Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Other than someone preferring the virtual keyboard over the hard keyboard, I can't think of a reason why someone would want to use it over the hard keyboard. To type in landscape? Can someone give me an example of how someone could benefit using the virtual keyboard?

Thanks
    There is no spoon
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    The short answer is that it's usually easier to type messages on a webpage in landscape mode rather than portrait mode.

You also don't need to slide out the slider, keeping the phone's compact form.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    Other than someone preferring the virtual keyboard over the hard keyboard, I can't think of a reason why someone would want to use it over the hard keyboard. To type in landscape? Can someone give me an example of how someone could benefit using the virtual keyboard?

Thanks
    I don't have the VBK yet, I am waiting until after 1.2.

But I can see where it would be very handy in landscape mode.
    It would be a good benefit if it was turned on automatically. It is real buggy right now. I can't get the new one to install. I keep getting errors. Sad thing is I don't think palm will implement one. I don't think it will be high on the priority list
    don't know about you, but i enjoy options...
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    If Palm doesn't release an official one I hope there is an app down the line that adds one to the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanreck View Post
    If Palm doesn't release an official one I hope there is an app down the line that adds one to the phone.
    what? you don't like the one now?
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    I think it is good for quick replys where you really don't need to type alot.
  9. JRH
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by awrnsmn View Post
    I think it is good for quick replys where you really don't need to type alot.
    +1
    Tapping a screen is must quieter that pressing buttons when you are in a quiet atmosphere. I sometimes don't want people to know I am typing on my phone.

Plus responding to a simple text without sliding out the keyboard is sometimes useful. Especially in one hand operation.
    It was the same story with the G1, where arguably a physical keyboard is one of its selling points, the most demanded feature was a virtual keyboard. Every time I tried to use it I got busy correcting typos.

Maybe people don't like being locked into a feature that defines the device.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    It comes in handy for typing short things or typing in landscape mode. If I am typing anything more than a few words a definately prefer the hardware keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post

Thanks
    Just shaking my head wow... trying NOT to say anything bad... counting to ten... taking a deep breath... counting to ten again....... i'm trying... i'm trying... I need ur support guys, this guy can't think of a reason to have a V-KyBrd..... taking another deep breath.... really trying.....
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 09/22/2009 at 04:33 PM.
    I actually barely put the virtual keyboard on my Pre today. Was to lazy to do it before = - /. Anyway I was playing around with it and didn't see it as exceptionally useful. The hardware keyboard is better IMO. I heard people saying it was useful for when a message comes in and not having to open the keypad. Yet I find the slight boot up time for the virtual keypad taking longer then it takes me to slide the phone and start typing on the hardware keypad. It's not my thing but I can see how it would be useful for people accustomed to them.
    I will say it again but the biggest use for me is silent typing. I don't know how many times I have been in meetings and something urgent comes up and I don't want everyone to hear me typing during periods of silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    I actually barely put the virtual keyboard on my Pre today.
    How do you barely install it? I am actually laughing about this. Funny to me. Probably only me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    How do you barely install it? I am actually laughing about this. Funny to me. Probably only me.

By BARELY putting it on today? Missing something?
    i never understood the need either, but looks like the only valid reason is yeh to type in landscape
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayix312 View Post
    By BARELY putting it on today? Missing something?
    Aha, the word order was playing with my mind. Cool.
    life and tech is about choices, why not give those who want the choice of having it the choice of having it, and why would it bother anyone who doesnt want it that someone else wants it?

I never really understand posts that gripe or even bring up why somone else wants a feature on THEIR phone.

If you dont want the VKB great, dont get it and dont be mad or confused at me if I want it. I am glad there are developers who are willing to provide it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast