Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 133
  1.    #61  
    I took the phone, now reset to factory default, to a different sprint store today. Neither store even bothered putting the twisting "oreo effect" or charging port crack on the support ticket which tells me that there is pretty much no chance of getting that taken care of.

    They did give me a different battery and told me that if the random shutoffs continued to occur to wedge a piece of paper in there. I already knew this from reading the forum but I can't believe that's the solution they are telling customers. If I bought a new flat screen, car etc. and they told me to fix a rather major design flaw with a piece of paper I would tell them to forget it and give me my money back. We are getting screwed because of being stuck in contracts and end up with very little leverage.

    Since the headset jack problem is intermittent, they told me to just plug the headset back in, in the future if it happens and twist the plug around to see if it corrects the problem.

    Way to go Palm - make us jury rig our phones because you have us over a barrel. This is the type of stuff the FCC should look into. Not exclusivity deals between carriers and handset manufacturers.

    Ok, I'm done ranting.http://forums.precentral.net/images/smilies/mad.gif
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    *sigh*

    then go ahead and put a bunch of crap on your phone and try to exchange it. See what happens.
    I did. The reps asked me how to go about installing themes, and homebrew.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  3. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by irishquinn View Post
    I took the phone, now reset to factory default, to a different sprint store today. Neither store even bothered putting the twisting "oreo effect" or charging port crack on the support ticket which tells me that there is pretty much no chance of getting that taken care of.

    They did give me a different battery and told me that if the random shutoffs continued to occur to wedge a piece of paper in there. I already knew this from reading the forum but I can't believe that's the solution they are telling customers. If I bought a new flat screen, car etc. and they told me to fix a rather major design flaw with a piece of paper I would tell them to forget it and give me my money back. We are getting screwed because of being stuck in contracts and end up with very little leverage.

    Since the headset jack problem is intermittent, they told me to just plug the headset back in, in the future if it happens and twist the plug around to see if it corrects the problem.

    Way to go Palm - make us jury rig our phones because you have us over a barrel. This is the type of stuff the FCC should look into. Not exclusivity deals between carriers and handset manufacturers.

    Ok, I'm done ranting.http://forums.precentral.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

    Its really more Sprint than Palm. If you call Palm, they'll probably replace the phone for you. You'll have to send your old one back, and they will place a hold for the retail value of the phone on your credit card, but it will get replaced and the hold will be released when they get your old phone. You could probably also send it in for repair, but it would leave you without your Pre for a short time.

    You could also try calling Sprint CS, and you might even try calling CS at the store and having them talk to the rep. Sprint can't deny you a replacement by telling you to stick a piece of paper in your battery compartment.
  4. #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by irishquinn View Post
    Way to go Palm - make us jury rig our phones because you have us over a barrel. This is the type of stuff the FCC should look into. Not exclusivity deals between carriers and handset manufacturers.
    Yes it's Palms phone, no it's not Palm who decides if Sprint will replace it for you or not. Have you tried calling retentions? Or even pointed out to these fools that these are factory defects and they are obligated to replace the phone for you?

    Sorry your Sprint reps are raging idiots.
    Lovin Sprint, and the Pre.
  5. Toniolli's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    #65  
    I work in the stores...and I obviously tweak my own phones. Our techs don't say they won't replace it and I am on my 3rd one. I messed up the last one by tweaking it and losing my message thread. Guess what SPRINT REPLACED IT. Therefore...you are wrong
  6.    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Toniolli View Post
    I work in the stores...and I obviously tweak my own phones. Our techs don't say they won't replace it and I am on my 3rd one. I messed up the last one by tweaking it and losing my message thread. Guess what SPRINT REPLACED IT. Therefore...you are wrong
    Well that's your experience. It's obviously possible that someone else could have a different experience.

    Also, you work for them so of course they are going to treat you differently.
  7. hselomein's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by bschlinker View Post
    You are making software changes -- not internal hardware changes. This is similar to HP telling me I can't change my laptops operating system or Palm telling me I can't add new software to my Windows Mobile phone without voiding the warranty.

    He has no idea what he is talking about. Assuming you just installed homebrew apps via the supported methods provided by Palm, I don't think he stands a chance.
    Yeah i would like you to try to get support for an HP machine that came with windows and you put linux on it. they wont support it, warranty effectively voided.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Sorry to break it to you all, but yes, doing any kind of modification on your phone voids the warranty. Any time you do mods and end up having to take it back for whatever reason, restore it to factory defaults.
    You clearly don't know anything about federal warranty rules. The vendor can only deny warranty coverage IF the mod you made caused the problem, and it's up to them to prove the mod is the cause.

    So if you modify the battery, and end of frying the phone, then yes, they can deny coverage. And if you someone manage to find a program that causes permanet damage to some aspect to the phone, and Palm / Sprint can prove it. You're out of luck. But no software mod is going to cause the battery / reset issue, so Palm is obligated to fix that no matter what.

    Quote Originally Posted by hselomein View Post
    Yeah i would like you to try to get support for an HP machine that came with windows and you put linux on it. they wont support it, warranty effectively voided.
    Sorry, that's simply not true. In that case, they would deny any support for software related issues, but if the video card or network interface craps out, they still have to cover it. Unless, someone, Linux broke the video card, which is pretty unlikely. (But, if you send it back to HP, expect to have Windows back on it when you get it back.


    Back to the Pre, though, it's becoming more and more clear that Palm never learned a lesson from a few generations of problem prone Treos. These kinds of hardware issues will kill Palm in the long term if they don't address them quickly. Things like this spread like wildfire on the interweb.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    You clearly don't know anything about federal warranty rules. The vendor can only deny warranty coverage IF the mod you made caused the problem, and it's up to them to prove the mod is the cause.

    So if you modify the battery, and end of frying the phone, then yes, they can deny coverage. And if you someone manage to find a program that causes permanet damage to some aspect to the phone, and Palm / Sprint can prove it. You're out of luck. But no software mod is going to cause the battery / reset issue, so Palm is obligated to fix that no matter what.
    k.

    So the Palm tech support rep who I quoted above is mistaken then? Like, its his job to know, but he's wrong? Just wanna, you know, make sure.
  10. #70  
    Pathymo, are you just pain nuts? There is a big difference between a Sprint store employee denying service on a phone and actually voiding the warranty. Has Sprint or Palm voided the warranty on anyone's phone? Void is a very strong and specific word. Installing tweaks will not void the warranty on the phone. The only way to void the warranty would be to modify the phone in such a way that your modifications caused a failure. Even in that case, Palm/Sprint would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your modification did indeed cause the failure in question. Have you ever read Magnuson-Moss?

    I think your new forum name should be Cassandra.
  11. #71  
    If you can't get Sprint or Palm to exchange your phone, you are not trying hard enough. Don't let the ***** sales reps in the store boss you around, especially when the problems being experienced have nothing at all to do with software mods. Even if a mod does cause a problem, it's easy enough to make the phone appear as if it was never modded. Suppose you overclocked your processor to 1 Ghz and it fryed, how would they ever even be able to see that software mods were done to it in the past? Palm or Sprint would throw that phone into the trash.
    God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect;
  12. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer View Post
    Pathymo, are you just pain nuts? There is a big difference between a Sprint store employee denying service on a phone and actually voiding the warranty. Has Sprint or Palm voided the warranty on anyone's phone? Void is a very strong and specific word. Installing tweaks will not void the warranty on the phone. The only way to void the warranty would be to modify the phone in such a way that your modifications caused a failure. Even in that case, Palm/Sprint would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your modification did indeed cause the failure in question. Have you ever read Magnuson-Moss?

    I think your new forum name should be Cassandra.
    I refer you to my comment above.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    I refer you to my comment above.
    yeah the rep in question is a ******, does that explain it? Some of Palm's support are total idiots. More than one of their support reps had me doing hard resets on my first phones to make sure dead pixels and screen blotches weren't software related.
    God makes the earth yield healing herbs which the prudent man should not neglect;
  14. #74  
    Hiding behind some rights-voiding law is ridiculous. No one can sell a complex product with a carte-blanche guarantee--they agree to cover it under certain terms, and the right thing to do is buy it if they're reasonable and walk away if they're unreasonable (and the unreasonable ones will be punished in the marketplace).

    As far as the specifics of this issue, I asked the Sprint rep when I was buying my phone about installing your own tweaks. He said it was no problem and pulled out his (non-Pre) phone to show me the non-official customization he'd done.

    I know he doesn't officially speak for Sprint or Palm, but whatever their actual policy is two things keep me from worrying: the fact that the Sprint store employees are the ones who'll handle your return/exchange, and the fact that I trust Sprint to stand by what their rep told me before I bought the phone, as a sound business practice.
  15. #75  
    Following your line of reasoning, if you do ANYTHING with the phone, it will void your warranty. Enter contact information into the address book, boom, voided warranty. Have software updates from Sprint/Palm automatically installed, boom, there goes the warranty again. Rearrange the icons on the phone, change the font type or size, bada-boom bada-bing, your warranty just went out the door. C'mon, get real. After all, those addresses you entered were not Palm-approved, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    I'll start off by saying that the burden of proof lies on you here, but whatever.

    My warranty stats in the most basic terms that if you mess with your phone and something happens to it and you want to get it exchanged, you can't do because you voided your warranty by messin with it and that may be causing the problem. Whether or not it did is not an issue, but you have things on your phone that are not supposed to be there, and I will therefore say no replacement for your because you modified the device. The language outlining this is in the first line as well as line 4.

    There is actually more fully detailed literature on this, but I'm sure you can find it yourself.


    Here's the bottom line. You can say as much as you want that it shouldn't void your warranty, and you can say all you want "hey, don't listen to crazy ol' pathymo! He don't know squat!". But it still won't make you right. The fact of the matter is that if you modify your device in any way (be it hardware or software), you have technically voided your warranty, and you may not be issued a replacement device.

    But because there are people out there like YOU who don't actually research this stuff and say "Well mine says this so hahahaha what does yours say?????", there will always be misinformation and stupidity will continue to reign far and wide.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #76  
    I read all the OP's messages, and nowhere does he mention that his software mods messed the phone up. It was the rep in the store that told him that.

    As for the law not applying, Sprint would have to show how those mods are causing the case to crack, the head phones to stop working and the phone to randomly shut off, especially since these are all known bugs/defects in the product line. And they would have to do that before denying his warranty claim. Anything else leaves them open to legal action.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy K View Post
    well technically.... the OP did admit that it was his hacks and mods screwing the phone up.... so what the law says does not apply to him.

    FOR EXAMPLE. if a someone were to buy a brand new windows computer and decided he didnt like windows, he wanted linux instead. then the guy wipes the hard drive and installs ubuntu. then he screws up and says "oh well the federal law blablabla protects me i can return it" IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY!!

    i think you should really read it before you start posting up "proof". the word "modification" is talking about the warranty. the WARRANTY cannot be modified. not that "if you modify your product you can still return it." another example: you cant modify a car and then go back to the dealer and say its a lemon, when it was you that screwed it up in the first place, and then say its covered under the lemon law.... thats just STUPID!

    also, the warranty is at the discretion of the company providing it.... so if a company sells a consumer product without warranty, it is required that they say NO WARRANTY! warranty is not a requirement to sell a consumer product. thats why electronic stores sell deeply discounted items WITHOUT WARRANTIES! read lines (6) and (12)

    -STATUTE-
    (a) Full and conspicuous disclosure of terms and conditions;
    additional requirements for contents
    In order to improve the adequacy of information available to
    consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the
    marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer
    product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall, to the
    extent required by rules of the Commission, fully and conspicuously
    disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and
    conditions of such warranty. Such rules may require inclusion in
    the written warranty of any of the following items among others:
    (1) The clear identification of the names and addresses of the
    warrantors.
    (2) The identity of the party or parties to whom the warranty
    is extended.
    (3) The products or parts covered.
    (4) A statement of what the warrantor will do in the event of a
    defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written
    warranty - at whose expense - and for what period of time.
    (5) A statement of what the consumer must do and expenses he
    must bear.
    (6) Exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.
    (7) The step-by-step procedure which the consumer should take
    in order to obtain performance of any obligation under the
    warranty, including the identification of any person or class of
    persons authorized to perform the obligations set forth in the
    warranty.
    (8) Information respecting the availability of any informal
    dispute settlement procedure offered by the warrantor and a
    recital, where the warranty so provides, that the purchaser may
    be required to resort to such procedure before pursuing any legal
    remedies in the courts.
    (12) The characteristics or properties of the products, or
    parts thereof, that are not covered by the warranty.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  17. #77  
    WHOA!!! First you take the guy to task by saying any kind of mods void his warranty. Now are you saying that homebrew apps are okay? The OP clearly stated that he had homebrew mods on the phone. What the difference now?


    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    It wouldn't be the homebrew apps that would be a problem. It would be the "mods" the OP described.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  18. #78  
    Now correct me if I'm wrong, but won't putting a piece of paper in the battery compartment void the warranty???


    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Its really more Sprint than Palm. If you call Palm, they'll probably replace the phone for you. You'll have to send your old one back, and they will place a hold for the retail value of the phone on your credit card, but it will get replaced and the hold will be released when they get your old phone. You could probably also send it in for repair, but it would leave you without your Pre for a short time.

    You could also try calling Sprint CS, and you might even try calling CS at the store and having them talk to the rep. Sprint can't deny you a replacement by telling you to stick a piece of paper in your battery compartment.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  19. pathymo's Avatar
    Posts
    231 Posts
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Following your line of reasoning, if you do ANYTHING with the phone, it will void your warranty. Enter contact information into the address book, boom, voided warranty. Have software updates from Sprint/Palm automatically installed, boom, there goes the warranty again. Rearrange the icons on the phone, change the font type or size, bada-boom bada-bing, your warranty just went out the door. C'mon, get real. After all, those addresses you entered were not Palm-approved, right?
    No. This doesn't even come to close to what I described.

    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    WHOA!!! First you take the guy to task by saying any kind of mods void his warranty. Now are you saying that homebrew apps are okay? The OP clearly stated that he had homebrew mods on the phone. What the difference now?
    Again, no. Never ONCE did I say homebrew apps would void the warranty, and never ONCE did I say homebrew apps were "mods". And I never actually took the OP "to task". In fact, in my original post, I suggested restoring the phone to factory defaults before returning it.
  20. tarhead's Avatar
    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    #80  
    I tried to return my pre today but sprint refused me. I was driving my oldsmobile when I picked it up - and was driving a ford when I attempted the exchange.

    You folks need to relax a little! Or maybe change the title of the thread to the "quotes thread".
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions