Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    here come the pre apologists out in full force!!
    My 7 year old Gateway Pc boots in 30 seconds, my old pos winmo phone booted in under a minute, and my ipod touch booted in less than a minute and a half.
    all you defenders fail. there is no reason a phone should take 3 mins to boot.
    why not concede the point that it needs to be reduced than ridicule people with the tired
    "why do you need to reboot your phone?" nonsense.
    I was just thinking that too... "What the heck is that thing loading up that has to take longer than Windows Vista to load on a desktop?" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    My 7 year old Gateway Pc boots in 30 seconds, my old pos winmo phone booted in under a minute, and my ipod touch booted in less than a minute and a half.
    why not concede the point that it needs to be reduced than ridicule people with the tired
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    My BB Storm took less time than the Pre, but that's ok for me...I just refuse to turn it off!
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    Linux OS & system services with WebOS on top booting from a 500 MHz CPU and radio acquisition... Doing more than meets the eye. Mine boots in just over 2 mins. Yes, I wish it was faster, but my gf's BB Curve takes a good 5 minutes. Also, as repeated ad nauseum, this is a fairly new device/OS and will continually be improved... Lets hope boot time is among the improvements

Also, it is well documented that the crash-on-close issue is due to a gap in the battery compartment. Wedge a small piece of paper in there or swap batteries at Sprint = problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsl5150 View Post
    trust me.....the pre does not take that long. Try powering on a blackberry storm.

right!
    it appears the more files and apps you have on the Pre, the slower it boots. Mine's filled with mp3's and it takes more than 3 minutes. I suspect part of the time is spend building a catalog of files in memory.
    it appears the more files and apps you have on the Pre, the slower it boots. Mine's filled with mp3's and it takes more than 3 minutes. I suspect part of the time is spend building a catalog of files in memory.
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Mine boots in 1 minute 50 seconds (30 or so HB apps and a modest MP3 collection)
    Rumor has it, 1.2 boots faster. We'll see.

ian
    Quote Originally Posted by MissG View Post
    right!
    I'll show you my storm 9500 running 4.7.0.173 next to the pre the storm is a good 1 to 2 min longer.
    I have to reboot fairly frequently - because of my wonderful Homebrew apps, I'm sure. I also have to reboot because I have to replace the battery occasionally.

So yeah, there are good reasons to have to reboot.

But y'know, feel free to waste time fussing because other people don't use their phones exactly like you do.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Apparently, I've got about 700 songs on my Pre, which doesn't even get into the hundreds of photos I've taken or the contacts I've entered or the applications I've installed.

Sheesh. And it's gonna get WORSE from here?

*crosses fingers for 1.2*
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pistos View Post
    Are you not allowed to use Airplane mode for this? Are train regs more restrictive than airplane regs?
    Yes FRA Rules are very clear on the electronic devices issue and if involved in a train wreck or other accident they will get your cell phone records and if there was a violation there is a $10000.00 fine (could be off on this alittle) so untill i can find a way to put my Pre on some sort of stand by where it doesnt completly shut down but cant use any fuctions adn i mean anything. I have to turn it off. Which sucks big time, but what else am i going to do.
  13. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ap78k View Post
    Yes FRA Rules are very clear on the electronic devices issue and if involved in a train wreck or other accident they will get your cell phone records and if there was a violation there is a $10000.00 fine (could be off on this alittle) so untill i can find a way to put my Pre on some sort of stand by where it doesnt completly shut down but cant use any fuctions adn i mean anything. I have to turn it off. Which sucks big time, but what else am i going to do.
    I'm pretty sure if your phone is in Airplane Mode then Sprint's records aren't going to show any activity for that time period.

xtn
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I'm pretty sure if your phone is in Airplane Mode then Sprint's records aren't going to show any activity for that time period.

xtn
    Well that could work until an official or FRA agent catches you with a electronic device on and then you up the creek. So I play it safe and trust me they are not messing around on this. I do ask if anybody out there has a way to put a Pre in some sort of stand by mode for a quick boot then please let me know. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ap78k View Post
    I personally have to turn my phone off at work because I work for a railraod and the FRA has rules against electronic devices being on while on a train. So the lenght of time the Pre takes to turn on and off is a big ouch when trying to check my phone really quick when stopped. But thats just me.
    Apparently the 1.2 update increases start up speed, so hold out till Thursday and see i**** see any improvmeents.

Edit: Somehow I misspelled "if you cant" up there. I will leave it to your imaginations.
    Last edited by drizek; 09/22/2009 at 10:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Trying to justify a lengthy boot by comparing to even slower devices doesn't make it right. These are solid state devices! There's no floppy disk in this thing!

I can boot to ubuntu Linux on my old (OLD!) 1GHz laptop in about half the time. How can that be? It's loading more and its got a slow old hard drive. I would expect the Pre to come up in less than a minute - two minutes tops, but that seems slow to me for what it should do.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I think the pre in general has a slow ssd, at least judging by the usb transfer rates. It is hars to say for sure though because the usb controller might be a bottleneck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebizz View Post
    I'll show you my storm 9500 running 4.7.0.173 next to the pre the storm is a good 1 to 2 min longer.
    My Curve took for EVER. I have a Touch that I've had for 2 years that ALSO takes forever...I guess I have low expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    I think the pre in general has a slow ssd, at least judging by the usb transfer rates. It is hars to say for sure though because the usb controller might be a bottleneck.
    I agree with this entirely. Transferring over Wifi with WinSCP is ridiculously slow as well, so it seems just that the flash memory is subpar.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    SERIOUSLY!!!

Many people blame that "too many apps" causes this. I find that to be BS because these apps don't tap into the OS or launch at startup. But IF thats the case then we are all screwed because if the phone chokes on 20 lightweight apps then how many days will it take to open when we have 100 apps?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast