Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    I haven't used PayPal for a while and my info needed updating. As PayPal will be the only way to pay for apps, I decided to update or resolve, to use PayPal's expression, my info. I called them and the first call resulted in a service rep telling me what to do. I needed to resolve three things - a new password, etc. The third item needing resolution was confirming a non-cell phone telephone number on their website. I entered my landline number numerous times - always receiving the response that cell phone numbers would not work. This resulted in six calls to PayPal with many disconnected calls and not being able to reach a representative. If my experience is typical, there will be a lot of unhappy Pre owners trying to buy apps via PayPal.
  2. #2  
    I thought the complete opposite was true, they were only accepting credit card payments at the get go
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by sactowild View Post
    I haven't used PayPal for a while and my info needed updating. As PayPal will be the only way to pay for apps, I decided to update or resolve, to use PayPal's expression, my info. I called them and the first call resulted in a service rep telling me what to do. I needed to resolve three things - a new password, etc. The third item needing resolution was confirming a non-cell phone telephone number on their website. I entered my landline number numerous times - always receiving the response that cell phone numbers would not work. This resulted in six calls to PayPal with many disconnected calls and not being able to reach a representative. If my experience is typical, there will be a lot of unhappy Pre owners trying to buy apps via PayPal.
    Yeah, i doubt thats typical.

    over 10 years with Paypal here and haven't had one complaint yet. Plus RIM users paypal for their app store as well.
  4. #4  
    I'm pretty sure from what I have read and seen that you use a credit card to buy apps from your phone. The Paypal account is mandated for app developers who want to get paid for their apps.
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

    I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
  5. #5  
    Isn't the PayPal account req for Devs so they can get paid. Not for users?
  6. #6  
    I believe that they are using PayPal as the method to pay developers. Consumers purchasing applications can use credit cards.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sactowild View Post
    I haven't used PayPal for a while and my info needed updating. As PayPal will be the only way to pay for apps, I decided to update or resolve, to use PayPal's expression, my info. I called them and the first call resulted in a service rep telling me what to do. I needed to resolve three things - a new password, etc. The third item needing resolution was confirming a non-cell phone telephone number on their website. I entered my landline number numerous times - always receiving the response that cell phone numbers would not work. This resulted in six calls to PayPal with many disconnected calls and not being able to reach a representative. If my experience is typical, there will be a lot of unhappy Pre owners trying to buy apps via PayPal.
    That's for DEVELOPERS only...
  8. #8  
    Thank god no paypal for buying apps. That would have annoyed me. Just let me enter my cc# and be done with it.
  9. wodin's Avatar
    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    Thank god no paypal for buying apps. That would have annoyed me. Just let me enter my cc# and be done with it.
    X2
  10. #10  
    So I guess this means even less for the developer. 70/30 split with Palm becomes 65/30/5(paypal)? And this the only means of paying them?
    ______________________________
    Palm loyalist: Samsung SGH-i500>Treo 600>650>755P>Pre- #1>>Pre- #2>Pre- #3>Pre- #4>Pre- #5>Pre- #6
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by algee650 View Post
    So I guess this means even less for the developer. 70/30 split with Palm becomes 65/30/5(paypal)? And this the only means of paying them?
    No, Paypal doesn't always take fees from transactions. Like stores that offer Paypal checkout don't charge you more.

    Its prob. built into the split already.
  12. #12  
    Corrected OP to match facts. Users in fact are not going to be allowed to use PayPal at least not initially.

    - Craig
  13. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No, Paypal doesn't always take fees from transactions. Like stores that offer Paypal checkout don't charge you more.

    Its prob. built into the split already.
    I can't see how? Palm is simply saying "you need a paypal account" they are not acting as an intermediary between the developer and paypal.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by efmw117 View Post
    I believe that they are using PayPal as the method to pay developers. Consumers purchasing applications can use credit cards.
    This.

    And I have never had any problems with paypal.
  15. #15  
    I would be extremely UNHAPPY if PayPal would not be a choice for paying for apps. Nothing is safer... certainly NOT credit cards and PayPal is convenient as any other funding source, if not moreso.

    Seems to be a step backwards if they would choose not to accept PayPal as a funding source!

    I can get into my PayPal account without having to reach into my wallet so I prefer it over any other choice.

    I am actually surprised that with all the "tech savy" "early adopters" here that there is even a question about PayPal being a preferred alternative???
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Featherman View Post
    I would be extremely UNHAPPY if PayPal would not be a choice for paying for apps. Nothing is safer... certainly NOT credit cards and PayPal is convenient as any other funding source, if not moreso.

    Seems to be a step backwards if they would choose not to accept PayPal as a funding source!

    I can get into my PayPal account without having to reach into my wallet so I prefer it over any other choice.

    I am actually surprised that with all the "tech savy" "early adopters" here that there is even a question about PayPal being a preferred alternative???
    I feel a lot safer with a credit card actually. The reason being, is the initial payment is done by the credit card company and not you. If my credit card number is leaked, I am federal protect for every $ over $50 I believe. If your paypal info is leaked, you bank account can be directly messed with. In that case I don't believe there is a lot you can do to recover your money.

    Also, I earn cash back with my credit card
  17. #17  
    Yes, you are actually covered better through your CC company. Plus, PAYPALs coverage is usually not 100% of the purchase amount when it's over $200. Also, if anywhere along the line of a transaction there is an issue (buyer, seller, someone the buyer dealt with at the same time, plus much much more) PP can and will freeze your funds for 180 days. I rarely use PP unless I have to..and I am very TECH SAVVY!

Posting Permissions