Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    How many of you are over the novelty back and forward swipe? I for one would love to have a dedicated back button. I'm tired of swipping multiple times or aciddentally launching/tapping something when all I want to do is go back one screen. Especially in the music/music (remix) ap.

    I hope that future web os devices add a hardware soft key or two... Maybe I'm just too old school...
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawgmon View Post
    How many of you are over the novelty back and forward swipe? I for one would love to have a dedicated back button. I'm tired of swipping multiple times or aciddentally launching/tapping something when all I want to do is go back one screen. Especially in the music/music (remix) ap.

    I hope that future web os devices add a hardware soft key or two... Maybe I'm just too old school...
    I love the gestures, extra buttons=suck. I'd prefer no buttons on the face.
  3. knip's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #3  
    Personally would rather have no buttons at all. No that is not a compliment to the iphone. All i do is gestures...
  4. Xyg
    Xyg is offline
    Xyg's Avatar
    Posts
    1,104 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    #4  
    I enjoy not having needless UI elements. The gesture area is a winner in my book.
  5. #5  
    I'm with the OP on this one.. I have Advanced Gestures on and really dig being able to swap apps with a quick swipe but don't relish having to distinguish a full swipe from a half.

    You could take that center button, which I never use anymore, and make it a back button and I'd be happy.
  6. #6  
    I don't mind. I am soooo used to the gestures already and don't even use that center button.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I love the gestures, extra buttons=suck. I'd prefer no buttons on the face.
    +1
  8. sbono13's Avatar
    Posts
    426 Posts
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    #8  
    I'm used to the back gesture, but it does add to the learning curve. I hate having to give a mini-tutorial everytime I want to let someone look at pictures on my Pre. As for unnecessary UI elements, it doesn't bother me that the browser has the back (and sometimes forward) button. Making the back-gesture optional when possible makes the Pre more beginner friendly.
  9. #9  
    I think the back gesture makes the pre unique. I find myself doing it on other peoples phones. I always feel lost with any other phone.
  10. #10  
    i agree with everyone else gestures all the way
  11.    #11  
    I guess it is just me after all...

    I just find having to swipe multiple times while changing songs, while drive, running, while on a phone call, etc... frustrating some times.

    Don't get me wrong, it's not like I don't like the gestures area. I like it just fine, but there are just times that I would like something a little more precise/reliable. Especially when running multiple aps. The response time of the swipe can be slow, causing me to want to swipe again.

    Like I said, for me, the novelty has worn off and I'd like an option to have an additional, more reliable navigation button or baring that, increase the accuracy and responsiveness of the swipe.

    Another thing a dedicated button or "soft spot" could do is allow for basic navigation while the device is not visible. Like in your pocket, Drives me crazy that I have to take the device out, open it up/wake it up just advance/repeat a song.
  12. #12  
    Gesture area is useless!!!! Prefer a button any day over this 2 handed gesture area!
  13. #13  
    I hate the button that is there. It's completely pointless. I am glad to see, with the Pixi, they decided to remove it.

    The less buttons the better. I have no problems gesturing.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendellp View Post
    Gesture area is useless!!!! Prefer a button any day over this 2 handed gesture area!
    2 handed gesture? I use 1 finger, can do gestures 1 handed no sweat.
  15. spyre's Avatar
    Posts
    34 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #15  
    I wish they would make the button a roller like on a blackberry...so when you mistype something you can just scroll back to it or perhaps make it so it can be pushed in the 4 directions so you can change the one letter without having to tap on the screen 37 times to get the cursor in the right place or just delete everything back to the point of the error. Such a pain!

    As for the back gestures, I think they are ok but combined with the option above would give a better experience.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyre View Post
    I wish they would make the button a roller like on a blackberry...so when you mistype something you can just scroll back to it or perhaps make it so it can be pushed in the 4 directions so you can change the one letter without having to tap on the screen 37 times to get the cursor in the right place or just delete everything back to the point of the error. Such a pain!

    As for the back gestures, I think they are ok but combined with the option above would give a better experience.
    Trackballs suck. Period. 1.2 fixes the text selection/scrolling, it's much improved.
  17. #17  
    Just being to old school......I bet you downloaded the treo ringtones, paid for the 'today' screen app, etc. also.
  18. urkel's Avatar
    Posts
    944 Posts
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    #18  
    The gesture area is the areola of that useless nipple button because it serves no purpose other than aesthetics. IMO, that whole section could be put to better use (like more screen space)

    Quote Originally Posted by lawdawgmon View Post
    I hope that future web os devices add a hardware soft key or two... Maybe I'm just too old school...
    It's not being "old school" to want buttons. It's being functional. Buttons make life easier and this trend to go buttonless is mostly a gimmick. Eliminating the keypad is fine because less buttons = more scren. But the gesture area isn't viewable area so it is basically a "cool" way to virtually give a back/forward command.
    Last edited by Urkel; 09/23/2009 at 01:56 PM.
  19. Mpre's Avatar
    Posts
    143 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #19  
    Gestures......its the only reason why I bought the Pre.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin1497 View Post
    Just being to old school......I bet you downloaded the treo ringtones, paid for the 'today' screen app, etc. also.
    Sorry, you'd lose that bet... I've done neither, but I will say that by being "too old school" means I also like the physical keyboard.

    So I wonder, of those that oppose the addition of hardware navigation, how many would also like to see the physical KB go away.

    I prefer the speed, accuracy and tactile feel of the KB, which was a deciding factor in choosing Pre over other touch screen phones. Which is also why I feel like a couple simple navigation buttons would be nice. If at some future date, gestures/touch screen technology can meet those preferences then I'm all for no buttons.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions