Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this was discussed at great length before the Pre came out, but I can't seem to recall any discussion of it since. Is there a chance that Palm could unlock the use of voice and data concurrently? I find myself doing lots of multitasking these days with my Pre, but stuff like Nav and web browsing can't be used when I'm talking oni the phone. That personally drives me nuts. I seem to recall that this revision of Evdo was supposed to support voice/data together, but if thats true, it makes no sense why palm/sprint would not allow it. Any news on that that I'm missing? thanks.
    no Im pretty sure EVDO system cant run voice and data at the same time... as far as I know...
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    I find myself doing lots of multitasking these days with my Pre, but stuff like Nav and web browsing can't be used when I'm talking oni the phone. That personally drives me nuts.
    Well that's just generally the downside to GPS solutions like TeleNav that use data. If TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot or Navigon existed for WebOS this wouldn't be a big deal.
    As of now, Sprint's EVDO does not do simultaneous voice and data. This has nothing to do with the Pre specifically. I get the feeling that future devices with WIMAX might solve that problem.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Yea when sprint implements WIMAX or LTE which ever one it decides to pick it will be able to handle this. EVDO is capable but doesn't work now for voice quality sake.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Another poster (don't remember who) said that EVDO itself is not capable of voice and data at the same time, but EVDV is. Though Sprint is currently only setup for EVDO.

EV-DV can also support concurrent operation of legacy 1x voice users, 1x data users, and high speed EV-DV data users within the same radio channel.
    quoted from Wikipedia
    Does voice and data work concurrently if I use wi-fi?

Kathryn
  7.    #7  
    Thanks everyone. Yes I believe voice works concurrently with wifi. It's weird, but I thought the latest revision of evdo had the capability for both at the same time. If sprint upgraded to EVDV would the Pre have the capability to use it or would that need new hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post

Kathryn
    Yup. I've done it a couple times. Also, if I tried to use data while on a call and didn't have WiFi on, it told me to turn it on if I wanted to use data.

CS
    Quote Originally Posted by McKathryn View Post

Kathryn
    Quote Originally Posted by insane42 View Post
    Yup. I've done it a couple times. Also, if I tried to use data while on a call and didn't have WiFi on, it told me to turn it on if I wanted to use data.

CS
    What Insane said. The basic reason is they are using different radios.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    SPRINT EVDO will not do voice and data simultaneously.
    EVDO technology might be capable of doing that , but SPRINT is not allowing.
    I tried this on WinMos and BBs.
    Its frustrating , specially when you have to look up something on the internet during a phone call.

GSM can do that , I have seen ATT's phone doing that ( I tried that on iPhone).
  11.    #11  
    I wonder if it would help to send a letter to Sprint and complain. If evdo technology could theoretically allow voice and data together, maybe they could enable it soon. Would suck to have to wait for 4G for that.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Its a limitation of the current CDMA technology. Neither Sprint nor Verizon can do simultaneous voice and data (unless using wifi).
    An old precentral article. I have heard they CAN do it but doesnt seem like they will.
    This is pretty much the way it's gonna be until 4G.

http://www.precentral.net/pre-cant-s...neously-sprint

"As great, grand, and glorious as the Palm Pre will be, those using the Sprint version will find that their Pre has an Achilles Heel. Pam Deziel, Palm's vice president of software product management, confirmed at Mobile World Congress on Tuesday that the U.S. Sprint version of the Pre won't be able to surf the Internet and engage a call at the same time. Bummer!"
    EVDO spec does not support simultaneous voice and data. EVDV did- but EVDV is dead- abandoned by all the major carriers in favor of lte/wimax. The reasoning behind this is voip. There is no need for separate voice and data signaling. Voip allows for a single stream that supports all functions. Just like you can stream radio, surf the web and send email at the same time. VoIP lets voice just become another application. All that you need to ensure is that the end user device and network can tag and prioritize the voice packets and have a data connection that is low in latency, jitter and has the capacity to support the call. (not much bandwidth is required) 4g is capable of all this.
  15.    #15  
    Too bad 4G isn't expected to come to San Diego any time in the next year and a half or so.
    This is completely my fault but I just realized today that you can't have voice and data at same time. I'm really PO too because whats the point of a multi tasking phone that can't multi task voice and data? Now i can't schedule appointments or anything on my phone while I'm talking on it which defeats the whole purpose of having the phone with a data plan? This i my fault i should of research this before my 30 days were up now I don't what I'll do I guess I'm stuck getting a second phone now. To make things worse the iPhone supports voice and data at the dame time. This is a HUGE problem and would of been a deal breaker for me.
    With all due respect your post makes no sense.

First of all- you can absolutely access the calender while making a call. All it really means is that you can't stream, download/send email or browse the Internet while on the phone unless you have access to wifi.

In addition- how big of a deal could this be for you if you have had the phone over 30 days and are just realizing this? It is not like on the second day you tried to do this and realized you couldent.

I dont see how you can use a phone for 30 days and then find a "deal breaker" that was there all along.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Anderson View Post
    In addition- how big of a deal could this be for you if you have had the phone over 30 days and are just realizing this? It is not like on the second day you tried to do this and realized you couldent.
    LoL, that's exactly what I was gonna say. I really would love having voice and data at the same time, and yes, its annoying sometimes, but deal breaker is pretty harsh. I'd take real multitasking and a MUCH cheaper Sprint plan over voice/data concurrently any day!
    Last edited by schnoid; 09/24/2009 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mooney101 View Post
    Now i can't schedule appointments or anything on my phone while I'm talking on it which defeats the whole purpose of having the phone with a data plan? This i my fault i should of research this before my 30 days were up now I don't what I'll do I guess I'm stuck getting a second phone now. To make things worse the iPhone supports voice and data at the dame time. This is a HUGE problem and would of been a deal breaker for me.
    If you never found the requirement to use simultaneous voice and data one time in the first 30 days, how often do you think you're really going to use it from now on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    If you never found the requirement to use simultaneous voice and data one time in the first 30 days, how often do you think you're really going to use it from now on?
    I did not realize you could still use google calenders and email still, so that makes it not so bad. As to why it matters now I'm starting a new business and need to be on the go so I bought a bluetooth headset. I love the headset but went to test using a web browser while talking and was shocked it wouldn't work. With the google calendars it might be enough to allow me to work around it. But i still wont able to connect to a online customer database while talking because i wont have data service. I might have to just get a second phone.

Again its my fault I should of checked on this before the 30 days were up but it wasn't a needed thing at the time but its starting to become a problem now because now i need the feature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast