Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Hi everyone! So here's the update! As per all the great suggestions from all the wonderful Pre'ers here, I buried my Pre overnight in a bed of basmati rice to hopefully remove any moisture in the electronics of the device. I just popped in the battery to see if it would boot up and....WHAAALLLAAA!! It boots and works!

There is no screen distortion and I made a test call and it appears to function properly. The only thing so far that I have noticed is that the screen sensitivity to touch is VERY reduced now. It seems really hard to get any tap to register and I have to tap fairly hard and multiple times to get a response. That is too bad but hopefully that too may get better over time? Anyone have any further suggestions on how to fix the screen sensitivity issue?

Thanks alot of the rice suggestion. That seems to have worked. My Pre only swam for a few seconds, but at least it seems to be functioning overall minus the screen issue. Next time I'll just use my BT headset while doing the dishes...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  2.    #42  
    UPDATE: Another issue! Everything seems really slow as well... app launching, card view, closing cards, opening new apps all seem very slow now...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    even though it looks dry, 24 hours is pretty quick to be bone dry even in rice. guess the alcohol helped dissipate the water in the rapid drying . hopefully over time it will get a little better.
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    even though it looks dry, 24 hours is pretty quick to be bone dry even in rice. guess the alcohol helped dissipate the water in the rapid drying . hopefully over time it will get a little better.

I didn't use the alcohol suggestion. I was too scared that it would mess the electronic up so I figured I would just let it dry....

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    I didn't use the alcohol suggestion. I was too scared that it would mess the electronic up so I figured I would just let it dry....
    oh well. i'd let it dry a little longer.

also i later googled "phone wet alcohol"... even though i heard it on an iphone forum... as you can see, been used over all over.

good luck
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I would let it dry for another day or so. If you think it's slow, try doing a webosdoctor on it. You'll lose your stuff, but it may be your best bet. There's most likely something hardware related going on though.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    from what i have heard from a PALM rep is that the Tech's at the Sprint stores have not been trained to work on the PRE's. so if you take it back with problems they are to just swap them out ......
    Quote Originally Posted by gump666 View Post
    from what i have heard from a PALM rep is that the Tech's at the Sprint stores have not been trained to work on the PRE's. so if you take it back with problems they are to just swap them out ......
    yeah, if it looks clean... "squeaky clean" , just take it in and exchange it like everyone else has. I really doubt they would crack it open and look for the moisture sensor. kind of a dumb place to put one.

Of course if they tear it down at the factory to prep it as a refurb and see the sensor, they may come knocking down your door and beat the crap out of you.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    There is a wet sensor inside. I saw a teardown of the Pre on Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET that showed it. I think its close to either micro USB input or the chip...Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by percyg77 View Post
    There is a wet sensor inside. I saw a teardown of the Pre on Product reviews and prices, software downloads, and tech news - CNET that showed it. I think its close to either micro USB input or the chip...Just a heads up.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    UPDATE: Another issue! Everything seems really slow as well... app launching, card view, closing cards, opening new apps all seem very slow now...
    You might want to use the hair blower.
    Basically you need to get rid of the moisture.
    Try it, you might get it back to normal condition.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Moisture might affect the touchscreen sensitivity, but it wouldn't affect the speed of the processor. If it's working period, that's a good sign.

Let it dry another day to see if the touchscreen gets back to normal. Then if it's still slow, wipe it with webosdoctor.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I put my Treo in a baggie with rice on the dash of the car to help heat it up and dry it out faster. You might try that, it worked well for me.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by zpoettker View Post
    I would let it dry for another day or so. If you think it's slow, try doing a webosdoctor on it. You'll lose your stuff, but it may be your best bet. There's most likely something hardware related going on though.

I used Jason Robitallie's excellent webos repair utility to check for any webos discrepencies and fixed/restored whatever was detected, so I don't think the device slowness is related to any OS problems. There is definitely a reduced sensitivity to the touchscreen now. It must be due to the effects of moisture behind the screen perhaps...i dunno...

Also, thanks donm527 for posting that pic of the moisture detector. I didn't even know the Pre had such a sensor? Will the sensor eventually return back to normal or "default" if the Pre is eventually completely dried out over time, or does it just measure and save the moisture when wet?

if you are having touch issues you likely still have moisture under the screen between the digitizer and the lcd. You could also have soap from the dish water there causing issues.

having not been in one I am not sure how easily/possible it is to get into that area of the phone but that would be the only way to truly "fix" your issue.

Have had to do this numerous times on some touch panel LCD's I have at work when kids spill soda's on them. the liquid evaporates but leaves a layer of blech that kills the touch portion of the screen.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    The moisture sensor changes permanently. So you're probably screwed. If you have TEP it should be replaceable. Better bet is to forget it somewhere, let someone steal it, or run over it by accident, get really drunk forget where you lost it, just make sure you don't have any private info on it.
    my co-worker had the same problem with a treo centro (but it was dropped in a toilet) She immediately removed the battery and the next day, I helped her disassemble it. After 2 days disassembled, I put things back together, and it has worked great for 2 years.
    Yes, I'm thinking the same thing with moisture still clinging between the layer of lcd and touch screen and whatever crevices. 24 hours will dry up most the moisture but wont suck out the moisture between those layers immediately. I'd definitely remove the battery and give it more time in the rice.

And other person is right in that sensor change is usually permanent once it's wet... cause why bother having it if people dry it. The pic courtesy of the ifixit site I believe.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by osidak View Post
    if you are having touch issues you likely still have moisture under the screen between the digitizer and the lcd. You could also have soap from the dish water there causing issues.

having not been in one I am not sure how easily/possible it is to get into that area of the phone but that would be the only way to truly "fix" your issue.

Have had to do this numerous times on some touch panel LCD's I have at work when kids spill soda's on them. the liquid evaporates but leaves a layer of blech that kills the touch portion of the screen.
    Hi Gaurav,
    Sorry to hear that your river stone wanted to go where it thought it belonged. This post is just a bit about what water can do to electronics. I've just bought a motherboard to replace the one in my son's ThinkPad laptop. After his laptop stopped working recently I brought it to a local/authorized repair center. The tech took it apart for me and gave me the bad news that the laptop showed signs of "liquid damage". The indication was actually corrosion on the circuit board. I recall (EDIT: 5-12 months before) one time that H2O (from a drinking glass) was accidentally spilled on the computer. I told my son/wife about the rice trick but neither of them believed me and didn't do it, but the laptop eventually dried out withing 4 or 5 days. I had heard people say that alcohol was needed, but that part *I* chose not to believe (I guess my brain was thinking it would be too hard.) Well. the moral of the story is that even plain drinking water was enough to cause damage to the motherboard (less than a year later) wen the motherboard itself failed. I'm now a believer that some sort of alcohol treatment is necessary (as part of a liquid damage repair regimen) for long-term longevity.

Caution- I'm guessing you should try and research any effect that alcohol might have on the screen/digitizer. I recall reading that the screen and digitizer are two separately sourced components that are actually glued together and that the only way to replace them is as a unit. I'm thinking that prolonged exposure to alcohol might act as a solvent for this glue

Minimally, if I were you, I might consider re-soaking the pre in distilled water and then giving it an alcohol treatment. (I believe the alcohol will disolve with the water and then evaporate more cleanly.) Hopefully someone who is a scientist can chime in here indicate if any of my suggestions are on the right track. When I bring the new motherboard into the repair center this Friday, I'll ask the tech if he knows any treatments that work to avoid corrosion (and hopefully why too).

(and I know you will research and figure out the "proper" solution) Of course the problem with the internet is making reasoned judgments about what's correct and what people are just "making up". I know you are the king of solving problems like this. The good news is that you will also impart more authoritative answers to others in the future who later encounter the same problem!

good luck! -- Bob
    Last edited by sudoer; 09/23/2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: edits for clarity and breaking apart into paragraphs
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    The other half dropped his in a bucket of water about a week ago. After letting it dry for a day it was having multiple problems, but now is ok except for very short battery life. (He's traveling and I haven't seen it myself yet)
    Long Live Palm
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast