Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 133
  1. katsnuts's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #81  
    I was not going to get involved, <edit: personal attacks are not allowed>. You are freaking people out for no reason. If you mess up your hardware, you DOCTOR it. End of story. No Void, nothing, it just goes back to normal.

    If you decide to drill a hole in the Pre to make room for a nice homemade carrying strap, then it would be void. Or if you opened the phone and added a some extra/upgraded electronical components, it would be void.

    It is like an iPod. If you were to return it because the backlight was not working and there was ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED MUSIC on the device, they could care less, as long as it still works and you did not PHYSICALLY damage the iPod.

    You can add all you want to the device, hack the hell out of it, and you will have no problem as long as you DOCTOR it. Even without doctoring it, if the phone is working, and there is a manufacturing error, they have to honor the manufacturers warranty.

    The ONLY way this can be void is if you PHYSICALLY alter the phone or internals.

    Now stop with the scare tactics...hack away!
    Last edited by palandri; 09/23/2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: language
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy K View Post
    well technically.... the OP did admit that it was his hacks and mods screwing the phone up.... so what the law says does not apply to him.
    1- i didn't reply to the og poster, i responded to someone who claimed any mods voided the warranty. that's false, false, false.
    2- unless the op changed his post (and the forum doesn't show the post as having been edited), he doesn't admit anything of the sort. and some of the problems he mentions are certainly not related- the oreo effect for example.

    i think you should really read it before you start posting up "proof". the word "modification" is talking about the warranty. the WARRANTY cannot be modified.
    nobody said otherwise. the warranty can't be modified means that they can't disclaim the implied warranty- i.e. you can't simply say "no warranty! when there's a mod"- the mod has to be something that screwed up the phone to deny the warranty- and only that part of the warranty. i.e. a software mod would not (typically) affect a hardware warranty.

    also, the warranty is at the discretion of the company providing it.... so if a company sells a consumer product without warranty, it is required that they say NO WARRANTY! warranty is not a requirement to sell a consumer product.
    again, nobody said otherwise.
    Last edited by PoundSand; 09/23/2009 at 06:09 PM.
  3. #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Its nice that you TRY to sound smart, but you fail. No information you just quoted would provide protection to a consumer for ruining their device by installing modifications that shouldn't be there.
    i didn't say it provided such protection- i said it provides protection from the company voiding the warranty based on any mods, as you claimed. so if you want to be smart yourself, read what i wrote, and don't jump to any conclusions.

    You can try again if you'd like, or just concede to the fact that you are incorrect.
    no need to try again, as i did not claim what you said above.
  4. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post
    I was not going to get involved, <personal attacks are not allowed> You are freaking people out for no reason. If you mess up your hardware, you DOCTOR it. End of story. No Void, nothing, it just goes back to normal.

    If you decide to drill a hole in the Pre to make room for a nice homemade carrying strap, then it would be void. Or if you opened the phone and added a some extra/upgraded electronical components, it would be void.

    It is like an iPod. If you were to return it because the backlight was not working and there was ILLEGALLY DOWNLOADED MUSIC on the device, they could care less, as long as it still works and you did not PHYSICALLY damage the iPod.

    You can add all you want to the device, hack the hell out of it, and you will have no problem as long as you DOCTOR it. Even without doctoring it, if the phone is working, and there is a manufacturing error, they have to honor the manufacturers warranty.

    The ONLY way this can be void is if you PHYSICALLY alter the phone or internals.

    Now stop with the scare tactics...hack away!
    Still waiting for someone to say I "scared" them....

    And since when was I trying to SCARE anyone? Are you serious? I'm just supplying the facts. I don't care what people do with their phones.

    I'm sure you probably meant to say "software", and not "hardware". Silly. But warranties are not for hardware only. I'm not sure why everyone thinks you can do anything you want to your phone software wise and it won't matter. Maybe its because of the WebOS Doctor. While the WebOS Doctor is nice and will make it look like you didn't do anything to your phone, the fact remains that messing with the software would void your warranty.

    If you rob a bank, and don't get caught, does that mean its not illegal? If you decide you have a severe "oreo twist" but Sprint doesn't agree with you and won't replace it, and you decide to put in an insurance claim saying you lost the phone, is it not insurance fraud if the insurance company doesn't find out?

    And its funny you use an Apple product as an example, considering the iPhone's warranty is voided if you hack the phone.

    I really don't know how this is so shocking to people either.... has no one ever owned a blackberry? Its the same thing.... install an unofficial OS on it, and the warranty is voided.

    Y'all can call me an ***** all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I am correct. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, I really couldn't care any less. The OP asked a question, and I answered it correctly. You can kick, scream, fight, argue, whatever you want.... you'll still be wrong.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It's the same way with cars. Modifications will not void your warranty unless they can prove that the modification caused the problem.
    yup, and the same law covers that.

    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    ... However, if there is a good chance that the mod caused an issue, then it seems that you could be in trouble.

    Here's proof that software can damage hardware: let's say you recompile the Linux kernel to allow CPU speeds of 1GHz. You then run your awesome machine but notice it starts to get uncomfortably warm and finally it totally poops out on you. It won't turn on, and the Dr won't do anything for you. The Pre may have a chip that is capable of running at 1GHz, but it may not have the thermal capacity to deal with the resultant heat. So the CPU is fried. Software caused the problem. Your warranty ought to be voided.
    yup- but it's voided because the mods caused the problems, not simply because you have mods. pathymo's claim was that "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty," which is VERY different than "a mod you make that breaks the phone voids the warranty.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    So the Palm tech support rep who I quoted above is mistaken then? Like, its his job to know, but he's wrong?
    hehe, you think support techs are always right? wow, just, wow.
  7. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    hehe, you think support techs are always right? wow, just, wow.
    No, actually, I don't. If you've read previous posts of mine here on precentral, or over on crackberry, or on the howardforums you would know that. But in that instance, the rep IS correct.
  8. katsnuts's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Still waiting for someone to say I "scared" them....

    And since when was I trying to SCARE anyone? Are you serious? I'm just supplying the facts. I don't care what people do with their phones.

    I'm sure you probably meant to say "software", and not "hardware". Silly. But warranties are not for hardware only. I'm not sure why everyone thinks you can do anything you want to your phone software wise and it won't matter. Maybe its because of the WebOS Doctor. While the WebOS Doctor is nice and will make it look like you didn't do anything to your phone, the fact remains that messing with the software would void your warranty.

    If you rob a bank, and don't get caught, does that mean its not illegal? If you decide you have a severe "oreo twist" but Sprint doesn't agree with you and won't replace it, and you decide to put in an insurance claim saying you lost the phone, is it not insurance fraud if the insurance company doesn't find out?

    And its funny you use an Apple product as an example, considering the iPhone's warranty is voided if you hack the phone.

    I really don't know how this is so shocking to people either.... has no one ever owned a blackberry? Its the same thing.... install an unofficial OS on it, and the warranty is voided.

    Y'all can call me an ***** all you want, but the fact of the matter is that I am correct. Whether you want to believe it or not is up to you, I really couldn't care any less. The OP asked a question, and I answered it correctly. You can kick, scream, fight, argue, whatever you want.... you'll still be wrong.
    So your car warranty is void for changing the preset stations on the radio?

    Your computer warranty is void if you install a faster video driver?

    Your tires are no longer under warranty if you put nirogen in them instead of compressed air?

    Your faucet warranty is void because you attached a Britta filter to it?


    "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty," which is VERY different than "a mod you make that breaks the phone voids the warranty.


    It does not matter if you apply mods to the phone. If there is a PHYSICAL flaw due to poor manufacturing, it is on them. If you break something, it is on you. End of story.
  9. #89  
    You are soooooo wrong. It just that the people here have the ability to restore to factory so they dont see any risk and probably here are none but they are still not going to take any responsibility for you updating the software that is not approved and it bricks on you.

    In past phones, dumb phones, and not even that long ago, you wanted to add java games or ringtones or wallpaper, you had to go to the hackers and download their software and and run their apps and re-flash the software on the chip. You messed up... you bricked your phone... software mod. Did it with my Nextels and Sony Ericcsons.

    Wasnt until I got an iPhone that I saw these devs come up with jailbreak and unlock solutions and package it in a one-click program so that a child could do it which helped spread unlocked iPhone love around the world to the monster of a product you see today.

    Some phones are still not that easy to hack and you CAN brick your phone... hence the warranty on software mods.


    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    no, it actually doesn't. this is almost never the case with *any* product.
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    You are soooooo wrong. It just that the people here have the ability to restore to factory so they dont see any risk and probably here are none but they are still not going to take any responsibility for you updating the software and it bricks on you.
    see my posts regarding federal law, then respond to those if you think they are incorrect.

    Some phones are still not that easy to hack and you CAN brick your phone... hence the warranty on software mods.
    you sure can. and if you do, the warranty isn't going to cover it. but mods, in and of themselves, do not void a warranty.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    No, actually, I don't. If you've read previous posts of mine here on precentral, or over on crackberry, or on the howardforums you would know that. But in that instance, the rep IS correct.
    so you only think techs are right when they agree with you. gotcha.
  12. #92  
    they need to get 1.2.1 out before some members here tear each other apart....this wait is making people grumpy
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  13. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    so you only think techs are right when they agree with you. gotcha.
    No, I think tech reps are right when they are.....well, right.

    Still have yet to see anyone else giving any evidence or documentation stating the contrary of what I've been saying.... other than "well I took my Pre back and they took it back!", which doesn't actually mean anything other than those reps didn't care, or the "evidence" which you supplied which doesn't actually address in any way, shape, or form what's been discussed. And I've actually posted numerous examples of instances in which software modifications and hacks void the warranty for not only the Pre, but for the iPhone and for Blackberry (contrary to your belief that this is rarely the case for *any* product).
  14. #94  
    the magnuson moss act? gosh i have had this discussion on so many different forums from Mustang Forums to Z06vette forum to phone forums...

    Yes I know, I install a Vortech SC in my Stang and my door lock fails they can't void my warranty. If I have an engine problem and I know it had nothing to do with my blower, it's my job to prove otherwise... that's the reality of it.

    Bottom line, if your willing to play, be willing to pay. You know the warranty statement is there and you willing to argue your point if something happens... then have at it.

    It's your responsibility to prove software mod you did had no effect and honestly its not worth the hassle. And you never know... you know that the mod installed a game and looks all fine and dandy but really have no idea what the mod can 'also' do depending on the programming.

    Look at the software updates Palm or Apple release and then the new bugs they get afterwards... Battery drain, running hotter, sluggishness or no feedback. They are responsible for it because they released it. But you cant say with a software mod that it doesnt cause something like overheating and bricks your phone. You can use mods to overclock. So many things can happen and they will not take responsibility for it and take your word that all it does is install homebrews.

    You can argue it but mods can void your warranty.

    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    see my posts regarding federal law, then respond to those if you think they are incorrect.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Still have yet to see anyone else giving any evidence or documentation stating the contrary of what I've been saying....
    i posted you the text of the law that says the implied warranty can't be modified.

    And I've actually posted numerous examples of instances in which software modifications and hacks void the warranty for not only the Pre, but for the iPhone and for Blackberry (contrary to your belief that this is rarely the case for *any* product).
    since NOBODY has disagreed that software modifications CAN void (parts) of the warranty, only your blanket assertion that "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty" (emphasis mine), specific examples of where it has happened (especially when the mods actually cause problems) are largely irrelevant.
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    the magnuson moss act? gosh i have had this discussion on so many different forums from Mustang Forums to Z06vette forum to phone forums...

    Yes I know, I install a Vortech SC in my Stang and my door lock fails they can't void my warranty.
    then we're fundamentally in agreement- i was contesting the statement "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty" (emphasis mine).

    You can argue it but mods can void your warranty.
    never said it can't - i said the statement by pathymo that "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty" (emphasis mine) is incorrect.
  17. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    then we're fundamentally in agreement- i was contesting the statement "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty" (emphasis mine).



    never said it can't - i said the statement by pathymo that "doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty" (emphasis mine) is incorrect.
    Is that REALLY what this has been about? You taking my comment out of context, and implying that I meant any kind of modification whatsoever, as opposed to what I actually meant by mods as in hacks and tweaks? Even though in EVERY POST I MADE, I was quite specific and gave specific examples of what I was talking about?

    Also, in regards to other mods with other devices I mentioned, I actually never said that they did anything to harm the device. Whether or not it harms the phone, updating to an unofficial OS to a blackberry voids the warranty. Jailbreaking/unlocking the iPhone, whether or not it harms your phone, voids the warranty.
  18. dwhall's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    #98  
    My speaker quit working... I took it in to my local sprint store and while showing them that
    it didn't work they noticed my icons and extra pages. He called his manager over and asked
    him the very question about the warranty and he didn't know. The kid that was helping me
    asked if I had the on screen keyboard so I showed them that... They were loving it. The
    manager went into the back room and called someone at sprint and they told him to
    to replace it since it was a hardware issue. I don't know if this answers anyones question
    but this was my experience
  19. #99  
    Same here Bro. i'm on my 4th and not a word said!
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnwoodmike View Post
    Same here Bro. i'm on my 4th and not a word said!
    Dudes... try to understand what i am saying...

    You could go in for your 6th exchange and they wont say anything to you... and sounds like if you are at 4 then it's not an unlikely possibility there ...

    It can come down to the person handling your product and making a determination that the mods have no bearing on your current issue... Example, salesman says "Got a huge OREO? I'm smart enough to know it has nuttin to do with your homebrews, here's Pre number FIVE. See'ya next week!" They know the warehouse will restore during refurb.

    It can come down to a person just not caring at all... You can walk in and tell them you want an exchange and they say, "Ok." no questions asked. Maybe doesnt know or care about the little details and zingers of the warranty and just knows how to ring the register.

    "IT" is in the warranty. "IT" can happen. "IT" depends on the person and situation. And if the person is a weenie, they can use "IT" on ya like they did with the OP.

    Bottom line is that you mod your phone, you open yourself up to the argument that you have voided your warranty.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions