Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    <<unnecessary posts deleted>>

Note to all:
    # Taking Threads Off Topic - (aka Thread Crapping) While the interplay of a conversation on these forums will naturally wander, users must not intentionally try to derail a thread from its original topic.
    # Trolling - Do not engage in repeated attempts to start arguments, harass users, or draw users into a fight just for the sake of it. Flame bait posts or thread will be closed and/or deleted and can earn the poster an infraction.
    Do not troll or respond to trolls. Posters adding on to the same flaming or insulting post can earn the same infraction.
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    What I don't like is the Palm's Facebook App, but I don't see a need for it. I am curious why others use the actual FB apps on their phones....
    I can't speak for others, but I use the BB Facebook App all the time, as with my crappy BB built in browser and slowwwww EDGE speeds, the website not exactly convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    List some towns in Canada and I can test to see if accuweather knows them. It seemed to know Toronto. Also, there are some new apps coming out that actively change your background to show you the weather. It isn't a widget directly, but it is a clever idea.
    If you could try Sudbury, Acton, and Milton I'd appreciate it.

The new app "Agenda" in homebrew does agenda view very nicely.

The built in browser is getting a nice update this Thursday, and is currently considered on par with the iPhone browser. In some tests it has been faster. It is a very good browser IMO.
    Sweet! I LOVE iPhone's Safari browser, so even something half as good would rock my world!

Another thing to remember about the pre is the apps can talk to each other. So if you find an address using where, it can open up google maps and give you directions from your current location.
    It's funny you should mention that. I just started seeing Palm Pre commercials the other day that mention that feature, lol.

As far as e-mail goes, the pre's e-mail system is leaps and bounds better than the outlook variant in WinMo. I have never used a BB, so I can't comment there, but I have no problem keeping up with e-mails (I get ~40 a day relating my school).
    I hate WinMo's e-mail. It's one of the main reasons that WinMo was eliminated from my smartphone competition early on. StormD gave me a good rundown on the Pre's mail, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Honestly, one of my favorite things about the pre, is getting to watch it grow up. It seems like every day there is something new to look at and fiddle with.
    Honestly, I like the idea of getting in on the ground floor with something like this.
    I enjoy being an early adopter, as long as it doesn't keep me from getting work done.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    <<unnecessary posts deleted>>
    Thanks for taking care of the Trolling!
    Accuweather got all of those locations, and a few in the UK.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Most Excellent! (Sorry I was watching Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure on the weekend)

I also wanted to say a big thanks to all you who helped.
    The folks on the CrackBerry forums were MUCH less supportive and helpful in convincing me to stay.
    You can check out the other thread HERE

I gotta say, I've narrowed it down to the soon-to-be-released Bold(?) 9700 or the (hopefully) soon to be released GSM Pre...

And when you take price into account, the Pre is holding the lead right now...
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smnc View Post
    That's fine. I have been doing research, but it's been nearly impossible to go hands-on with a Pre up here in Canada.
    As you may have read, Bell employees weren't allowed to buy Pre's until recently, and I don't know anyone locally who owns one.
    All my friends and co-workers either have Berries or WinMo devices.
    I know a BB Tour and upcoming BB 9700 will meet my needs, and it looks like the Pre also will also meet my needs, but since I've not been able to play with a Pre yet, I thought I'd come to the source.
    Bell stores had Pre demo phones available since one week previous the launch day (August 27th). Go to the Bell store and play with the Pre to the death, before you decide is for you. You can also go to any Future Shop and ask the rep to show you the phone.

Personally, I did not need to go and play with the phone in a store. I simply read a lot on several forums and also watched a lot of videos into site reviews. That covered all my questions. You are buying a phone, not a house.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Bell stores had Pre demo phones available since one week previous the launch day (August 27th). You can also go to any Future Shop and ask the rep to show you the phone.
    Only one of the 3 Bell stores in my local area actually had a demo phone, it was taken off display and replaced with a dummy after about a week...?
    I haven't checked in the last 2 weeks to see if they have demo's now.

I might try Future Shop. I try to avoid going there as the high pressure sales tactics always make me want to tell the sales clerks to f!@# off. Still if it means getting quality time with a Pre, it might be worth the aggravation.

You are buying a phone, not a house.
    True, the money involved might be a lot less than a house, but this is going to be something I'll be using for an average of 4+ hours every day for the next 2+ years. Anything I have to interface with that much is going to warrant some serious hands on time.
    You can buy my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by czeitner View Post
    My favorite part of the Pre is the ability to run multiple Apps @ the same time. Let me give you a scenario that I have used quite a few times.

This is where I get on my and start selling.

Phone rings, it's the wife. She ask's me what my shedule is for the following Friday. So while I switch her over to speaker phone while my calander is opening, She say's the reason She needs to know is because some friends would like to go to the "Showbox" on Friday (Showbox is a venue, downtown Seattle that plays some great Rock / Metal / Reggae, you name it). Anyway, while looking at my calander, talking to the wife and "Now" looking up the "ShowBox" on the WWW, I shoot a text to a couple of buddies to see if they would like to go.

What I'm getting at is that you can run multiple programs at the same time. Not close one to get to the other (i.e. Iphone, BlackBerry and I believe absolutley everyone else).

I absolutley Love my Pre. I have had Blackberries, Win Mobile devices, the Instinct, and even had an Itouch (which went to the Boy) while using my Instinct.

The more Apps that arrive (Homebrew and App store), the happier I get.

By the way, email and texting works just fine. I have a Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail and my Work email all working just fine. Hope this helps!

My issue is that this is all well and good, but in my case. The calendar takes longer to open than the conversation lasts, the web takes 30s to boot up, and the texts don't go through cause of the lag and or the too many cards open issue. Great device, just not quite there yet to really do this stuff. Or mine sucks, can't tell
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterGibbons View Post
    My issue is that this is all well and good, but in my case. The calendar takes longer to open than the conversation lasts, the web takes 30s to boot up, and the texts don't go through cause of the lag and or the too many cards open issue. Great device, just not quite there yet to really do this stuff. Or mine sucks, can't tell
    So you find the Pre too slow?
    To give contrast to Peter Gibbon's statement, I find the pre's calendar just fine. It isn't instantaneous, but it is perfectly responsive. If you are in single day view, it will take half a second for each day to load, when you scroll between them.

However, I get around this by using week view and month view. You can also move to a specific day pretty easily.

Could it be faster? Yes. Does it get in the way? Not to me. But ultimately that comes down to preference.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Well, my Curve routinely gives me the middle finger (also known as the wait icon) for 10-30 seconds when switching, starting or exiting an app. So a second or two of wait time is nothing for me.
    Here's a test. Put two appointments 3 weeks apaert at certain time while someone is watching trying to sync up appointments. It takes at least 2 mins for me to open calendar, find day, enter title, adjust time, save. Theanother 2 mins to do it again. Pretty rough. Pre is great at ppints and slow at points...can't figure out why.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Anyone wanna try this?
    I am not sure what he is syncing with.

My sync to google calendar takes about 2 seconds when I force the sync. If he is talking about exchange, then I really can't comment as I don't use it.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I am not sure what he is syncing with.

My sync to google calendar takes about 2 seconds when I force the sync. If he is talking about exchange, then I really can't comment as I don't use it.
    Works for me... I use Google too...
    IIRC, auto sync is done every 15 min or so
    Nothing to do with sync for me. I use google calendar. It's just slow.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12