Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dtg755 View Post
    I have exchanged my phone 5 times with homebrew apps and added launcher pages, virtual keyboard, etc on board...they never said anything at all. Maybe there are just chill people working at my sprint store.
    I also exchanged 2 of them that were modded to the gill. Nobody ever said a word about it.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Ditto they never said anything when I took back mine, i even had the % battery monitor enabled.
    That guy was having a bad day and wanted to pull your leg. Is ok just restore and take it back man.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathymo View Post
    Um, actually it does. This is the case with *all* cell phone warranties. If, for example, you walked into a store to exchange your phone and happen to have WebOS 1.2 installed on it, your warranty is voided, and they don't have to exchange the device.

Installed the Virtual Keyboard? Warranty voided. Enabled forwarding of txts? Voided. Added pages for icons? Voided.

But you can go ahead and continue to give false information if you want.
    sorry bud, you're the one that's giving bad info. federal law looks unfavorably on blanket voiding of warranties, and certainly prohibits disclaiming of the implied warranty that exists.

My warranty stats in the most basic terms that if you mess with your phone and something happens to it and you want to get it exchanged, you can't do because you voided your warranty by messin with it and that may be causing the problem. Whether or not it did is not an issue, but you have things on your phone that are not supposed to be there, and I will therefore say no replacement for your because you modified the device. The language outlining this is in the first line as well as line 4.
    maybe you should use the actual terms, instead of 'the most basic terms,' because what you're describing is illegal. especially the part where you say

"...you can't do because you voided your warranty by messin with it and that may be causing the problem. Whether or not it did is not an issue.."

that ABSOLUTELY is an issue- federal law (magnuson moss act) prohibits disclaiming the implied warranty (in 'the most basic terms,' that the phone works for it's intended purpose), so unless one of the modifications broke it, they can't simply say 'too bad, no warranty for you!'

You can say as much as you want that it shouldn't void your warranty, and you can say all you want "hey, don't listen to crazy ol' pathymo! He don't know squat!". But it still won't make you right. The fact of the matter is that if you modify your device in any way (be it hardware or software), you have technically voided your warranty, and you may not be issued a replacement device.

But because there are people out there like YOU who don't actually research this stuff and say "Well mine says this so hahahaha what does yours say?????", there will always be misinformation and stupidity will continue to reign far and wide.
    ol' pathymo, he don't know squat! he should research the magnuson moss act. maybe start here, with the actual text of the act.
    http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

(a) Restrictions on disclaimers or modifications
    No supplier may disclaim or modify (except as provided in
    subsection (b) of this section) any implied warranty to a consumer
    with respect to such consumer product if (1) such supplier makes
    any written warranty to the consumer with respect to such consumer
    Product, or (2) at the time of sale, or within 90 days thereafter,
    such supplier enters into a service contract with the consumer
    which applies to such consumer product.
    (b) Limitation on duration
    For purposes of this chapter (other than section 2304(a)(2) of
    this title), implied warranties may be limited in duration to the
    duration of a written warranty of reasonable duration, if such
    limitation is conscionable and is set forth in clear and
    unmistakable language and prominently displayed on the face of the
    warranty.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    well technically.... the OP did admit that it was his hacks and mods screwing the phone up.... so what the law says does not apply to him.

FOR EXAMPLE. if a someone were to buy a brand new windows computer and decided he didnt like windows, he wanted linux instead. then the guy wipes the hard drive and installs ubuntu. then he screws up and says "oh well the federal law blablabla protects me i can return it" IT DOESNT WORK THAT WAY!!

i think you should really read it before you start posting up "proof". the word "modification" is talking about the warranty. the WARRANTY cannot be modified. not that "if you modify your product you can still return it." another example: you cant modify a car and then go back to the dealer and say its a lemon, when it was you that screwed it up in the first place, and then say its covered under the lemon law.... thats just STUPID!

also, the warranty is at the discretion of the company providing it.... so if a company sells a consumer product without warranty, it is required that they say NO WARRANTY! warranty is not a requirement to sell a consumer product. thats why electronic stores sell deeply discounted items WITHOUT WARRANTIES! read lines (6) and (12)

-STATUTE-
    (a) Full and conspicuous disclosure of terms and conditions;
    additional requirements for contents
    In order to improve the adequacy of information available to
    consumers, prevent deception, and improve competition in the
    marketing of consumer products, any warrantor warranting a consumer
    product to a consumer by means of a written warranty shall, to the
    extent required by rules of the Commission, fully and conspicuously
    disclose in simple and readily understood language the terms and
    conditions of such warranty. Such rules may require inclusion in
    the written warranty of any of the following items among others:
    (1) The clear identification of the names and addresses of the
    warrantors.
    (2) The identity of the party or parties to whom the warranty
    is extended.
    (3) The products or parts covered.
    (4) A statement of what the warrantor will do in the event of a
    defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written
    warranty - at whose expense - and for what period of time.
    (5) A statement of what the consumer must do and expenses he
    must bear.
    (6) Exceptions and exclusions from the terms of the warranty.
    (7) The step-by-step procedure which the consumer should take
    in order to obtain performance of any obligation under the
    warranty, including the identification of any person or class of
    persons authorized to perform the obligations set forth in the
    warranty.
    (8) Information respecting the availability of any informal
    dispute settlement procedure offered by the warrantor and a
    recital, where the warranty so provides, that the purchaser may
    be required to resort to such procedure before pursuing any legal
    remedies in the courts.
    (12) The characteristics or properties of the products, or
    parts thereof, that are not covered by the warranty.
    Yeah its voided, just face it, reset it and go back... some sprint reps like to be a big ***** about it as if they are the KING or OWNER of Sprint... hate those type of people... but yeah reset it, go back, and get a new/refub one... as simple as it can get
    Warranty may be voided. Though if you run WebOSDoctor, it brings it back to factory setting anyway (besides, if you're returning a phone, wouldn't you want to whipe your personal data anyway).

On a side note, you'd be surprised how many Sprint employees (occationally store managers even) contact me about getting WebOS Quick Install setup on devices. I've also received countless emails from people saying Sprint employees they bough the Pre from had directed them to WebOS Quick Install.

I'm sure they were doing such on a personal basis to help new users get the most out of their device, but I gotta wonder what Sprint's official stance is on things like WebOS Quick Install (other than the warranty I mean) and what legal ramifications people messing up their device is, if they were told about it by Sprint employees...
    Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    Actually it in a sense it voids your warranty but since you can use these home brew apps as a testing purpose as palm states it does not void your warranty or EULA. If you wanted to fight it you could, and from a insider, you will win in the end.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atlanta View Post
    Actually it in a sense it voids your warranty but since you can use these home brew apps as a testing purpose as palm states it does not void your warranty or EULA. If you wanted to fight it you could, and from a insider, you will win in the end.
    It wouldn't be the homebrew apps that would be a problem. It would be the "mods" the OP described.
    Um, actually it does. This is the case with *all* cell phone warranties. If, for example, you walked into a store to exchange your phone and happen to have WebOS 1.2 installed on it, your warranty is voided, and they don't have to exchange the device.

Installed the Virtual Keyboard? Warranty voided. Enabled forwarding of txts? Voided. Added pages for icons? Voided.

But you can go ahead and continue to give false information if you want.
    That's funny, I walked into a Sprint store, external speaker dead, 1.2 loaded, with plenty of homebrew, the 4x4 icons mod for the launcher, among other things, and they ordered me a replacement no questions asked.
    sounds like an ask chuq question....
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
    sorry bud, you're the one that's giving bad info. federal law looks unfavorably on blanket voiding of warranties, and certainly prohibits disclaiming of the implied warranty that exists.

maybe you should use the actual terms, instead of 'the most basic terms,' because what you're describing is illegal. especially the part where you say

"...you can't do because you voided your warranty by messin with it and that may be causing the problem. Whether or not it did is not an issue.."

that ABSOLUTELY is an issue- federal law (magnuson moss act) prohibits disclaiming the implied warranty (in 'the most basic terms,' that the phone works for it's intended purpose), so unless one of the modifications broke it, they can't simply say 'too bad, no warranty for you!'

ol' pathymo, he don't know squat! he should research the magnuson moss act. maybe start here, with the actual text of the act.
    http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C50.txt

(a) Restrictions on disclaimers or modifications
    No supplier may disclaim or modify (except as provided in
    subsection (b) of this section) any implied warranty to a consumer
    with respect to such consumer product if (1) such supplier makes
    any written warranty to the consumer with respect to such consumer
    Product, or (2) at the time of sale, or within 90 days thereafter,
    such supplier enters into a service contract with the consumer
    which applies to such consumer product.
    (b) Limitation on duration
    For purposes of this chapter (other than section 2304(a)(2) of
    this title), implied warranties may be limited in duration to the
    duration of a written warranty of reasonable duration, if such
    limitation is conscionable and is set forth in clear and
    unmistakable language and prominently displayed on the face of the
    warranty.
    Its nice that you TRY to sound smart, but you fail. No information you just quoted would provide protection to a consumer for ruining their device by installing modifications that shouldn't be there.

You can try again if you'd like, or just concede to the fact that you are incorrect.

And to everyone who says the Sprint rep is being a jerk yadda yadda, he actually isn't. First of all, he's doing his job. It would probably really suck to lose it. Also, he is looking out for YOU, since if he took the phone back with modifications on it, it would be at the discretion of the manufacturer as to whether or not they want to charge you for the phone, and while that likely wouldn't happen it still COULD happen.

So just do what's been said, restore to factory defaults, and try again.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    That's funny, I walked into a Sprint store, external speaker dead, 1.2 loaded, with plenty of homebrew, the 4x4 icons mod for the launcher, among other things, and they ordered me a replacement no questions asked.
    This is the last time I'll say it, since I've said it already a couple of times.

THIS DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY. All it means is you went into a store with clueless people, or people who just don't really care. Chances are if you went in and said the speaker was dead, that's all they paid attention to.
    This is the last time I'll say it, since I've said it already a couple of times.

THIS DOESN'T MEAN IT DOESN'T VOID THE WARRANTY. All it means is you went into a store with clueless people, or people who just don't really care. Chances are if you went in and said the speaker was dead, that's all they paid attention to.
    Sorry, you're wrong. I've also spoken with a Palm Rep about homebrew, and specifically asked if it voided the warrantee. You are plain wrong.
    so if i was to walk into a sprint store with no problems wrong with my phone an showed them my very modded, theme, tweaked, mytether pre. I wouldn't get in trouble for it?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Sorry, you're wrong. I've also spoken with a Palm Rep about homebrew, and specifically asked if it voided the warrantee. You are plain wrong.
    Oh my freakin God, you people are nuts.... If you'd really read what I said earlier, you would note that I am not talking about homebrew apps.

I urge you to install WebOS 1.2, take your phone into a store and complain about it not working properly, and see what happens. This would be an example of a "tweak" that would void your warranty. Its the same if you upload a leaked OS to a blackberry, or mess around with hybrid files.

But whatev. In the words of Barney Frank, arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    so if i was to walk into a sprint store with no problems wrong with my phone an showed them my very modded, theme, tweaked, mytether pre. I wouldn't get in trouble for it?
    Apparently not! Hell, you can tweak your phone to run windows mobile and it STILL wouldn't cause any problems!
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Seeing as I work at one with a modded pre I can say for the most part they don't care. My manager has had me show customers the virtual keyboard mod when they groan about not being able to type in landscape.

When something comes in with 3rd party applications we just require a hard reset first that we will even do for the customer. Just to ensure that the 3rd party stuff is not causing the issue. Which I have seen happen. Mainly causing peoples keyboards to not work.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    It seems like this depends on the rep you talk to or the service tech. I also wonder if those that were unable to get the phone exchanged were going to Corp. Sprint stores or the 3rd party service centers. The touch screen went out on my buddies Pre last week and he went in to exchange it at a Corp Sprint Repair Center. They would not exchange the phone because he had "Quick Contacts" on his Launcher Bar and the battery percent tweak as well as new Boost logo. They told him he would need to have the phone back to factory setting before they could exchange the phone. So he brought it over to me and we ran WebOS Dr and the phone was then stuck on the "Select Language" screen since the touch screen was out but they did do the exchange once the phone was back to factory settings.
    Oh my freakin God, you people are nuts.... If you'd really read what I said earlier, you would note that I am not talking about homebrew apps.

I urge you to install WebOS 1.2, take your phone into a store and complain about it not working properly, and see what happens. This would be an example of a "tweak" that would void your warranty. Its the same if you upload a leaked OS to a blackberry, or mess around with hybrid files.

But whatev. In the words of Barney Frank, arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table.
    You're telling me to do something I've already done, and then telling me I'm wrong because it doesn't match your specific criteria Loading 1.2 also wouldn't void your warrantee, as, if you were smart enough to know how to load 1.2, disable updates, you wouldn't go into a Sprint store if it wasn't working right, and going back to 1.1 is easier than loading 1.2. You have yet to actually explain why loading a Palm written OS will void your warrantee. Do you think a PC's warrantee is voided if a customer decides to run Windows 7 on it? You'd be wrong again if you did.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast