Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    For all those who say I should just buy another phone retail, please by all means mail me a check and I will gladly do so. I'm a grad student on my own I don't have money to buy a new phone everytime I get the urge.

Also, maybe returning Pres may be everyone elses hobby, but gas doesn't grow on trees for me
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katsnuts View Post
    I took my first one back to the store because of deal pixels. When I tried to take #2 back because of light leaking and BAD Oreo, they told me I had to go to a store with a technician. Ok, I did. The tech then told me that there is not enough of a problem with it for a second replacement. I dont understand how some people can have 8 different phones, but Sprint tells me that the defect is "not a bad enough defect" to warrant a replacement.

My Oreo gets worse every week and the light leaking is now in 2 places.

Suggestions on how to get throught to them?

Thanks.
    JB
    Ask to speak with a manager at the store.
    Well. No luck with number 6. I will be going back for number 7. This refurb looks like it went through hell to get to me. Obvious oreo, power button does not really bounce out, and the battery compartment is bent and twisted. I am not too sure why these phones are getting sent out like this. I am getting more and more frustrated.
    I'm on my 5th Pre myself (6th is on it's way supposedly). Granted, three of them were rejected replacements that I immediately sent back (one had a broken space bar, the other had a gap so large I could lay a toothpick inside it).

The chronology goes like this :

#1 - Launch day Pre - developed a crack by the USB door 7 weeks after launch.
    #2 - 1st Sprint replacement - came with a broken space bar - sent back immediately.
    #3 - 2nd Sprint replacement - perfect mechanically - shortly after getting the phone it began kicking me out of my Palm profile. Palm support said they wanted to swap it.
    #4 - 1st replacement from Palm - NEW IN BOX - came with a huge black mark on the screen - immediately sent back.
    #5 - 2nd replacement from Palm - NEW IN BOX - came with a gigantic gap between the two halves of the phone. I could actually see the inner workings of the phone. Sent back.
    #6 - 3rd replacement from Palm - forthcoming.

My saga continues!
    Quote Originally Posted by themirthfulswami View Post
    I'm on my 5th Pre myself (6th is on it's way supposedly). Granted, three of them were rejected replacements that I immediately sent back (one had a broken space bar, the other had a gap so large I could lay a toothpick inside it).

The chronology goes like this :

#1 - Launch day Pre - developed a crack by the USB door 7 weeks after launch.
    #2 - 1st Sprint replacement - came with a broken space bar - sent back immediately.
    #3 - 2nd Sprint replacement - perfect mechanically - shortly after getting the phone it began kicking me out of my Palm profile. Palm support said they wanted to swap it.
    #4 - 1st replacement from Palm - NEW IN BOX - came with a huge black mark on the screen - immediately sent back.
    #5 - 2nd replacement from Palm - NEW IN BOX - came with a gigantic gap between the two halves of the phone. I could actually see the inner workings of the phone. Sent back.
    #6 - 3rd replacement from Palm - forthcoming.

My saga continues!
    We're in a heated race that I don't think either of us are winning at. If I keep up this bad luck I will have gone through 48 phones for the life of my contract. That is depressing. I have never had an issue like this with any phone. I actually have never had to replace a phone before due to hardware issues. Oh well.
    8th!!!!!!!!
    I'm still on my first!
    hope i didn't just jinxed myself (crossing fingers)
    I'm now on my 5th Pre... the original one had a cracked case and the oreo effect going for it. The next three were refurbs with problems ranging from dead pixels (which was the main problem with all of them except the first one) to the wi-fi not working. The newest one was a brand new one from Palm Corporate (had to do this all through Palm since I got the phone directly from them), and it had the most dead pixels of them all.

With the exception of the first one, I never kept the replacement phone for more than a few days; just long enough to test it out.

I'm still not giving up hope; I'm still using the original Pre (it's still going working for now) until they send me one that works and has a good screen. I'm really not that picky, either... but for a multi-media phone, I don't want to have to keep looking at all these little dots while I'm web surfing/watching a movie, etc.

Not to mention that they're throwing their money away on whoever is "refurbing" their phones. o_O

"I wish my lawn were goth, so it would cut itself." -unknown
    1+ above...amen to that. What a waste. I think half of them leave before even being looked at. The one I saw today was heavily used and wouldn't turn on.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    1+ above...amen to that. What a waste. I think half of them leave before even being looked at. The one I saw today was heavily used and wouldn't turn on.
    I thought the same thing... even the customer service rep I spoke with said that they should have had fixing them "figured out be now."

Come to think of it, didn't Palm say that the Pre was an exchange-only device?

Think I read Palm has shipped 850,000 pre's

to bad they only have about 1000 actual customers

Damn I am glad I did not end up with this phone. Waiting for the Hero to land - If it turns out to be a good phone I will be leaving Palm behind. Sick of them walking away from customers 800w/Treo Pro and putting phones that had no business being sold yet on the market.
    -Treo 650 | 700wx | Centro | 800w | Treo Pro
    If you're on your 8th Pre, the phone just isn't for you. Chances are you're being too picky, except for the obvious cracking and failures, but I tried the Touch Pro, and went through 6 of them before giving up. Problems from uneven touch-screen recognition, peeling buttons, overheating, etc... they ALL had some issues, and you had to decide if you wanted to deal with it or not.

The Pre is not perfect and has many issues. You have to decide to deal with it or not--essentially.
    no 'Thanks'
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    So last night my pre fell victim to the infamous screen cracking, the touch screen wouldn't work at all..went into the sprint store, they wanted me to wait for a replacement but I use my phone for business calls, so they spoke to the manager and got a new one out of the box. Kudos to Sprint, and I hope this 8th one is a charm!!!
    Eight??!!?? Man, the employees at the Sprint store must roll their eyes when you walk in!
    Hmm, I have 3 pre's. I've had 2 since launch and 1 for a month for a total of 3 pre's in my family. My son's a heavy user and has had zero problems, My wife and I zero as well. Something isn't right here??? You are either the unluckiest person in the world or you must be responsible. Either way, it seems as though the pre is not for you. If you'd like you could sell me number 8 at cost and I'll take it off your hands and give it to my other son. PM if interested, thanks...
    Usually I would say 8 replacements of anything is excessive, but I've owned the Pre for less than two months and I'm on my 4th. I'm not the type to return a gadget for dead pixels or mild cosmetic issues, but I use my phone for business and it HAS to function.

Pre 1: It would randomly restart itself. It had the problem of restarting when closing the slider as well. Also had a pretty bad case of Oreo. After having the phone restart and cause me to miss an important call, I decided to get it replaced at Best Buy.
    Pre 2: Best Buy gave me a new one. Looked great, worked awesome, perfect slider - for about two weeks. Then the power button malfunctioned and it started asking me every 30 seconds if I wanted to turn it off. It was unusuable. Went to the sprint store the same day and had it replaced.
    Pre 3: Got a refurbished unit. Started signing me out of Palm backup and making me restart once every few days. Would lose all my txts, contact cross references and bookmarks every time. Took it back.
    Pre 4: Great slider, great screen, no problems so far. The reception is slightly worse than the others, but I can live with it. Knocking on wood pretty hard.
    I hope a hardware revision of the Pre is in the works for next year. It could use it.
    I think I'm up to about 7 or 8, haven't really been counting. The last four or so have been from Palm because Sprint's customer service has been less than helpful. The keyboard on my last Pre stopped working, and the Sprint rep at the corporate store where I purchased it, told me they would have to order one as opposed to just swapping it out with one of the refurbs they had in the store. He claimed they couldn't just swap it out because of some Pre specific activation that wouldn't let him do it.

Palm has been more than helpful in getting me a working Pre, granted I had to do the initial $29.99 + $400 deposit; but every subsequent swap has been at no cost.
    That deposit is what stopped me. That deposit is too much and I don't want a hold for that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If you're on your 8th Pre, the phone just isn't for you. Chances are you're being too picky, except for the obvious cracking and failures, but I tried the Touch Pro, and went through 6 of them before giving up. Problems from uneven touch-screen recognition, peeling buttons, overheating, etc... they ALL had some issues, and you had to decide if you wanted to deal with it or not.

The Pre is not perfect and has many issues. You have to decide to deal with it or not--essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by notaphonegeek View Post
    Hmm, I have 3 pre's. I've had 2 since launch and 1 for a month for a total of 3 pre's in my family. My son's a heavy user and has had zero problems, My wife and I zero as well. Something isn't right here??? You are either the unluckiest person in the world or you must be responsible. Either way, it seems as though the pre is not for you. If you'd like you could sell me number 8 at cost and I'll take it off your hands and give it to my other son. PM if interested, thanks...
    I disagree with the fact that these could be because people are too picky. I am soon to be on my 7th and I could have probably only kept one of them.

1. Proximity sensor failed
    2. Excessive dead pixels
    3. Extreme light leakage making certain apps unusable
    4. Light leakage and dead pixels
    5. Dead pixels (this is the one I probably could have kept since it only had 4 dead pixels)
    6. Bad oreo, broken on/off button, and only 1 dead pixel
    7. Coming on Friday

Also, I have done absolutely nothing for these things to happen. I have completely babied my phone and take extreme care of it. Most of the phones I have only had for 3 or 4 days or so. I had #1 for 6 days starting on June 6th. #2 was probably the best and then just starting exploding with dead pixels. I had that one for about a month and a half. The rest are 3 or 4 day benders when I am waiting for another replacement to come from sprint. I must be the unluckiest person when it comes to this phone. However, I have taken back these phones to the sprint store and every single one they would say something like "yeah, you definitely should get another one, we'll order one for you". So, there are definitely issues with the build quality. I have never had to ever return a phone for something that went wrong with the hardware. That includes any smartphone I have had.

@notaphonegeek, I don't know if I want to sell my Pre but I will gladly set up a trade for one of the perfect ones you have. Let me know.
    that amount of deposit is tough to swallow when you have a problem with the phone and your still under warranty. And Palm is fully aware there are issues with their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbritt31 View Post
    im not, I never have a replacement long enough for it even get a scratch. i just have really bad luck with electronics this summer then, I've had my macbook trackpad and display go out in just this last month.

Yea... do you live like under powerlines or something? Is someone launching EMP gernades through your windows?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast