that fits in your pocket and needs to be treated as such. That's why Palm put these safeguards in place. If they didn't, there would be countless threads on here with the title, "My battery died and now my Pre is a brick".

I don't see this being a problem for business people. Any (smart) business person that relies on their phone will make sure it is ALWAYS fully charged and carry an extra battery just in case.
    Do you think a smartphone should take 16 minutes to boot from complete battery drain? yes or no? that's the issue at hand here, it isn't preference, daily usage or what a person should or shoudn't do with the phone. Complete battery drain will happen to everyone at some point or another.

if you accept that the op is credible about the time, Why are you defending a 16 minute boot time?

there is so much fail in this thread....
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    So I've known about this since day one when I went nuts using my Pre all day and killed the battery, but I never quite knew the impact of draining the battery all the way until I actually timed it the other day. Granted this is not a scientific test, and I didn't even have a stop watch, but my method was pretty simple. My phone drained ALLL the way just as i was about to plug it in. Within 5 seconds of the phone turning off on me I plugged in the phone to my car charger. I looked at the clock and waited.... and waited... and waited... I'm sure most of you with Pres have seen it. There is a charging indicator on the screen and nothing you do could possibly get the thing to turn on even if you have the thing consistently plugged in. Approx 13 minutes later, the phone FINALLY starts booting. Took another 3 minutes or so to actually get to a usable state. Maybe others can understand this, but I can't figure out why a device can't immediately be turned on when its plugged in. It has a power source! What's the issue? This really bugs me since it's left me hanging a few times. I was in the middle of a conversation, or getting info or something, and poof... I'm gone for 16 MINUTES! Fortunately i don't have any important business contacts I have to use my phone for, otherwise, this could be a REALLY major problem. I'm hoping this is something they fixed in WebOS 1.2, but I don't really have any expectations for it. Hopefully someone at Palm can see this and add this to their list of important updates.
    16 MINUTES! Oh my god! what did you do for 16 minutes? did you have to talk to someone face to face? Did you have to make a call using the phone in your office? Did you miss someones facebook update? I'm glad you made it through the horror of a quarter of an hour without your phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by gepeder View Post
    16 MINUTES! Oh my god! what did you do for 16 minutes? did you have to talk to someone face to face? Did you have to make a call using the phone in your office? Did you miss someones facebook update? I'm glad you made it through the horror of a quarter of an hour without your phone!
    fail
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Do you think a smartphone should take 16 minutes to boot from complete battery drain? yes or no? that's the issue at hand here, it isn't preference, daily usage or what a person should or shoudn't do with the phone. Complete battery drain will happen to everyone at some point or another.

if you accept that the op is credible about the time, Why are you defending a 16 minute boot time?

there is so much fail in this thread....
    First, 16 minutes is not the boot time. The Pre takes roughly 3 minutes to boot up. The rest of this down time there isn't anything going on except the battery charging to a level that Palm has specified as being the safe level to be able to boot up. As others have said in this thread, the charging time varies depending on the charger being used. I would guess the OP was using a car charger that only charges at 500mA. The first time I ran my battery all the way down, all I had available was a 500mA charger and it did take about 15 minutes before booting up. The other time it happened I used the Palm charger (1000mA) and it was up and running again in less than 10 minutes.

Keep in mind that the Pre is capable of drawing more current than is being supplied by a charger, especially if only using a 500mA charger. Therefore, the battery MUST be charged to a safe level before booting up can be allowed.

So...Yes, I would say this is perfectly acceptable.
    Just ran the battery down to start retraining battery for WebOS 1.2, so not entirely "scientific" compared to before. 8 minutes, showed 4% when I checked it. I was watching TV, so by the time I saw it booted up, the screen was already off. May have been around 3% when it actually booted.

EDIT: Wall charger, plugged into wall obviously.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123