Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Yes, this is quite possible, and would probably happen more with this device than with, say, a blackberry.

However, this should not insinuate that the warranty wasn't technically voided. Sometimes things not caught at stores ARE caught at the factory, and you could be charged after the fact. Not saying you WILL, but its always a possibility.
    Have made two Pre swaps (one for accidental damage, the other for a loose battery compartment causing shutdowns opening/closing the slider) via Asurion, both decently modded at the time, with no issues post-swap.

I really think the warranty voiding is only going to be looked at if the issue is software related. If you, somehow (since the WOSI team hasn't even found a way to do so yet), found a way to permanently fry the chips inside your Pre while playing around with the Linux subsystem, that would obviously be subject to a voided warranty in an ideal world. However, since almost every single possible software-based issue can be fixed with a run by the webOS Doctor, if they claim that mods void your warranty without running the Doctor, they are absolutely lazy and poorly trained.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Oh my freakin God, you people are nuts.... If you'd really read what I said earlier, you would note that I am not talking about homebrew apps.

I urge you to install WebOS 1.2, take your phone into a store and complain about it not working properly, and see what happens. This would be an example of a "tweak" that would void your warranty. Its the same if you upload a leaked OS to a blackberry, or mess around with hybrid files.

But whatev. In the words of Barney Frank, arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table.
    Umm.... you are the one arguing dude... just stop posting here... I find it sad that actually feel a need to respond to all these people... just move on dude... who really cares....
    Modifications like homebrew will technically void your warranty. Will most reps care? Probably not, the majority of us play with our phones anyway. Could you have gotten a person who doesn't care and is going by the book? Yes, quite possibly, and likely.

Worst case you Doctor it and go back. It's not that difficult, this has been discussed numerous times in the past over at places like xda-developers for Windows Mobile devices and customer ROMs. Homebrew patches and such aren't much different. The first thing a rep will want to do if he can't fix an issue is to set it back to defaults to see if anything that happened from it coming out of the box could have caused the issue. Adding in homebrew and unauthorized patches just adds an entirely new dimension on trying to fix the issue.

It could be that the tech realizes how much more work he would have to do to figure out if it is really the device having issues or not, and due to the unauthorized patches and changes, can refuse to look at the device. The fact that he isn't entering it in the system to be honest means he doesn't care that you have homebrew so much as he is saying that I won't work on it like that since I can't say whether the issue is the phone, or the patches causing the issue.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    Personally I think that sucks but from previous experience with things like that I always bring my phone to stock before going to the store. I even put the stock wallpaper just to avoid any questions. now that's only if I am asking for a replacement or have a network problem. I do understand where they are coming from though.

Lets say I put the hack for roam only and I want to get my phone replaced...I walk into sprint and say my phone only stays in roaming only for days at a time. I could get my phone replaced for a bad radio. The only way they could catch me is if they did a hard reset. These little tricks would easly work and sprint loses money this way. I know its not a huge thing to replace a phone but sprint does have to pay to ship refurbs coming and going...

I have a warranty on my car and if I change my headlights to high intensity bulbs. If anything electronic happens relating to the engine compartment...nissan could easily void my electrical part of my warranty. back to my point though, palm lets us do homebrew but that doesn't mean they necessarily want us to. That's why they have their kill switch. Its used for more than this purpose but if they wanted to they could stop it.
    Thats the problem you drive a import
    Quote Originally Posted by halcyoncmdr View Post
    Modifications like homebrew will technically void your warranty.
    holy sweet merciful lord jesus christ. would somebody that claims that modifications voids the warranty PLEASE read the text of the FEDERAL LAW that i linked to and posted exerpts of, and please EXPLAIN to me WHY you think that the FEDERAL LAW which disallows a warrantor to disclaim a implied warranty, and puts the BURDEN OF PROOF on the WARRANTOR to prove damage by the consumer to deny a claim, somehow does not apply to the pre (even though it applies to 'consumer products')?

(and no, pointing to random internet postings with the same claim does not count. there are just as many postings claiming otherwise. so let's stick with FACTS.)

for reference (again):
    15 USC CHAPTER 50 - CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES
    http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

...so much as he is saying that I won't work on it like that since I can't say whether the issue is the phone, or the patches causing the issue.
    the law says the warrantor has the burden of proof when denying a warranty claim, so if they "can't say whether the issue is the phone, or the patches causing the issue," IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
    ooooooohkay people...

ANY mod of ANY kind gives grounds to 'void' a warranty. You can argue that what you did is not what caused the problem all day long. There may not be specific language, but here's the truth:

If a salesperson is being asked to reduce the number of come-backs, returns, etc - or he just doesnt like your shirt/shoes/haircut, or he had a bad lunch break, or you smell funny, or look like a guy he hates. Guess what? He will make life hell for you with any excuse he can.

"its modded, i cant take it back"
    "we dont swap anything if it has unsupported software on it"
    "you broke it, moron"
    "I am the sprint counter God, and your battery issue is because you tethered your phone!"

It doesnt matter how unreasonable the excuse, they can make it. Now, give the guy/gal a break. If you get this, just politely and calmly explain that you really need your phone, and cant do without it. The issues are making you question keeping your service, something like:
    "this issue cause me to miss an important call. These guys finally cut me the PO on this million dollar gig, and ya know... as much as I hated verizon, at least I got my calls - dont make me go back to those *****s, the prices were horrible". He now is facing a customer that might just walk on his contract - far worse than a return. If they dont budge, ask for a manager, or of <insert random name> still manages this store (its a stretch, but has worked for me at non-franchise stores). Explain to them your dilemma. Add that 'you and I both know the rules, but we know the oreo effect isnt caused by a virtual keyboard. Could you guys do a hard reset on it before shipping it back, but get me a replacement? I have to <be somewhere> <go somewhere> and need the help now. What if I bought a headset? battery?" etc.. Play the game and you can get the help you need.

The issue is NOT whether the warranty is void, because I doubt anyone is going to take the effort to get your details if they're not going to swap the phone - people are lazy. The 'voided' warranty thing is usually an extension of that. So technically, yes, any 'out of bounds' soft/hardware can let them claim that. Its just not the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    holy sweet merciful lord jesus christ. would somebody that claims that modifications voids the warranty PLEASE read the text of the FEDERAL LAW that i linked to and posted exerpts of, and please EXPLAIN to me WHY you think that the FEDERAL LAW which disallows a warrantor to disclaim a implied warranty, and puts the BURDEN OF PROOF on the WARRANTOR to prove damage by the consumer to deny a claim, somehow does not apply to the pre (even though it applies to 'consumer products')?

(and no, pointing to random internet postings with the same claim does not count. there are just as many postings claiming otherwise. so let's stick with FACTS.)

for reference (again):
    15 USC CHAPTER 50 - CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES
    http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

the law says the warrantor has the burden of proof when denying a warranty claim, so if they "can't say whether the issue is the phone, or the patches causing the issue," IT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.
    I put a turbo on my natrually aspirated honda and it blew up. Honda: can you replace my motor?

Modifications can void a warranty and the 'burden of proof' only goes so deep as to the system affected. If you walk in and your email sync doesn't work, and you have homebrews - they will likely be legit in denying a claim.

If you walk in with oreo problems and have a virtual keyboard - they cannot deny. They can get stubborn, but see my above post.

Sales people rarely know what does and does not void a warranty, or care, or want to care. They want their days to go well, and their numbers to look good. END OF STORY.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    A...It doesnt matter how unreasonable the excuse, they can make it.
    what you're describing has nothing to do with mods and whether it invalidates a warranty. what you're describing is poor customer service reps. yes, that's always an issue, and nobody is denying that- but if you KNOW YOUR RIGHTS (like mods don't invalidate your warranty), you know when to push back. BAD INFORMATION (like that by pathymo and others claiming that mods void your warranty) lead people to roll over and go, 'gosh darnit, i really did it to myself. guess there's nothing i can do other than pay full price for a new one."

...Add that 'you and I both know the rules, but we know the oreo effect isnt caused by a virtual keyboard. Could you guys do a hard reset on it before shipping it back, but get me a replacement? I have to <be somewhere> <go somewhere> and need the help now. What if I bought a headset? battery?" etc.. Play the game and you can get the help you need.
    agreed on being polite. but difference is, you'd apparently pretend that the warranty was void and spend extra money on a headset and/or battery to get them to uphold the warranty? i wouldn't. i'd bring in the text of the law if i had to and show them that it's their responsibility as the warrantor to show the modifications caused my problems before they could deny my claims (especially for something like homebrews as the mods, and oreo as the problem).

The issue is NOT whether the warranty is void, because I doubt anyone is going to take the effort to get your details if they're not going to swap the phone - people are lazy. The 'voided' warranty thing is usually an extension of that. So technically, yes, any 'out of bounds' soft/hardware can let them claim that. Its just not the issue.
    and apparently you'd bribe them to honor the warranty. i absolutely would not.
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    I put a turbo on my natrually aspirated honda and it blew up. Honda: can you replace my motor?
    haha, that's actually how i know all about (and why in initially read the full text of) the magnuson moss act! i had a friend w/ a civic that had a turbo- he threw a rod (which is pretty crazy- left a hole in the block; i'd never seen anything like that- pretty neat actually!) in it while cruising on the highway, not on boost. honda initially denied a warranty claim because of the turbo, but after some discussions w/ the gm on what actually caused the problem (they said didn't know the *specific* problem initially), they did a teardown of the engine. ended up diagnosing a bad oil pump, and covered the engine under warranty.

Sales people rarely know what does and does not void a warranty, or care, or want to care. They want their days to go well, and their numbers to look good. END OF STORY.
    bingo. that's why you have to know your rights, and not accept random people (on the internet, or in the stores) telling you that your warranty is voided if you do any mods. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post

You are, of course, absolutely right. But the internet age seems to have spawned a society that would prefer to believe rumor and innuendo posted on the internet than to actually make an effort to learn the facts.

There's no doubt in my mind the Sprint will TRY to deny warranty coverage to save a few bucks, but they have no legal authority to do so, and if you push the issue up the chain of command, (and cite the law), they'll back down. If they don't, report them to the FCC and threaten them with a lawsuit.

Even if the turbo DOES cause the engine to blow up, in only invalidates the warranty on the engine. If you add a turbo, and your gas tank starts to leak, the brakes fail, the radio stops working, and the sunroof won't open, all those other things are still covered.

The manufacturer needs to PROVE that your mods caused the problem to occur. If they can prove a link between the turbo and radio, then you're out of luck, but otherwise they're still on the hook.

As poundsand suggests, read the law before you start arguing about it.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 09/25/2009 at 09:48 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    if i have the insurance on the phone they will still fix it even if my warranty is voided right?
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    One thing to keep in mind is that overclocking WILL void the warranty, even if most other "mods" will not. The reason is that overclocking will cause the device to get a bit warmer, which in turn can cause other physical problems with the screen or other components.
    I almost did the same thing 2 weeks ago! If it weren't for the store rep saying they needed the phone for 2 hours to test it, I would have probably gone through a similar situation as you! It was 6PM and they closed at 7PM. So, with that being said, I proceeded to Doctor my Pre anyway when I got home. I didn't Doctor my Pre for almost a year, and with all of patches I installed and removed along the way, I thought maybe the problems I were experiencing were due to all of the mods.

Anyway, after Doctoring, the Pre ran much better, but my problem with the volume Rocker still exists. I will be taking my phone back to the repair store this weekend and have the phone at stock condition and get the dang thang fixed. Oh, and thanks to xan-someone and jason robateille for allowing a patch the gives media volume in the top menu bar. Without it, I would have been hosed.

So, thanks for the heads-up on the warranty issue.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 05/26/2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Keeping it family friendly
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567