Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    it's funny that people are claiming that mods aren't hurting their devices yet they are their "#" pre cause they having issue's such as slow phone or phone doesn't respond. Just letting you guys sprint is getting really strict on device warranty exchange. In our store, if we cannot replicate the problem or if we solve a issue with a reset, we will NOT exchange the device. Alot of places do have techs that aren't trained properly and don't know what to look for. I've sent two customer away recently because of having mods not approved through sprint such as a WinMo running 6.5, as the phone was not intended to have it. So if i see you have VK or other mods/patches that change the OS in any way, we will not honor it. Homebrew does not affect the OS but some apps d/l from it may.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Is that REALLY what this has been about? You taking my comment out of context, and implying that I meant any kind of modification whatsoever, as opposed to what I actually meant by mods as in hacks and tweaks? Even though in EVERY POST I MADE, I was quite specific and gave specific examples of what I was talking about?
    even hacks and tweaks, by themselves, don't void warranty.

Also, in regards to other mods with other devices I mentioned, I actually never said that they did anything to harm the device. Whether or not it harms the phone, updating to an unofficial OS to a blackberry voids the warranty. Jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone, whether or not it harms your phone, voids the warranty.
    yes, you keep saying that- what's your support? i pointed you to a federal law about not being able to disclaim a implied warranty- you have what? something specific, not simply a claim. and if we want to go w/ simple claims, there are several people here on this board who have told you that they've had warranty replacements, even when sprint knows about mods & hacks.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    even hacks and tweaks, by themselves, don't void warranty.

yes, you keep saying that- what's your support? i pointed you to a federal law about not being able to disclaim a implied warranty- you have what? something specific, not simply a claim. and if we want to go w/ simple claims, there are several people here on this board who have told you that they've had warranty replacements, even when sprint knows about mods & hacks.

iPhone jailbreaking breaks the law, voids warranty says Apple | GadgetLite - Latest gadgets and technology news
    Third party apps on iPhone void warranty | Libervis.com
    iPhone hacks void warranty, Apple says | Networking - InfoWorld

http://www.berryreview.com/2009/08/2...or-storm-9530/ (in the comments section, someone who has a clue and knows doing things like this voids the warranty)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/best-stable-os-310534/
    Another BlackBerry Storm OS 4.7.0.90 Update Upgrade Leaked - WIRELESS AND MOBILE NEWS

You should read the two posts above as well.
    yup, apple says that jailbreaking the iphone voids the warranty (and breaks the law too!). they also said steve jobs was suffering from a minor nutritional problem (turns out he needed a liver transplant if you didn't know).

Leaked OS 5.0.0.154 for Storm 9530 | BerryReview.com
    (in the comments section, someone who has a clue and knows doing things like this voids the warranty)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/best-stable-os-310534/
    these random claims is no better than your random claim.

"it CAN void your warranty." i agree- if it actually breaks something.

You should read the two posts above as well.
    read it- no support.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    the PALM WARRANTY!!
    read number 2

EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does NOT apply (1) to damage to the
    surface of the product, including cracks or scratches on the LCD
    touchscreen or outside casing; (2) to damage caused by misuse,
    neglect, improper installation, storage or testing, unauthorized
    attempts to open, repair, or modify the product, or any other cause
    beyond the range of the intended use; (3) to damage caused by
    accident, fire, dirt, sand, moisture or liquids, power changes, other
    hazards, or acts of God; (4) to damage caused by use of the product
    with any non-Palm device or service if such device or service causes
    the problem; or (5) if any Palm serial number has been removed,
    defaced or altered.
    Any other third party products, including software, included with
    Palm products are not covered by this Palm warranty and Palm
    makes no representations or warranties on behalf of such third
    parties. Any warranty on such products is from the supplier or
    licensor of the product.

Source PALM.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    yup, apple says that jailbreaking the iphone voids the warranty (and breaks the law too!). they also said steve jobs was suffering from a minor nutritional problem (turns out he needed a liver transplant if you didn't know).

these random claims is no better than your random claim.

"it CAN void your warranty." i agree- if it actually breaks something.

read it- no support.
    Wow... you are really delusional. I supply documentation of an actual CELL PHONE MANUFACTURER stating that hacking your phone voids its warranty, and you come back with Steve Jobs and his health problems.

I provide other people stating doing such things will void the warranty, and you can actually find many MANY more. And yet.... everyone is wrong....because you have a paragraph of "warranty law" that you think explains everything...

Here's another one that states flashing a new ROM to the Touch Diamond/Pro will void the warranty:

The Touch Diamond/Pro Tips and Tricks Guide - Review

In many instances, of course you can restore your phone to factory defaults to make it look like you didn't do anything to your phone. But why bother, since what you did to it in the first place wouldn't void the warranty?

I used to be on Verizon, I have friends who work at Verizon, I am very familiar with their policies. If you walk into a Verizon store with a BlackBerry that has an unofficial OS on it, and you are saying the phone is having problems, they WILL NOT replace the device because the warranty is VOIDED, whether or not its the tweak that is causing the problem. It is not up to the phone company to prove anything. The burden of proof lies on the consumer.

Anyway, I've already supplied examples, links, other people saying the same thing I am saying, etc. So any time you want to go ahead and show a link from a phone company saying hacking or tweaking your phone WON'T void the warranty, please be my guest.
    I supply documentation of an actual CELL PHONE MANUFACTURER stating that hacking your phone voids its warranty, and you come back with Steve Jobs and his health problems.
    by "documentation," you really mean a press release, and the steve jobs point shows that you can't just go by what the company says in a press release.

I provide other people stating doing such things will void the warranty, and you can actually find many MANY more.
    yes, and MANY random people state the opposite.

And yet.... everyone is wrong....because you have a paragraph of "warranty law" that you think explains everything...
    weird how you'll take the position of random people on the internet, yet poo-poo a federal law!

[/quote]Here's another one that states flashing a new ROM to the Touch Diamond/Pro will void the warranty:

The Touch Diamond/Pro Tips and Tricks Guide - Review[/quote]

for the 8millionth time- random people's opinion doesn't trump federal law.

[/quote]I used to be on Verizon, I have friends who work at Verizon, I am very familiar with their policies. If you walk into a Verizon store with a BlackBerry that has an unofficial OS on it, and you are saying the phone is having problems, they WILL NOT replace the device because the warranty is VOIDED, whether or not its the tweak that is causing the problem. It is not up to the phone company to prove anything. The burden of proof lies on the consumer. [quote]

what burden of proof is there if the warranty is voided, whether the tweak causes the problem or not! by saying the burden of proof lies with the consumer, you are, in fact, saying the warranty is NOT voided (just that a company may (ILLEGALLY) attempt to deny you coverage)!

Anyway, I've already supplied examples, links, other people saying the same thing I am saying, etc.
    random people saying something is no support at all- you've got other people in this very thread saying the opposite.

So any time you want to go ahead and show a link from a phone company saying hacking or tweaking your phone WON'T void the warranty, please be my guest.
    companies, as a matter of policy, don't say everything that won't void warranties (if you think otherwise, i'd like you to come up with a paragraph from a phone company saying talking on the phone doesn't void its warranty. of course they don't do this!)- they say the opposite- what WILL void the warranty- and must, for it to be legal, say it in the text of the warranty.

and they will sometimes try to deny as much as they can get away with (which can be much more than what is legal- ESPECIALLY IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE LAW AND ROLLOVER WHEN THE DO THIS). see User denied iPhone warranty service for custom ringtone. you think just because the company says the warranty is invalid, they're off the hook?
    Last edited by PoundSand; 09/24/2009 at 12:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsoul View Post
    the PALM WARRANTY!!
    read number 2

EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does NOT apply (1) to damage to the
    surface of the product, including cracks or scratches on the LCD
    touchscreen or outside casing; (2) to damage caused by misuse,
    neglect, improper installation, storage or testing, unauthorized
    attempts to open, repair, or modify the product, or any other cause
    beyond the range of the intended use; (3) to damage caused by
    accident, fire, dirt, sand, moisture or liquids, power changes, other
    hazards, or acts of God; (4) to damage caused by use of the product
    with any non-Palm device or service if such device or service causes
    the problem; or (5) if any Palm serial number has been removed,
    defaced or altered.
    Any other third party products, including software, included with
    Palm products are not covered by this Palm warranty and Palm
    makes no representations or warranties on behalf of such third
    parties. Any warranty on such products is from the supplier or
    licensor of the product.

Source PALM.
    yup, and it says DAMAGE caused by modifications is not covered. exclusion 4 is also relevant. nothing that says modifications voids the warranty.
    yup, and it says DAMAGE caused by modifications is not covered. exclusion 4 is also relevant. nothing that says modifications voids the warranty.
    im not sure if your seeing what i'm seing but i clearly see:

EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does NOT apply.....(2) to damage caused by....unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify the product... Any other third party products, including software, included with Palm products are not covered by this Palm warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by mkv_wolf View Post
    im not sure if your seeing what i'm seing but i clearly see:

EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does NOT apply.....(2) to damage caused by....unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify the product... Any other third party products, including software, included with Palm products are not covered by this Palm warranty

yes, "...to damage caused by...unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify..."

not "does not apply if modified..." but DAMAGE CAUSED BY modifications...

HUGE difference.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    yes, "...to damage caused by...unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify..."

not "does not apply if modified..." but DAMAGE CAUSED BY modifications...

HUGE difference.
    And this is why it voids your warranty if you go into a store with problems and have modifications on your phone. You, as the customer, can't prove that it isn't the modifications that are causing the problem. And it is up to the customer to prove that (which is what I stated in my last post). This is not to say you won't have a rep that will give you a replacement, because plenty of people have. But that doesn't mean it does not technically void the warranty.

Aaaaaaand its bed time.
    And this is why it voids your warranty if you go into a store with problems and have modifications on your phone. You, as the customer, can't prove that it isn't the modifications that are causing the problem. And it is up to the customer to prove that (which is what I stated in my last post).
    again, incorrect. i'll point you to the same FEDERAL law i pointed to you before (since you apparently did not read it), which CLEARLY states that it is the WARRANTOR that has the burden of proof:

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

2304 (c) Waiver of standards
    The performance of the duties under subsection (a) of this
    section shall not be required of the warrantor if he can show that
    the defect, malfunction, or failure of any warranted consumer
    product to conform with a written warranty, was caused by damage
    (not resulting from defect or malfunction) while in the possession
    of the consumer, or unreasonable use (including failure to provide
    reasonable and necessary maintenance).

the fact that the warrantor is responsible for proving user fault is why, for example, there is a moisture strip in the phone.
    Last edited by PoundSand; 09/24/2009 at 01:02 AM.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    HEHE

PoundSand = 1

Pathymo = 0
    I'm still waiting for someone to post who has had their warranty voided for any reason. Not getting service from a specific Sprint store or tech support rep is not having your warranty voided.

I'd say more but PoundSand has just about said it all (not that it's ever going to matter for pathmyo... he's dug himself a hole to China at this point).
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emoney_33 View Post
    What are you talking about? I can erase my entire harddrive and still return the damn thing under warranty if it's a hardware or manufacturing issue. Did you really just suggest you can't take Windows off your computer?

Bottom line is you don't void hardware and manufacturer warranties by modifying software unless the software directly caused the problem. It's a damn shame that so many people are so willing to give up their freedoms when it comes to technology.
    you CAN take windows off the computer. thats DEFINITELY possible. but you just wont have the warranty from the manufacturer anymore.... you can't return it... because its not in the original state, its not defective MECHANICALLY. you screwed it up yourself and now it wont boot.. manufacturer fault? i think not. would u even TRY to return a computer if you got a virus on it and claim it was a defect? u might, but thats unethical and they have a right to refuse.

its ALL up to the person returning it, if they care that you have mods and deny you an exchange, tough luck. if they give you a new one, great! fantastic! enjoy your pre. dont ***** it up.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    you guys can argue ALL YOU WANT and take it to court even. but if you don't take it to court, its up to the manufacturer whether or not they will replace it for u. so i think you guys are just wasting time splitting hairs.. you guys aren't "PRE" lawyers... sprint can just say, "well we just don't want to do it for you. PERIOD" heres what you do next.... GO TO ANOTHER STORE!! and if they wont do it either.. GO TO ANOTHER STORE. and if they wont do it. GO TO ANOTHER STORE!!!!! and if you've run out of sprint stores. USE WEBOS DOCTOR!! and THEN return it!! aaahhhhhh!!!! is it THAT HARD?!?!
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy K View Post
    you guys can argue ALL YOU WANT and take it to court even. but if you don't take it to court, its up to the manufacturer whether or not they will replace it for u. so i think you guys are just wasting time splitting hairs.. you guys aren't "PRE" lawyers... sprint can just say, "well we just don't want to do it for you. PERIOD" heres what you do next.... GO TO ANOTHER STORE!! and if they wont do it either.. GO TO ANOTHER STORE. and if they wont do it. GO TO ANOTHER STORE!!!!! and if you've run out of sprint stores. USE WEBOS DOCTOR!! and THEN return it!! aaahhhhhh!!!! is it THAT HARD?!?!
    I love your written prose. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?
    lol, i went to get my pre replaced with a bunch of mods, leaked firmwares 1.2, left 4 dead theme and the guy didn't say anything.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy K View Post
    you CAN take windows off the computer. thats DEFINITELY possible. but you just wont have the warranty from the manufacturer anymore.... you can't return it... because its not in the original state, its not defective MECHANICALLY. you screwed it up yourself and now it wont boot.. manufacturer fault? i think not. would u even TRY to return a computer if you got a virus on it and claim it was a defect? u might, but thats unethical and they have a right to refuse.

its ALL up to the person returning it, if they care that you have mods and deny you an exchange, tough luck. if they give you a new one, great! fantastic! enjoy your pre. dont ***** it up.
    You are not even obligated to accept the Windows license when you purchase a new computer. Look, show me burden of proof and cool out.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I'd love to know why the few people in here think modding the pre voids the warranty. In reality we aren't modding the device since Palm basically gives us the tools to install homebrew. This device is a godsend for developers because they can actually test their own code on their platform physically instead of just on an emulator.

And this voids my warranty? Come on~ That would make Palm look worse than Apple. That would be like if Apple provided software to the public to jailbreak the iphone, but would sue everyone for using the software.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast