Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    If you are on your 8th Pre, I commend you for sticking with this phone.

Hopefully this will be your last exchange! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If you're on your 8th Pre, the phone just isn't for you. Chances are you're being too picky...
    ...I tried the Touch Pro, and went through 6 of them before giving up.
    So, you are saying YOU are too picky? Or, are you a hypocrite?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    So, you are saying YOU are too picky? Or, are you a hypocrite?
    No, my standards were too high. EVERY Touch Pro and Diamond had the same issue--where the outer areas of the touchscreen where much less sensitive--as they changed the design from the original Touch--which worked flawlessly to the edges with minimul force.

I am picky--which is why I eventually took the phone back for a refund, within my 30-day window. There is no way in hell I would keep a phone with that many problems outside of that timeframe.

Anyone that is having THAT many issues with their Pre, and didn't get a refund before the deadline is questionable in my book... seriously, sometimes luck just is not in your favor. Perhaps you will get a perfect one, but I doubt it. My current Pre has like 10 pixels that are weird colors whenever my screen is black... I am not taking it back, because I have no oreo, and no splotches on the screen... hardly noticable--but yes it bothers me, I am a perfectionist. I just knew when to throw in the towel, (for now,) and WebOS is worth it in my eyes.

We all knew we what were were getting into with the Pre... essentially beta-level hardware. This has been widely known, and accepted since the beginning. If you didn't know that, you didn't do you homework.

Disclaimer: 'you' meaning generally-speaking.
    no 'Thanks'
    Anyone that is having THAT many issues with their Pre, and didn't get a refund before the deadline is questionable in my book
    Sweet. I'm not questionable then. Only had 2 within my 30 day window.
    We all knew we what were were getting into with the Pre... essentially beta-level hardware. This has been widely known, and accepted since the beginning. If you didn't know that, you didn't do you homework.
    I completely disagree with this. How in the world were we supposed to know that there was beta-level hardware associated with this? I can see it on the software side, but hardware?!? Come on. Especially if you bought it on launch day. The only hint of "beta-level" hardware was that the company making it was having a hard time. To me, all that means is that Palm is receiving fewer numbers but the quality will still be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by bpdamas View Post
    Sweet. I'm not questionable then. Only had 2 within my 30 day window.

I completely disagree with this. How in the world were we supposed to know that there was beta-level hardware associated with this? I can see it on the software side, but hardware?!? Come on. Especially if you bought it on launch day. The only hint of "beta-level" hardware was that the company making it was having a hard time. To me, all that means is that Palm is receiving fewer numbers but the quality will still be good.
    There were reports of questionable hardware build even on launch day. If you bought anytime after 10am, June 6th, 2009, there's really no excuse, unless you were still waiting in line. It was posted everywhere. Palm dropped the ball on QC, big time. Almost as bad as HTC. Funny thing is, people were very excited that HTC was not going to make the Pre for Palm--but in the long-run, it turned out about the same.

Oh well.
    no 'Thanks'
    Even if you didn't know before you bought the first one--you surely knew after the first one, and second--etc... I don't feel bad for people still not happy after a 30-day, no questions, money-back gaurantee.

I'm happy with my crappy Pre, solely because of WebOS.
    no 'Thanks'
    The acceptance of the fact this is beta level really shows why palm is selling a bunch of phones. Why wasn't it advertised that way. Sprint says it should be assumed that it will have problems. I didn't see that written anywhere on any advertising by sprint or palm. People are just living with the issues. That doesn't make it right.

I didn't buy a beta when I got my phone so why should I expect a beta. Am I missing something here. I love what the phone can do but the harware is unacceptable...period. People will say get another phone. I shouldn't have to. I am planning on getting the hero when it drops mainly because of the issues. Webos is better than sliced bread but....

The next time I buy a phone I will make sure to ask if it is a beta. Maybe I can get paid to buy it like beta testers do.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    The acceptance of the fact this is beta level really shows why palm is selling a bunch of phones. Why wasn't it advertised that way. Sprint says it should be assumed that it will have problems. I didn't see that written anywhere on any advertising by sprint or palm. People are just living with the issues. That doesn't make it right.

I didn't buy a beta when I got my phone so why should I expect a beta. Am I missing something here. I love what the phone can do but the harware is unacceptable...period. People will say get another phone. I shouldn't have to. I am planning on getting the hero when it drops mainly because of the issues. Webos is better than sliced bread but....

The next time I buy a phone I will make sure to ask if it is a beta. Maybe I can get paid to buy it like beta testers do.
    Good luck on the Hero. Reports claim it's slower than molasses, and being built by HTC pretty much guarantees a permanent 'beta' status, in hardware AND software.

You just have to pick the lesser evil. Right now, the Pre just kicks more *** than the other phones on the market.. the right combination. If you took away the keyboard from the Pre, I wouldn't have even taken two glances at it.
    no 'Thanks'

Disclaimer: 'you' meaning generally-speaking.
    This is not meant to be personal so please don't take it as such.

I disagree with this.

Palm/Sprint/Bell's pricing is still competitive with other phones/packages and a lot of marketing moolah went into advertising this phone. That doesn't happen without a lot of research and manufacturer/reseller confidence.

In any market, a consumer expects that similar products that cost approximately the same are going to have similar features and quality. The market will enforce this easily enough as a high-priced item that isn't perceived to be competitive will just not sell as expected and either be discontinued or the price dropped (which could also result in the product being discontinued if the new price isn't enough to not become a liability which brings back the point of the research mentioned above).

I am filled with hope that a lot of people are still on their first Pre and not having any issues with the hardware. It's also very difficult to ignore stories about people having to return and exchange multiple times. I myself am waiting for my second Pre after my screen decided to crack overnight and trust me, Bell Mobility definitely doesn't consider this to be "beta-level hardware" with the hassle I'm going through with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feud View Post
    This is not meant to be personal so please don't take it as such.

I disagree with this.

Palm/Sprint/Bell's pricing is still competitive with other phones/packages and a lot of marketing moolah went into advertising this phone. That doesn't happen without a lot of research and manufacturer/reseller confidence.

In any market, a consumer expects that similar products that cost approximately the same are going to have similar features and quality. The market will enforce this easily enough as a high-priced item that isn't perceived to be competitive will just not sell as expected and either be discontinued or the price dropped (which could also result in the product being discontinued if the new price isn't enough to not become a liability which brings back the point of the research mentioned above).

I am filled with hope that a lot of people are still on their first Pre and not having any issues with the hardware. It's also very difficult to ignore stories about people having to return and exchange multiple times. I myself am waiting for my second Pre after my screen decided to crack overnight and trust me, Bell Mobility definitely doesn't consider this to be "beta-level hardware" with the hassle I'm going through with them.
    Oh I never said the carriers would charge us "beta-level" prices... I'm simply saying we knew this phone had major hardware issues... if you were following the Pre as close as most of us, you would have known about all sorts of problems.

For Bell users, it's a bit different, because supposedly the hardware has tightened-up a bit for their launch, but I don't expect miracles.

The way I see it, Sprint has great insurance/warranty programs. If mine breaks again, I'll get it swapped. I am looking forward to the Pre2, or whatever they decide to call it. This hardware is disappointing, but overall, even with the hardware, it's still the best damn phone out there, and I've used a lot of phones.
    no 'Thanks'
    Good luck on the Hero. Reports claim it's slower than molasses, and being built by HTC pretty much guarantees a permanent 'beta' status, in hardware AND software.

You just have to pick the lesser evil. Right now, the Pre just kicks more *** than the other phones on the market.. the right combination. If you took away the keyboard from the Pre, I wouldn't have even taken two glances at it.
    Those are older reviews that your seeing. Pull up youtube and type sprint hero and you will see what reviewers are saying. Htc has more android phones than any other company at the time.

Don't get me wrong I like the pre but I am just let down by the hardware. I am not bashing it by any means.
    I feel bad for those who have had multiple returns with the Pre. My gf and I are both happy owners of ours since July! No issues.
    There were reports of questionable hardware build even on launch day. If you bought anytime after 10am, June 6th, 2009, there's really no excuse, unless you were still waiting in line. It was posted everywhere. Palm dropped the ball on QC, big time. Almost as bad as HTC. Funny thing is, people were very excited that HTC was not going to make the Pre for Palm--but in the long-run, it turned out about the same.

Oh well.
    Sweet. Bought mine 8 am on launch day. Guess I am screwed.
    I have a question for some of you that have a refurb.

If I get a refurb and it turns out to be a dud. Can I call palm and get them to do a rapid exchange for a new one. Or do I lose my warranty once I switch to a refurb. This is my biggest concern with that 400 deposit.

I don't want them to reject my return and then I am stuck paying 430 for a new one. People at palm have such a language barrier that they can't understand my question. Repeating it three times got me the wrong answer each time

If I get a refurb and it turns out to be a dud. Can I call palm and get them to do a rapid exchange for a new one. Or do I lose my warranty once I switch to a refurb. This is my biggest concern with that 400 deposit.

I don't want them to reject my return and then I am stuck paying 430 for a new one. People at palm have such a language barrier that they can't understand my question. Repeating it three times got me the wrong answer each time
    Do you have the full $7 insurance? If so, you should be able to get a brand-new replacement in the store if they don't have any refurbs. It depends on the circumstance, but I went through 5 Touch, 2 Touch Diamond, and 6 Touch Pro phones, and they always gave me a brand-new one. Same for my singular Pre replacement.

That alone is worth the insurance in my eyes... I'll be damned if I end up with a phone that doesn't work as I expect it. I also feel bad for those with Pre's that do not work well for them.
    no 'Thanks'
    I don't have insurace and when I asked the rep at sprint for other alternatives, he said there are none. He can't give me a new one and they have to order a refurb. My latest is coming tomorrow. Once I get and answer to the above question I will decide what to do.

I am guessing that the warranty carries over to whatever phone you end up with. The refurb should be no different since it comes from palm
    I don't have insurace and when I asked the rep at sprint for other alternatives, he said there are none. He can't give me a new one and they have to order a refurb. My latest is coming tomorrow. Once I get and answer to the above question I will decide what to do.

I am guessing that the warranty carries over to whatever phone you end up with. The refurb should be no different since it comes from palm
    No insurance=SOL.

Best protection policy in the entire industry--hands-down, and always has been. Used to be better when the co-pay was only $25, though.

Part of the 'insurance,' is Sprint helping you with the manufacturer's warranty--IE, getting it swapped out in store, etc. It's an insurance+convience fee, basically.

/just in case some people didn't know...
    no 'Thanks'
    TEP is only primarily there for lost or stolen. The warranty with palm is covered by sprint. They have to honor the warranty for 1 year past the purchase date. Once the warranty is over, that is where TEP is valuable. Unless you drop or lose your phone, you are wasting your money, for the first year atleast.
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 09/24/2009 at 05:30 PM.

My 2nd/3rd/4th were refurbs; the service rep said that the warranty restarted the day that I got it in the mail. The 5th (and soon the 6th) were brand new.

Again, keep in mind that I got mine directly from Palm. Not sure that that would make a difference, though.

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    Beta level software is one thing, but there's no excuse for shoddy hardware. Palm's been in this industry long enough where there should be no excuses for this.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast