Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I took my Pre to Sprint today because I have several issues with my phone, random shut offs (I know it can be fixed with a wedge of paper in the battery), randomly getting stuck in headphone mode, a crack by the charging port extending to the edge of the screen, and the "oreo effect".

I should have known better but I took the phone in with several mods on it and a bunch of homebrew apps. The rep said that I had voided my warranty by modding the phone. I told him that was bull**** and he said that I should restore the phone to stock and bring it to another store since they hadn't entered the phone into the system.

So it is BS right? Modding the software on the phone does not void the warranty? Palm encourages homebrew apps so I don't see how this can be true.

I don't know if I'll have any luck getting a refurb unit at another store but I'll restore and give it a shot.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    that sucks if true... Keep us updated
    I don't see why the rep would lie to you if he didn't put any notes on your account.
  4.    #4  
    I am restoring via WebOSDoctor right now and I'll see what they say tomorrow when I take it to the store. I love WebOS as an OS but the phone/hardware side of things is really starting to get on my nerves. Biggest irritation - I hate how I have to turn down the alert volume every time I use a headset to talk (which is 75% of the time) or risk having my eardrums ruptured if I get a text while in a conversation. If I don't remember to turn it back up then I won't wake up to my alarm or hear texts and emails if the

If the new Instinct HD has a capacitive screen I am going to switch...sorry Palm. I'll post my experience after my visit tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Sorry to break it to you all, but yes, doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty. Any time you do mods and end up having to take it back for whatever reason, restore it to factory defaults.
    The Sprint rep is nuts. Now if you duct taped a video camera to your phone, and gave it GI Joe legs, I could see that voiding your warranty.

Palm provided the WebOs Doctor because they knew that this was going to happen. No other company makes it this easy.
    Personally I think that sucks but from previous experience with things like that I always bring my phone to stock before going to the store. I even put the stock wallpaper just to avoid any questions. now that's only if I am asking for a replacement or have a network problem. I do understand where they are coming from though.

Lets say I put the hack for roam only and I want to get my phone replaced...I walk into sprint and say my phone only stays in roaming only for days at a time. I could get my phone replaced for a bad radio. The only way they could catch me is if they did a hard reset. These little tricks would easly work and sprint loses money this way. I know its not a huge thing to replace a phone but sprint does have to pay to ship refurbs coming and going...

I have a warranty on my car and if I change my headlights to high intensity bulbs. If anything electronic happens relating to the engine compartment...nissan could easily void my electrical part of my warranty. back to my point though, palm lets us do homebrew but that doesn't mean they necessarily want us to. That's why they have their kill switch. Its used for more than this purpose but if they wanted to they could stop it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Sorry to break it to you all, but yes, doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty.
    no, it actually doesn't. this is almost never the case with *any* product.
    You are making software changes -- not internal hardware changes. This is similar to HP telling me I can't change my laptops operating system or Palm telling me I can't add new software to my Windows Mobile phone without voiding the warranty.

He has no idea what he is talking about. Assuming you just installed homebrew apps via the supported methods provided by Palm, I don't think he stands a chance.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    no, it actually doesn't. this is almost never the case with *any* product.
    Um, actually it does. This is the case with *all* cell phone warranties. If, for example, you walked into a store to exchange your phone and happen to have WebOS 1.2 installed on it, your warranty is voided, and they don't have to exchange the device.

Installed the Virtual Keyboard? Warranty voided. Enabled forwarding of txts? Voided. Added pages for icons? Voided.

But you can go ahead and continue to give false information if you want.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    He has no idea what he is talking about. Assuming you just installed homebrew apps via the supported methods provided by Palm, I don't think he stands a chance.
    The OP also mentioned "mods" to the phone. Most of the mods available via WebOSQuickInstall will technically void the warranty.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for the input. What you said makes sense. I actually had an instance with Verizon where my phone had a software glitch kind of like what you mentioned about roaming (not caused by me) where they had to replace my phone.

It's back to stock and I'll see if they will give me a refub unit. From browsing the boards, it looks like people have varied success with these same issues.
    web doctor it and bring it back
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Eh at my store we would inform you that we dont cover 3rd party stuff but we would take the time to hard reset it for you.
  15. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    The OP also mentioned "mods" to the phone. Most of the mods available via WebOSQuickInstall will technically void the warranty.
    Uhm, not according to the limited warranty leaflet that was included in the box of my Pre that I'm currently reading.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Uhm, not according to the limited warranty leaflet that was included in the box of my Pre that I'm currently reading.
    *sigh*

then go ahead and put a bunch of crap on your phone and try to exchange it. See what happens.
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    *sigh*

then go ahead and put a bunch of crap on your phone and try to exchange it. See what happens.
    Okay, what does your warranty say?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Okay, what does your warranty say?
    I'll start off by saying that the burden of proof lies on you here, but whatever.

My warranty stats in the most basic terms that if you mess with your phone and something happens to it and you want to get it exchanged, you can't do because you voided your warranty by messin with it and that may be causing the problem. Whether or not it did is not an issue, but you have things on your phone that are not supposed to be there, and I will therefore say no replacement for your because you modified the device. The language outlining this is in the first line as well as line 4.

There is actually more fully detailed literature on this, but I'm sure you can find it yourself.

Here's the bottom line. You can say as much as you want that it shouldn't void your warranty, and you can say all you want "hey, don't listen to crazy ol' pathymo! He don't know squat!". But it still won't make you right. The fact of the matter is that if you modify your device in any way (be it hardware or software), you have technically voided your warranty, and you may not be issued a replacement device.

But because there are people out there like YOU who don't actually research this stuff and say "Well mine says this so hahahaha what does yours say?????", there will always be misinformation and stupidity will continue to reign far and wide.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have exchanged my phone 5 times with homebrew apps and added launcher pages, virtual keyboard, etc on board...they never said anything at all. Maybe there are just chill people working at my sprint store.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtg755 View Post
    I have exchanged my phone 5 times with homebrew apps and added launcher pages, virtual keyboard, etc on board...they never said anything at all. Maybe there are just chill people working at my sprint store.
    Yes, this is quite possible, and would probably happen more with this device than with, say, a blackberry.

However, this should not insinuate that the warranty wasn't technically voided. Sometimes things not caught at stores ARE caught at the factory, and you could be charged after the fact. Not saying you WILL, but its always a possibility.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast