1.    #1  
    This may or may not be news to some of you, but it turns out that hotmail is a tremendous battery sucker. When I still had hotmail syncing to my pre I was losing between 11-13% battery per hour (via battery monitor homebrew app) and that was sitting basically idle with almost no use while sitting in my office with really bad cell and pulling emails from my hotmail every 6 hours. Last night I moved my hotmail account into my gmail and deleted the hotmail account from my phone (piece of advice, delete or manage your hotmail account before pulling it in or you will end up with all of them showing up as new in your phone, turning it into a dying sun in your pocket). Today the battery monitor is reading between 6-7% drain per hour at basically idle. While that still isn't that great of battery life it is a huge gain, and I really didn't have to get rid of the account it is just combined with my gmail. Now I just need to convince Sprint to put a tower outside of my office window and I will be right as rain.
    I dont see how hotmail could be more of a drain that Gmail or exchange... more than likely you had the email check set too aggressively for your poor reception work area and combined it just toasted the battery
  3.    #3  
    I had the hotmail account set to check every 6 hours, so this wasn't the case and gmail is set to check "as items arrive." The poor reception does of course have a part in battery life but that hasn't changed from yesterday to today. Considering none of the other variables have changed aside from the elimination of hotmail, that only checked every 6 hours, I would say that does have a serious effect on battery life whether or not this coupled with poor reception exaggerates the drain is another story.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupul0us View Post
    I dont see how hotmail could be more of a drain that Gmail or exchange... more than likely you had the email check set too aggressively for your poor reception work area and combined it just toasted the battery
    +1

Checking email every 6 hours isn't going to have that much of a difference. Chances are the reception was off that day.

I've had days where I can go 8 hours and lose 25%, and days where I can go 8 hours and lose 75%, with no changes at all. I think reception has alot to do with it.
    I still use hotmail as my primary account on my desktop. Too many people know this address to give it up. But I set up a gmail account and automatically send a copy of all hotmail messages to the gmail account. I have the gmail account set up on the Pre to push as received.

I believe that I read somewhere early on that the hotmail battery problem was a known issue. I'm pretty sure that Palm is aware of it.
    Josh set your reception to hybrid rev O and enable data roaming.. I am in a weak signal area and this works for me.. I get twitter updates and email as receive and lose 50% battery in a full day.. I have no problem with uesing the internet.. It isn't 3 g speeds but it is close.. Your indicator will say Ev R with 3 or more bars.. Indoors and out.
    For me it wasn't Hotmail itself but the Hotmail contacts. When you add Hotmail into your e-mail the Pre automatically adds the Hotmail contacts. With Hotmail contacts my Pre wouldn't last a work day without dropping below 20% battery and that was with Hotmail set to sync every 6 hours. I don't keep any contacts in Hotmail so I removed the Hotmail contacts and to my surprise, I started making it through the work day with 40 to 50% battery left. I realize this is anecdotal so YMMV.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    For me it wasn't Hotmail itself but the Hotmail contacts. When you add Hotmail into your e-mail the Pre automatically adds the Hotmail contacts. With Hotmail contacts my Pre wouldn't last a work day without dropping below 20% battery and that was with Hotmail set to sync every 6 hours. I don't keep any contacts in Hotmail so I removed the Hotmail contacts and to my surprise, I started making it through the work day with 40 to 50% battery left. I realize this is anecdotal so YMMV.
    I concur with this as well, I experienced very similar results with the hotmail contacts enabled.
    Motorola StarTAC-->Cassiopia E100 + Motorola i90-->Motorola i95-->Blackberry 7520-->Palm Treo 650-->HTC 6700(Apache)--> HTC 6800(Mogul)-->HTC 6850 (Touch Pro)-->Palm Pre
  9.    #9  
    Maybe it was the contacts, but I have to tell you simply setting my hotmail to push through gmail has made it so that my pre doesnt have to live between two touchstones. And thanks empty pockets for the advice I have actually been keeping my phone on those settings and it has made a difference.