Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    This is one of the great disadvantages to CDMA. It just doesn't have enough bandwidth for Voice and Data.
    The GSM/UMTS version should be easily able to run both at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by smnc View Post
    This is one of the great disadvantages to CDMA. It just doesn't have enough bandwidth for Voice and Data.
    The GSM/UMTS version should be easily able to run both at once.
    More like, it helps to have two radios. The work-around is too implement voice traffic through VoIP but Sprint/Verizon weren't going to do that just so we could get access to data. Granted, I do miss the multi-tasking in the sense that I could surf the net and talk at the same time, but I don't do it enough to really care. At least I don't get bad signal/dropped calls anymore(AT&T in my particular area isn't that great)
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beret9987 View Post
    More like, it helps to have two radios. The work-around is too implement voice traffic through VoIP but Sprint/Verizon weren't going to do that just so we could get access to data. Granted, I do miss the multi-tasking in the sense that I could surf the net and talk at the same time, but I don't do it enough to really care. At least I don't get bad signal/dropped calls anymore(AT&T in my particular area isn't that great)
    Fair enough. Where I live in Canada, my CDMA coverage is almost NIL, but I get great GSM coverage!
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Would suck to have to wait for 4G for that.
    I thought sprint had the first ever 4g network as their commercial states.

So just to make sure, not being able to tald ans suft has nothing to do with my little Pre, its simply a sprint problem!?

I thought I was going to have to get a different phone
    They are deploying 4g but it is very early on.

It is not a sprint problem really- it is a limitation of 1xEVDO network. Same is true for Verizon.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    LTE and WiMAX will fix this, as they are both IP networks. Voice will go out as VoIP, probably with some QoS thrown in. In the case of LTE, its being rolled out as a flat, IPv6 network.

Sprint's WiMAX is pretty limited right now. But, their equipment could be upgraded to LTE rather easily (software radios), so I don't see them staying on WiMAX much considering the rest of the world is going LTE. Verizon and AT&T both have a chunk of the mythical 700MHz band (where UHF analog TV currently sits), which will have great building penetration. Sprint will be up in the 2.5GHz band.

As others have said, though, both LTE and WiMAX are years away from any significant coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12