Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    To be honest, it's all about options. If you don't want the VKB, jut simply don't get it. I find it very usefull when I get a text message and I only have to give a short reply. Also we all know about the quality of the phone, so if I don't have to slide it open all the time, the longer it will stay firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Just shaking my head wow... trying NOT to say anything bad... counting to ten... taking a deep breath... counting to ten again....... i'm trying... i'm trying... I need ur support guys, this guy can't think of a reason to have a V-KyBrd..... taking another deep breath.... really trying.....
    That's funny!

To answer the question...
    1. Quick text to someone
    2. Quick answer to an email
    3. Look up a number to call

Anytime when I need to type just a bit anddon't want to open the keyboard.

The landscape keyboard is actually bigger and easier to use than the slide out keyboard.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    That's funny!

1. Quick text to someone

The landscape keyboard is actually bigger and easier to use than the slide out keyboard.

- Craig
    thank you thank you
    The virtual keyboard will prolong the slider mechanism of your phone, because you will hardly need to slide out your keyboard anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    The virtual keyboard will prolong the slider mechanism of your phone, because you will hardly need to slide out your keyboard anymore.
    Then why a Pre? Why carry a device with half the size dedicated to a slider keyboard if you'd rather use a virtual keyboard? That's the mystery.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Then why a Pre? Why carry a device with half the size dedicated to a slider keyboard if you'd rather use a virtual keyboard? That's the mystery.
    Where's the mystery? If ur viewing something (like this forum) in landscape, why should u have to do circus flips with the phone to swing it around and slide open the slider just so you can type something like ... +1 ?
    all i'm saying is that it will PROLONG the slide mechanism..i did not say it will eliminate the need. I don't know about you, but i want my keyboard to still look sturdy after about a years use. Plus it also brings about a variety in the phone, and will appeal to both parties (people who prefer on screen keyboards, and people who prefer the slide-out keyboard). It is also beneficial if you want to quickly jot down something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    That's funny!

1. Quick text to someone

- Craig
    i dont know why its funny
    and the topic is a good topic, because all u listed can be done with the physical keyboard, quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    +1000
  10. hae
    Where's the mystery? If ur viewing something (like this forum) in landscape, why should u have to do circus flips with the phone to swing it around and slide open the slider just so you can type something like ... +1 ?
    This. It's convenient to have a soft keyboard available since the screen rotations are a little slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabigappledadon View Post
    all i'm saying is that it will PROLONG the slide mechanism..i did not say it will eliminate the need. I don't know about you, but i want my keyboard to still look sturdy after about a years use. Plus it also brings about a variety in the phone, and will appeal to both parties (people who prefer on screen keyboards, and people who prefer the slide-out keyboard). It is also beneficial if you want to quickly jot down something.
    i mean unless you keep your Pre 94years, i dont believe that under normal usage your Pre will last longer than mine just because you use the virtual keyboard sometimes. Plus if it breaks so what, go get a new one under sprint fix it plan

BUt as i already stated typing in landscape mode is the only plausible reason i could see having the virutal keyboard
    I'm not a fan of typing onscreen, but thought it might be nice to have and use while my Pre is on the Touchstone. It's awkward to type even a quick text there without picking it up.

But I don't even like typing in phone numbers onscreen, so I doubt I'd actually use it in the end. Plus it takes up too much screen.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    94 years...lmao. It is nice just for quick, SHORT replys. I would not do alot of typing on it though. I don't think I consider it a must have, but is very nice to have. emoney did a very good job of making this for us, maybe you don't feel you need it, but I don't think anyone should take away from others and emoney's hard work with this. If YOU don't want it, don't get it, others including myself enjoy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter600 View Post
    i mean unless you keep your Pre 94years, i dont believe that under normal usage your Pre will last longer than mine just because you use the virtual keyboard sometimes. Plus if it breaks so what, go get a new one under sprint fix it plan

BUt as i already stated typing in landscape mode is the only plausible reason i could see having the virutal keyboard
    Even the landscape typing is really more of a workaround. Palm needs to make textarea elements fit the page. Right now you have to zoom out so far that the text is illegible. But this is something Palm should fix, instead of people resorting to a virtual keyboard.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Maybe it means you should type something more substantial
  16.    #36  
    Just shaking my head wow... trying NOT to say anything bad... counting to ten... taking a deep breath... counting to ten again....... i'm trying... i'm trying... I need ur support guys, this guy can't think of a reason to have a V-KyBrd..... taking another deep breath.... really trying.....

I dont understand the need for all the drama. I think some people are taking this personally. I have never used a VKB myself and i dont see the need. Apparently alot of other people do so I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Hense the thread
    There is no spoon
  17. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I'm with the OP. It takes next to no effort to slide the keyboard out (I would contend that it takes the same amount of effort to call up the onscreen keyboard as it does to slide open the hardware one), and the typing experience is vastly better with the hardware keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knee Dragger View Post
    I dont understand the need for all the drama. I think some people are taking this personally. I have never used a VKB myself and i dont see the need. Apparently alot of other people do so I wanted to see if there was something I was missing. Hense the thread
    I'm not taking it personally. But maybe you should try a VKB. You might like it. Don't knock it till you try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    I'm with the OP. It takes next to no effort to slide the keyboard out (I would contend that it takes the same amount of effort to call up the onscreen keyboard as it does to slide open the hardware one), and the typing experience is vastly better with the hardware keyboard.
    +1. I have no problems with the slide out keyboard and prefer it because I use the Pre one handed quite a bit.

I have the virtual keyboard installed a never use it. Even in landscape I just switch the phone to portrait and use the regular keyboard. The accelerometer is so fast it takes less and a second.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I'm not taking it personally. But maybe you should try a VKB. You might like it. Don't knock it till you try it.
    So why not get an iPhone or Hero/MyTouch?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast