Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Damit! I was talking on my Pre while washing some dishes and all of sudden the Pre pops out of my hand and splashes into the sink full of water!!!!!!!! ARHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I pulled the Pre out of it swim within a few seconds but the screen immediately began to flicker and distort! I removed the battery and set aside the phone to dry.... this stinks because I really need my phone right now. I have sprint's TEP but really don't want to spend the $100 deductible right now. Any suggestions on what I should do to perhaps bring my Pre back from the dead? How long should I let the Pre dry before I try inserting the battery again? Would a hair dryer be a good way to try to dry out the circuits? Any suggestions would be appreciated...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 09/23/2009 at 11:11 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    If you have some rice, bury it in rice. The rice absorbs the moisture.

It will take atleast a day to dry out. I wouldn't try powering it on for atleast a day.
    Bringing phone from dead... coming up! don't forget the alcohol... helps!

Badi Jones: Web, Tech, Etc… Bringing a Soaking Wet iPhone Back From the Dead
  4.    #4  
    thanks! Soaking the pre in alcohol and then letting it dry in rice for 3 days? hmmmm.... I guess I could try this out but I dunno if I can last without a phone for that long! I don't have a land line and the Pre is the only phone I have! Thanks though for the suggestions...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    see this post http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-bath.html

BTW dont use a hair drier. too much heat and may ruin the phone.

I would recommend kitty litter or Damp-rid. Rice will not really help, but read the thread and it may help.

Good luck
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The rice trick is the best bet. DO NOT SUBMERGE IN ALCOHOL! A lot of these touch screen have a special coating inside of them that get ruined by alcohol, so don't even try it. Leave it in a sealed baggie of uncooked rice overnight and try it in the morning. Best of luck!
    Never happened to me but read in iphone forums a lot and been successful and didnt see any issue with touchscreen. so many little crevices and such i think the alcohol would help displace the water. oh well, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gmrpnk21 View Post
    The rice trick is the best bet. DO NOT SUBMERGE IN ALCOHOL! A lot of these touch screen have a special coating inside of them that get ruined by alcohol, so don't even try it. Leave it in a sealed baggie of uncooked rice overnight and try it in the morning. Best of luck!
  8.    #8  
    I dropped the Pre into soapy dishwater though. Wouldn't the alcohol help to remove any soap residue that might be remaining? Or should I just put the phone in the rice and just pray that it dries out completely?

Dammit Gfunk...what did you go and do that for....grrrrr....you are one of the better advice givers on this board....you know when crap works, and how to fix crap when it doesn't work....how you gonna do that with a wet Pre?

I'm giving you three slaps....one for dropping the pre in water....2 for trying to multitask as a human (you got WebOS for a brain?!), and three for not knowing yourself what to do when your Pre gets wet, being that once again, you give some of the better advice around here......

Oh....one more slap if you don't have TEP on your Pre....

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.....

PS- Sorry about your phone.
    I likey take apart thingies....
    Hope you didn't take that as a flame.....I'm just trying to make you smile a bit, on this they day of my daughters wed.....oh wait that was someone else that said that.
  11.    #11  
    Haha! No worries powerbyte! I deserve the ribbing for soaking my precious pre! The dang thing is sooo slippery! I think I will have to consider something like egrips now to prevent this from happening again. Also, I do have the Sprint TEP plan, but the deductible is $100 bucks and I would like to avoid paying that if possble...

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by PRZ View Post
    Soak in silicone as soon as possible
    where does one get silicone? I already have rice... the Pre is currently resting in a jar of basmati rice as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    where does one get silicone? I already have rice... the Pre is currently resting in a jar of basmati rice as we speak!
    You already soaked it in alcohol and it's in rice... forget about dipping it in any anything else and just hope for the best.

using alcohol is not a big deal... alcohol and distilled water helps with washing salts and minerals away if it were dropped in something like salt-water. If anything it may help rid the soap and any residue from it.

At this point you just hope it dries up really nice and try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    where does one get silicone?
    Ummmmmm....maybe from the girl in your avatar once she turns around...........

I'm sorry, I'm not being much help....I'll leave now.....

But first, I would really just bite the bullet and pay the $100.00. When it really comes down to it, unless you are an expert at water recovery on electronics, you are going to be disappointed in the end. It may be fine for a little while once it dries out, but you are opening yourself up to more problems in the future.

But it doesn't hurt to try it.....
    Dood! You failed me, I would have thought you knew the rice trick. Well glad to see your doing that, now we just play the waiting game. Oh as for having the Pre and doing dishes, it does help pass the boredom, but get a headset and stick that pre in your pocket next time
    funny tooo funny!!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Sorry no advice...I just wanted to say this makes me feel like the 1st time I saw "the agony of defeat."

FrankenPre2!!!
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Take the battery out.
    Heat the oven to 200 degrees for five mins.
    Turn off the oven. Keep your Pre inside.
    Make sure the temp is between 100 to 200.
    If its more , well you know what happens :-)
    This will dry it fast.
    If you are lucky you might get it back by morning.
    I can vouch for DampRid. It works really well to dry things out, almost TOO well.
    rice is all you need. I know of 2 people who have used this and are still using theeir phones with no problem 1 year later.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast