Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I would prefer to view my websites in landscape, I would also like to not have to slide out the physical keyboard in portrait to go to a different website. that is all
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Coming from an HTC touch which I loved mostly because of the size of the thing, I am personally right fed up with virtual keyboards. And oh yeah, the only value I saw in TouchFlo was the picture dialer screen, but Quick Contacts emulates that nicely.

Now I have a Pre that is almost exactly the same size, shape and weight as the Touch but also has a real keyboard. I do not anticipate loading the virtual keyboard, but I wouldn't presume to tell someone else that they shouldn't.

One thing I miss about the Touch is the rubberized finish. It NEVER slid out of my shirt pocket. My pre has done that twice now before I bought my geeky belt case.
    I think it's great that homebrewers can work on this instead of Palm. The Android team wasted effort on bringing it to the G1 because everyone was screaming for it.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    I installed it...I didn't like it. It took me longer to fix my mistakes than it would have to just type using the keyboard in the first place. Flipping the physical keyboard down doesn't take me that long, I can type really fast with it, and I don't make many mistakes using it. I am not a fan of the virtual keyboard- it bugs me to have so little of the screen available when it's on the screen, it's not nearly as accurate (or, rather, I'm not nearly as accurate a typist when I'm using it), it's not as responsive as I would like, etc. But it's a good option to have for those that like it. I agree with some others above that it's probably a good thing that Palm didn't focus its efforts on the vkb. On the other hand, I'm thankful to the homebrewers that are working on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    The short answer is that it's usually easier to type messages on a webpage in landscape mode rather than portrait mode.

You also don't need to slide out the slider, keeping the phone's compact form.

plus crummy buttons are too small on the pre
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    In my experience it is vey useful to have the virtual keyboard with one handed use . While using the Pre one handed trying to slide it open it is very easy tor for the phone to slide out of your hand , therefore thevirtual keyboard would be useful.. that is what the question was for correct ? Not an opinion , but a need .
    I didn't really like it either. I usually look at websites in landscape with the keyboard open, in order to use the cool "page up/down" and "goto top / bottom" tweaks. Then it's a simple thing to turn the Pre to type.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Tapping a screen is must quieter that pressing buttons when you are in a quiet atmosphere. I sometimes don't want people to know I am typing on my phone.

Plus responding to a simple text without sliding out the keyboard is sometimes useful. Especially in one hand operation.

Change the keyboard sound to vibrate, then you can type almost silently.

Although I do love the VK.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Obviously all opinion, but I just prefer the physical keyboard. Using the browser in landscape mode would be useful, but when it requires a onscreen keyboard I'm going to have to pass more times then not. I have the Pre and an iPhone (work phone) and I hate that stupid keyboard on the iPhone. I've heard complaints about the auto-correction features of the Pre, and how they don't compare to the iPhone, but honestly that is because you can't even begin to use the iPhone without something helping you through the process. It's highly frustrating.

But like most things, having the option would be the best approach. I don't want to have to use it, nor would I often, but the ability to use a physical keyboard or an onscreen keyboard would be an advantage over most devices.
    I think it's time for a virtual keyboard sub-forum.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Tapping a screen is must quieter that pressing buttons when you are in a quiet atmosphere. I sometimes don't want people to know I am typing on my phone.
    If someone is watching you they are going to know you are typing or have a major problem with your touchscreen if you are making that many presses on the touchscreennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Quote Originally Posted by mandystreasures View Post
    Change the keyboard sound to vibrate, then you can type almost silently.

Although I do love the VK.
    I'm not too sure I understand what you are getting at. Using the virtual keyboard when the ringer switch is in the silent position allows me to type silently. In certain situations the physical keyboard button presses are loud enough to be noticed, hence not silent.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    If someone is watching you they are going to know you are typing or have a major problem with your touchscreen if you are making that many presses on the touchscreennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Touche, but only if they are watching me. A lot of times they aren't. Or if I'm in a seminar or class. It annoys people to no end (me included) to hear a bunch of clicking when I'm texting or emailing someone. That's why a virtual keyboard is nice. Completely silent. No clicking.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123