1.    #1  
    I've had my Pre for about 5 weeks now and love it. I've been a Palm convert since the Palm Pilot and was ecstatic when I could leave my Blackberry days behind and move back to a Palm device. Anyways, during those 5 weeks I've charged my phone every night, religiously. I even picked up the Touchstone after a week and never looked back.

Well, last night something happened and my phone didn't get put on the charger. It was down to about 20% or so before I went to sleep. When I woke up and noticed that the phone wasn't on the charger I located it, found out that the battery was completely dead, then put the phone on the TS for a few minutes before I left for work. I didn't get the familiar "bong" when the phone started charging. Instead I got a picture of a battery with a red line at the bottom. After about 5 minutes I got the "palm" line in the middle of the screen but no fading in and out between 2 images. It just stayed on the "non glowing" version of the word "palm". I figured the battery was too far gone for a quick charge so I took my TS to work and let the phone charge for about 3.5 hours. Still got the same thing. I took my phone to Sprint and they changed the battery for one that was fully charged, same thing. They're ordering me a replacement phone so that's good but I really liked the build quality of my phone (no oreo, no scratching, etc) and don't want to take my chances with a refurb.

Has anyone ever heard of a fully discharged battery causing a Pre to simply not work? Thanks.
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    well, once when my battery died, I got the giant red battery as well, and it was stuck like that for about an hour. I then pulled the battery, and put it back in, and all was fine. this happened when I first got the phone (version 1.0 something)

since then, I've had the battery die, and I get the giant red battery, but after abotu 10 minutes, the phone proceeds to boot up fine.

if pulling the battery (which you've already tried) didnt work, the only things i can think to try would be 1) leave the battery out for even longer, 2) run webOSdoctor.
  3.    #3  
    I had the battery out for an hour at work and same thing. Since the phone won't boot up, would WebOS Doctor be able to do anything?
    Terry Rodecker

Palm Pilot -> Palm V -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 700wx -> ppc6700 -> BB 8830 -> Pre -> iPhone (company requirement) -> TouchPad
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    I believe if you hold the power up button (could be down.. not 100% sure) while turning on the pre, it will go straight to a USB mode, where webOSdoctor can rewrite everything.
    I had a similar experience a long time ago with WebOS 1.04. I was trying to wipe my Pre and it got stuck on the screen with the non-glowing Palm logo. During that time, the battery stopped charging. It then changed to the screen with large battery icon with the red line at the bottom and eventually even that would not come on the screen. WebOS doctor would not reload the OS because it requires the battery to be charged at a certain percentage.

I went into a Sprint store and borrowed a charged battery and used the magic key sequence to power on the phone to use WebOS doctor. Thankfully, the phone came back alive. I think as others have noted, it appears to be practically impossible to brick a Pre.

To this day though, I still get nervous when the battery runs down too low because of how long it takes to get back to the boot screen.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    used the magic key sequence to power on the phone to use WebOS doctor.
    What's the magic key sequence? Like you the doctor isn't seeing my phone right now.
    Terry Rodecker

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    Have you tried the wired charger? I thought I've seen others report
    a few times that you can't reliably charge a dead battery using the TS.

ian
  8.    #8  
    Daemon,

Yes, tried the wired charger with the same results.

I did get it working last night. I found a magic key sequence in another thread (hold the volume up button when powering on the phone automatically puts it in the USB mode). I was able to use WebOS Doctor to reload my phone and now all is well. I lost all my pictures, apps, etc, but considering I've got my phone back, it was a worthy trade.

I'M WHOLE AGAIN!!!!

Thanks everyone!
    Terry Rodecker

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trodecke View Post
    I've had my Pre for about 5 weeks now and love it. I've been a Palm convert since the Palm Pilot and was ecstatic when I could leave my Blackberry days behind and move back to a Palm device. Anyways, during those 5 weeks I've charged my phone every night, religiously. I even picked up the Touchstone after a week and never looked back.

Well, last night something happened and my phone didn't get put on the charger. It was down to about 20% or so before I went to sleep. When I woke up and noticed that the phone wasn't on the charger I located it, found out that the battery was completely dead, then put the phone on the TS for a few minutes before I left for work. I didn't get the familiar "bong" when the phone started charging. Instead I got a picture of a battery with a red line at the bottom. After about 5 minutes I got the "palm" line in the middle of the screen but no fading in and out between 2 images. It just stayed on the "non glowing" version of the word "palm". I figured the battery was too far gone for a quick charge so I took my TS to work and let the phone charge for about 3.5 hours. Still got the same thing. I took my phone to Sprint and they changed the battery for one that was fully charged, same thing. They're ordering me a replacement phone so that's good but I really liked the build quality of my phone (no oreo, no scratching, etc) and don't want to take my chances with a refurb.

Has anyone ever heard of a fully discharged battery causing a Pre to simply not work? Thanks.
    This is typical. Happens to me all the time. After about 10 minutes of charging you just need to turn it on. It does not auto turn on.
    Number of Pre's in household: 2, one for my wife and one for myself.
    Follow me on Twitter @Nhyde
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    After about 10 minutes of charging you just need to turn it on.
    Thanks. I actually did that several dozen times in total and all it would ever do is sit at the "palm" screen until either I pulled the battery or the battery died.
    Terry Rodecker

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyde View Post
    This is typical. Happens to me all the time. After about 10 minutes of charging you just need to turn it on. It does not auto turn on.
    Mine turns on once it reaches a certain charge level.
    And I've run my batter dead at least a dozen times.

My wife has probably run hers dead 200 times... Yes I realize that Pre has not been out for 200 days but you don't know my wife and her uncanny "gift" for charging electronic devices.
    When you run the phone completely dead it is best to use the wall-charger and not a USB port. With a USB port the phone will sit there on that battery logo for about 20 minutes before it finally can power up. USB charging is *slow*.

With the wall charger? About two minutes and you're up and running.

I charge my Pre right next to my computer at home but I still use the wall charger for this reason. It charges faster too. Need to sync or transfer data? Trivial to move the USB plug from the wall charger to the computer.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    When you run the phone completely dead it is best to use the wall-charger and not a USB port.
    Thanks for the tip but the charging was being done using the TS for the first couple of hours then using the travel charger in the USB port. I never connected it to a PC. In any event it works now and I've learned my lesson. I won't let the battery run completely down ever again.
    Terry Rodecker