Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    @LocoTreoGurl, your better half probably needs to buy another battery off eBay or whatever. @Everyone else, I'm not doubting the alcohol method but there has got to be something even better then alcohol. (I'll google it, too lazy now). I work on aircrafts and aircraft components and alcohol, maybe just industrial kind, leaves a residue as well...
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    My hubby dropped his in the river two weeks ago...later that day it called everyone by itself opened apps by itself and so on. I removed the battery took a hair dryer to the back and then left it alone for a few hours. By the next day it was good as new. Hope yours is also.
    Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    ... @Everyone else, I'm not doubting the alcohol method but there has got to be something even better then alcohol. (I'll google it, too lazy now). I work on aircrafts and aircraft components and alcohol, maybe just industrial kind, leaves a residue as well...
    Thanks for the comment. I think it will be especially helpful for some of the electronics or chemest types here to do some googling and/or research on this topic when they get time. I also didn't feel the alcohol part is making total sense to me (but my knowledge in this area is limited). My understanding is that ions from the water left after evaporation can cause chemical reactions with the metal on the circuit board over time, but we should make sure "science" backs this up rather than "internet lore". Maybe this would be a good topic for MythBusters to address!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Do you know what most electronic wipes and cleaning solutions are composed of? isoprphyl alcohol and water usually in a 50/50 mix. also alcohol used to clean electronics... father-in-law works for 2-way research at Motorola and mentioned it the other day. Google "isoprophyl alcohol on electronics"
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Do you know what most electronic wipes and cleaning solutions are composed of? isoprphyl alcohol and water usually in a 50/50 mix. also alcohol used to clean electronics... father-in-law works for 2-way research at Motorola and mentioned it the other day. Google "isoprophyl alcohol on electronics"
    I learned something.
    Are there any waterproof or water resistant cases or covers for the Pre? I havenot used a case but after dropping it in the dog's water bowl I think I would like one for the replacement.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    My pre sat in water overnight and didn't know until the next day. I removed the battery and put everything in a bag of rice for a day and a half. (I'm not very patient.) Pluged it in and it came on after a couple minutes, but the keyboard doesn't work. Maybe another day it'll work, but I was thinking about taking it to the store and seeing if they will replace it with a new one. We'll see.... Does any1 think the keyboard will start working eventually?
    As of an hour ago I am a member of the "My Pre Went Swimming" club.. Quite glorious in hindsight.. Pre and TV remote on arm of sofa next to me, cup of water on floor next to sofa. Wife asks me to turn up the TV as I'm working on the laptop.. I go to grab the remote but knock it and the Pre off the arm of the couch instead. The Pre lands in the cup at the same time the remote knocks the cup over. Pre was still on when I retrieved it, but now it rests in a bag of brown rice until the morning......
    FML
    Quote Originally Posted by prubin View Post
    Are there any waterproof or water resistant cases or covers for the Pre? I havenot used a case but after dropping it in the dog's water bowl I think I would like one for the replacement.
    you can try keeping it in a ziploc bag.
    I dropped my Pre in the toilet (yuck) day before yesterday. To make things worse, Sprint had just replaced it a few days earlier because of a touchscreen issue. Anyway I pulled it out as fast as I could and pulled the battery. After wiping it dry i used a blow dryer on the cool setting for about 10 min on it and then buried it in a tupperware container full of rice for 36 hours. Today I put the battery back in and fired it up and its as good as new!
    I just dropped my phone in the water in vegas last weekend. For about 5 seconds and nothing was wrong with my phone.. It seems a little faster lol
    Hiya,

Rice works great on home wireless phones, so I see no reason why it would not work on the PRE!

We have a phone system in this house which consists of 9 wireless handsets and 1 base station. One handset went thru the washer, (don't ask, ) and rice saved it!

Open the battery compartment and take out the battery, then just bury in dry uncooked rice and leave it for 2 days. I put the battery in the rice as well. Then dump the rice in the trash and use your phone.

Take care, jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Rice works great on home wireless phones, so I see no reason why it would not work on the PRE!
    Entirely different level of complexity?
    It is certainly worth the effort, after all we are talking about 40 cents worth of rice. BTW if I remember correctly the person that posted the original issue of using rice to dry out electronics did it with a cell! take care, jay

PS here is the info and the link:

How to Save Your Wet Cellphone: Tech Clinic - Popularmechanics.com

Q: If I get my phone wet, what's the best way to bring it back to life?

A: Even if a wet cellphone seems dead, there's a good chance it can be resuscitated. Just make sure you act fast--the longer the water sits inside, the greater the likelihood it will destroy the phone for good.

This is a DIY moment. While consumers are conditioned to send back broken merchandise, your phone's warranty probably doesn't cover water damage. And you may not have much luck pulling a fast one on your phone company--most of today's phones come with a "water sticker" that permanently changes color if it gets wet.

The first step: Immediately cut the power by removing the battery. I know it's tempting, but resist the urge to power up your phone to see if it works--just turning it on can short out the circuits. If you have a GSM phone (the type used by AT&T and T-Mobile), you'll want to remove the SIM card as well. Even if your phone turns out to be beyond repair, the SIM should retain a lot of its onboard information, such as the contacts in your phone book.

With the battery safely set aside, you now have one goal--dry your phone, and dry it fast. If you let the moisture evaporate naturally, the chance of corrosion damaging the phone's innards increases. Instead, blow or suck the water out. But don't use a hair dryer--its heat can fry your phone's insides. Instead, opt for a can of compressed air, an air compressor set to a low psi or a vacuum cleaner (a wet/dry Shop-Vac would be perfect). The idea is to use air to push or pull moisture out through the same channels it entered.

Finally, use a desiccant to wick away any leftover moisture. The most convenient choice is uncooked rice. Just leave the phone (and its disconnected battery) submerged in a bowl of grains overnight. If you're worried about rice dust getting inside your phone, you can instead use the packets of silica gel that often come stuffed in the pockets of new clothes. But acting fast is far more important than avoiding a little dust, so don't waste time shopping if you don't already have a drawer full of silica gel.

The most important thing to remember is to avoid heat. That means no hair dryers, ovens, microwaves or extended periods in direct sunlight. While heat will certainly evaporate the moisture, it could also warp components and melt adhesives. Those fragile glues are also why you'll want to avoid dunking the phone in rubbing alcohol (an oftÂ*prescribed tip on the Web). Alcohol is a solvent and can dissolve the internal adhesives. (If you drop your phone in the toilet, it's okay to wipe the outside with alcohol to disinfect it.)

One final, perhaps surprising, note: If your phone gets soaked in salt water, you should probably flush the whole thing in fresh water before it dries. When salt water evaporates, it leaves crystals that can damage a phone's fragile components. Just be sure to remove the battery before flooding the device.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    OK I dropped my phone in the toilet. The good news is that it was before I did my biz and that it works perfecting fine now, even the battery life seem to be fine.

This was the second time it has fallen in water, the first when I feel in a pool with my kids. This time it was for only a few seconds and I knew what to do. Previously I only took out the battery, dried it off for about 15 minutes then tried to turn it on and nothing. I probably zapped it having it not been fully dried inside.

Because I read in forums about the rice trick, I knew what to do this time right away.

After drying it off immediately, I used a handheld vacuumed to suck out as much water as possible, and then used a H2O can to blow out whatever was left. Basically knew from the posts to try to get all the water out. Put in a tupperware with lid sunken in rice for 24 hours (though about waiting longer) and put that in my garage where the temp is about 90 these days.

Everything is just like before. Peace be with you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Also, I do have the Sprint TEP plan, but the deductible is $100 bucks and I would like to avoid paying that if possble...
    This is something I cannot figure out for the life of me. I've seen others post the same thing. Why in the world are you paying for TEP insurance but you don't use it because you don't want to pay the deductible?
    Who wants to waste $100 if they don't have to? If you can recover the phone, then why not put the $100 into something else? Not everyone has it to waste.

Dropped mine into the tub last night! Let it dry out and it's working well, except an occasional glitch.

Only problem I have is a ton of water marks on the screen, which really sucks, so it looks like I will be getting an insurance replacement on mine.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Who wants to waste $100 if they don't have to?
    Who wants to waste $7/month on insurance and not use it when they need to?

Despite what you read about the "magic rice" fixes, in most cases it's only temporary. Once electronic components get wet and aren't properly cleaned, corrosion sets in. It's only a matter of time (months maybe) before the device will start to show problems and ultimately fail. You might get lucky and have it work until the next phone comes out but it's a roll of the dice.

If you can recover the phone, then why not put the $100 into something else? Not everyone has it to waste.
    And yet they can waste $7 month on insurance?

Dropped mine into the tub last night! Let it dry out and it's working well, except an occasional glitch.

Only problem I have is a ton of water marks on the screen, which really sucks, so it looks like I will be getting an insurance replacement on mine.
    What??? You're going to waste $100 on a replacement phone? What are you thinking???
    ROFL!

I wasn't saying I am not willing to put the $100 in to it, I almost went ahead and just spent a lot more on something else, but changed my mind and cancelled it.

I was just trying to give reasons as to why someone else may not want to do so.

If I am going to pay for the danged insurance every month, then I am damn well going to use it, when needed.

I know myself and what I do to put my phones in danger, such as said tub excursion, that's why I insure them. I also have a teenager on my plan, so you can be certain his is insured, as well!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast