Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm not going to try and turn this into another cross-platform chat-bnound thread, but the appearance of the HTC Hero on Sprint has made me re-evaluate the way I use the Pre. I saw the seven home screens with running widgets for Twitter, weather, music, and contacts (among other things) all running smoothly and simultaneously.

I usually only keep 1-2 cards up at a time on my Pre, but it is very appealing that the Hero keeps all of this stuff at hand, so I decided - as an experiment - to try and mirror the HTC Sense interface with WebOS cards. I know widgets are not an exact 1:1 with apps, but close enough...

Anyway, this morning, I opened Tweed, Where's weather page, and left up browser windows on Welcome to Facebook | Facebook and one on the main bookmarks page. I didn't bother with Sprint NFL apps, music, or contacts even though the Hero displays all of them apparently seamlessly as well.

It worked fine for a few hours, and then I started getting "Too Many Cards" errors, even with Tweed closed. So after 3 hours of idle/screen off multitasking, the Pre started choking and could barely keep two browser windows open.

Is this a typical experience? Honest question. Because there seems to be a gap between the native multitasking promise of WebOS and the day-to-day memory chomping reality...at least for me.

I'd love to hear it from you guys. Yeah, we've all had times where we were able to switch between Pandora and Sprint Nav while looking up something on the Web. I'm talking background multitasking over long periods of time. Has anyone else run into problems making this happen?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I had this thought too. The closest thing that I can think of that is the Active Home Screen on the Pre. Why can't the Pre run widgets like the Hero?
    I rarely get out of memory card errors, and they're not usually related to the number of cards I have open (or, that I keep open). I usually keep calendar, Tweed, email, and messaging cards open, and recently the homebrew battery monitor app. With those running, I don't typically get errors. When I do get the errors, it seems to be more related to running the browser for extended periods.

Really, I think that there's a great deal of optimization left for WebOS, as well as a learning curve for developers about how to write background apps. I think that with time and a few more updates, these issues will be resolved and we'll have a much more stable OS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I typically have 6-9 cards open at any given time during the day, about abour 4 or 5 are ALWAYS open, and I rarely get an out of memory error! Not sure if this helps or now, but I turn off my phone every night to charge on the touchstone and turn on in the morning (sometimes it wakes on its own, sometimes it doesn't). either way, I love the multitasking in WebOS and havent had many problems
    if i had a too many cards issue, it was a one off freak event, not an issue here.
    and widgets and cards cannot really be compared.
    Every now and again, give your Pre a reboot (orange + sym+ R). This keeps the known memory leak issue at bay. The HTC Hero is nice android device but the interface is very clunky and I believe it's underpowered per its specs (chip is not impressive). I'd rather see what the HTC Leo brings to the table. HTC Hero is a pass in my opinion.

As Vick said, cards and widgets are not really comparable.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    This issue sounds to me more like a memory leak in the browser than anything else. If so it would warrant a bug report, unless Palm already knows about it.

I would expect it be fixed eventualy, but your guess is as good as mine as to when.
  8.    #8  
    About the cards/widgets thing: Again, I know they are not 1:1, but wouldn't a device like the Hero be taxed harder since stuff like Twitter and weather is being pushed to the device as opposed to the Pre where you have to manually retrieve the info?
    These days I typically have the phone app, messaging, email and Agenda running. Most of the time I am ok, but every so once in a while I get the too many cards regardless of what I close and it gets extremely frustrating. Also throughout the day I get moments where the pre gets extremely slow, takes forever to switch cards, for apps to open, and all the animations because really choppy.

It comes and goes though. The too many cards is always fixed by a reboot, but the slowness sometimes happens hours after a reboot. I am still more than happy with the phone, but I am starting to wish it ran smoother.
    I've noticed that Too many Cards comes up with certain websites I've called up with the browser and the Camera and/or Photo App. They seem to tax the memory real hard. Also, the Pre does take some time to recover from Too Many Cards after I've closed some of them. It seems as though it can take upwards of 10 seconds for the system to restore/free the memory after a closed card.

I generally have email, tweed and messaging running all the time with the web occasionally. Never gets sluggish for me...even after a while.
    If I leave one browser page open all by itself for an extended period of time, even a mobile website like "m.precentral.net" I will have problems. Things will become sluggish and I will eventually get a too many cards error. The full facebook site does it even faster.

The browser has had a memory leak from the get go, and I think they fixed it a little in 1.04, but it's not completely vanquished yet. I have hopes for 1.2, as they did a lot of browser work it seems.

Without open browser windows, I can do 5 or 6 cards with no apparent slow down (though it seems Tweed sometimes will hurt things). My advice is to never leave a browser window open after you're done with it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    All I have to say is I occasionally still use my iPod Touch. I find myself trying to swipe the bottom to switch to an application or hitting the button only to realize i've closed the app. That frustrates me. The few stutters in this adolescent OS dont bother me much when I consider the next best alternative.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    All I have to say is I occasionally still use my iPod Touch. I find myself trying to swipe the bottom to switch to an application or hitting the button only to realize i've closed the app. That frustrates me. The few stutters in this adolescent OS dont bother me much when I consider the next best alternative.
    Sigh. Soooo missing the point of this discussion.
    what is the exact difference between widgets and cards? Thanks in advance!
    Palm themselves push the heck out of multi tasking as one of the Pre's best features.

With that being said, regardless of the reason, if your getting "too many cards open" are you really able to multi task?

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    if i had a too many cards issue, it was a one off freak event, not an issue here.
    and widgets and cards cannot really be compared.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I've noticed that Too many Cards comes up with certain websites I've called up with the browser and the Camera and/or Photo App. They seem to tax the memory real hard. Also, the Pre does take some time to recover from Too Many Cards after I've closed some of them. It seems as though it can take upwards of 10 seconds for the system to restore/free the memory after a closed card.

I generally have email, tweed and messaging running all the time with the web occasionally. Never gets sluggish for me...even after a while.
    I think the issue comes with the browser and sites that either run a lot of scripts or have a lot of pictures. The full Facebook site is a culprit because if I leave it open for a while, I can usually have messaging open, but trying to open just a third card brings up the too many cards notice. The main Facebook page continues to download information as long as it's open. A script of some sort repeatedly checks the news feed so that you don't have to reload the entire page to get updates.

But, right now I have a mobile website, the NFL app, tasks, email, contact list, Accuweather, Translator app, calendar, and messaging and it's running fine. I don't normally have that many cards, but I wanted to experiment.

Perhaps the browser needs to be optimized so that it doesn't let the memory usage extend past a set level. Because, other than that, I've yet to see any other combination of cards choke down the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not going to try and turn this into another cross-platform chat-bnound thread, but the appearance of the HTC Hero on Sprint has made me re-evaluate the way I use the Pre. I saw the seven home screens with running widgets for Twitter, weather, music, and contacts (among other things) all running smoothly and simultaneously.

I usually only keep 1-2 cards up at a time on my Pre, but it is very appealing that the Hero keeps all of this stuff at hand, so I decided - as an experiment - to try and mirror the HTC Sense interface with WebOS cards. I know widgets are not an exact 1:1 with apps, but close enough...

Anyway, this morning, I opened Tweed, Where's weather page, and left up browser windows on Welcome to Facebook | Facebook and one on the main bookmarks page. I didn't bother with Sprint NFL apps, music, or contacts even though the Hero displays all of them apparently seamlessly as well.

It worked fine for a few hours, and then I started getting "Too Many Cards" errors, even with Tweed closed. So after 3 hours of idle/screen off multitasking, the Pre started choking and could barely keep two browser windows open.

Is this a typical experience? Honest question. Because there seems to be a gap between the native multitasking promise of WebOS and the day-to-day memory chomping reality...at least for me.

I'd love to hear it from you guys. Yeah, we've all had times where we were able to switch between Pandora and Sprint Nav while looking up something on the Web. I'm talking background multitasking over long periods of time. Has anyone else run into problems making this happen?
    I only had the "too many cards" error the first week that i had the phone, back in june, and i don't know why (only had 2 or 3 open at the time). I haven't had it since then and i usually keep about 3 to 5 cards open during the day now. (And i turn it off to reboot every coupla days to keep it running smooth)
    -Hope that helps.
    I usually have a minimum of 8 cards open, so I'd say no, that's not normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I usually have a minimum of 8 cards open, so I'd say no, that's not normal.
    Yeah, but jhoff, you have the 1.2 now. Was it the same with that many cards b4 that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Yeah, but jhoff, you have the 1.2 now. Was it the same with that many cards b4 that?
    Yeah, the number of cards open hasn't really changed that I've noticed. I almost always have Messaging, Email, Calendar, Twee, Memos, Tasks, and then Music (even when not playing music) and Sprint Navigation (even when not GPS / navigation) open.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast