Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    There's really no guessing, but from what I can tell, it's going to be a lot. If they have to hire people just to help approve these apps, it has to mean something! lol
    Well, with all these new applications, will Palm eliminate the restriction of space/items for the programs? Some say yes, others say no. If no, what good are more applications, if we are unable to download them?
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonW View Post
    Aren't there already like 83 apps? I would think, without worry of hopes dashing, they could squeeze out more than just 17 more apps for their grand debut. Plus, we don't know how many companies have been working on this all along. I know I've seen quite a few stories from various companies stating "they'll have an app for that" for the Pre.
    I suspect that there are many developers that have completed apps that they (the developers) have been witholding pending a method of getting paid for them. Some may have already been approved before the latest "rush", but not released as free.

I'm guessing around 250 total, including the current apps.
    Aren't there already like 83 apps? I would think, without worry of hopes dashing, they could squeeze out more than just 17 more apps for their grand debut. Plus, we don't know how many companies have been working on this all along. I know I've seen quite a few stories from various companies stating "they'll have an app for that" for the Pre.
    You make a good point. But, I would much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. And I think the stock market feels the same way. If expectations are kept low, and then the size of the app catalog doubles, it will be big, exciting news. If expectations are high and the app catalog doubles, it will be like, "what, only 100 more apps? Doesn't Apple have like 75k apps? Palm sucks." If expectations are high and the app catalog only gets 10-20 new apps, it will be like, "what is the matter with Palm? Is webOS dead?" I want either excitement, or meh in the worst case.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You make a good point. But, I would much rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. And I think the stock market feels the same way. If expectations are kept low, and then the size of the app catalog doubles, it will be big, exciting news. If expectations are high and the app catalog doubles, it will be like, "what, only 100 more apps? Doesn't Apple have like 75k apps? Palm sucks." If expectations are high and the app catalog only gets 10-20 new apps, it will be like, "what is the matter with Palm? Is webOS dead?" I want either excitement, or meh in the worst case.
    You might find this strange, but I don't think the market IS paying attention to the app catalog. I'm not even sure how many are aware of its imminent debut outside of tech centric sites. My joke about it earlier was just that. They'll only sit up and notice if it's a big number and well-spun press release, i.e. "Palm Launches New App Catalog With Over 500 Apps and Thousands More on the Way." It needs to be a good surprise.

This isn't to say that tech centric sites won't be carrying the news one way or another.

PreCentral ought to do a quickie contest with a Touchstone prize. Guess the exact number of apps and win. Kinda like a guess how many beans in the jar.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Well, this informal polling just might get an extension:

http://www.precentral.net/rumor-webo...ix-itunes-sync
    Last edited by SharonW; 09/23/2009 at 01:38 AM. Reason: wrong link
    They should release the new OS today if they were smart. In that way everyones phone will be up to date and hopefully some bugs taken care of like the memory error some have posted about. In that way they can open the store with people ready to pay and play instead of waiting to update at the same time the store opens.
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    I'm thinking 40. App store can quote all its 75K apps all it wants, but when it comes to quality apps, that number is a WHOLE lot lower.
    I agree, but there will be no games worth a rats ***. For me, the number of quality apps will always be lower on the Pre. (Unless the SDK matures rapidly)
    who needs apps when we have itunes syncing?
    When they debut the new app catalog on Thursday, I think they'll want to WOW people so I'm thinking big. My magic number is 500 (thinking this is high but doable), however 1,000 would be super duper primo. Over one hundred for certain, but I expect there should be more than 150. Remember, I'm including apps already in there.

What are your guesses and why?
    You'll be extremely disappointed. I expect at the most 20-30 new paid apps
    While I don't have an estimate for the total number of new apps, I can, with confidence, predict at least 2 beer drinking apps, 7 flashlight apps, and 4-5 fart apps.
    screw the apps i want the updates and the "fixes"!!!!
    50 New Apps, 40+ updates to older apps to accept payments (like Connect4).
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    While I don't have an estimate for the total number of new apps, I can, with confidence, predict at least 2 beer drinking apps, 7 flashlight apps, and 4-5 fart apps.
    So that's what you've been busy working on.
    They should have used one of those times they released something the day before an Apple event to hype up the App Store and introduce just one or two of the big developers and give a teaser of the app to come on opening day like Apple did with their store.

I think it was months in advanced during their developers meeting that Apple had Sega showing Super Monkey Ball and all the other apps to get people excited. They could have showcased the new Facebook App that they already showed on the Pixi or their own apps like the promised Video feature.

It's too bad that they kept people guess without even a tease of one app to wait for which could lead to dissapointments of expectations not set. They havent been too good in the Marketing department unless they just have something huge for tomorrow. Sega? EA? Facebook? Epocrates? Pre-fart?

I think they should release the software update today though.

Quote Originally Posted by 93akkord View Post
    There's really no guessing, but from what I can tell, it's going to be a lot. If they have to hire people just to help approve these apps, it has to mean something! lol
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12